Type 1.5 Accuchek Aviva Expert discontinued

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Reposting this in Ask a Question in the hope that some of you more techie members can help me:
Sorry for the long ramble but I am looking for advice: My meter has been playing up for sometime by intermittently refusing to waken up when either switched on or a test strip inserted usually when I'm out and about! My DSN gave me a replacement which does exactly the same thing. I can solve the problem by taking the batteries out, putting them back in different order and wiggling them about. This is ridiculous so eventually I rang the Roche helpline where a helpful techie verbally gives me a very long list of reboot instructions and tells me I should be carrying a back-up meter with me at all times anyway. Now my DSN tells me the Expert meter is discontinued and the next time I see her we'll talk about the new version which will need to talk to my phone. This is a concern for me as I'm a teensy bit of a technophobe so thoughts and advice would be much appreciated, in particular if there's any particular smart phone which would be recommended as I suspect I will need a new one of these also.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes they are being discontinued as of December 2020 but there is absolutely no reason you need to change to the Accu-Chek Mobile meter if you don't want to, the Aviva strips are still being produced

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Yes they are being discontinued as of December 2020 but there is absolutely no reason you need to change to the Accu-Chek Mobile meter if you don't want to, the Aviva strips are still being produced
What is the replacement for expert expected to be ?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the replacement for expert expected to be ?
To have a bolus calculator available it will be the Accu-Chek Mobile meter paired with the MySugr app that they are wanting people to use BUT as I've said if you've got a working Expert then there is absolutely no need to rush into switching to another meter as the strips are still being and will be being produced xx

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks - it's good to know that I have until the end of the year, but I'll have to make a change then. It would be good to know if anyone has already done so and whether there's anything I should look out for.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because my current meter is unreliable as described and one day when I really really need to test my own solution is not going to wake it up.
I read your other post too, your DSN is wrong , if you require a bolus calculator then you require the accu chek mobile which comes with a cassette of 50 tests, the only meter that will use the same strips as the expert are other variations of aviva meters, if you dont require the bolus calculator then contact Roche and they may supply you with an Aviva as a spare as they did me the other year, may I ask what batteries you are using in it?

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I am using long acting Tresiba with Humalog bolus with carb counting so I am reliant on the Expert meter to do this for me, going back to the previous Avivas without this functionality seems a backward step. Thank you for your help I will research this more with my DSN when I see her in May.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I am using long acting Tresiba with Humalog bolus with carb counting so I am reliant on the Expert meter to do this for me, going back to the previous Avivas without this functionality seems a backward step. Thank you for your help I will research this more with my DSN when I see her in May.
Ok I wasn't criticising, I too am on Tresiba but Novoropid as bolus insulin, I generally work out my doses myself these days, do you use the Libre at all? xx

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I wasn't criticising, I too am on Tresiba but Novoropid as bolus insulin, I generally work out my doses myself these days, do you use the Libre at all? xx
Hi - My maths is not great and as I have so many variables getting the Expert meter was fab, hence my frustration at the thought of going back to the standard Aviva. I don't use Libre and in fact have never been offered it. To be honest I don't fancy having the disc stuck in me all the time. I've stuck with Roche and the Aviva meters since diagnosis but maybe I should look at alternatives too.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - My maths is not great and as I have so many variables getting the Expert meter was fab, hence my frustration at the thought of going back to the standard Aviva. I don't use Libre and in fact have never been offered it. To be honest I don't fancy having the disc stuck in me all the time. I've stuck with Roche and the Aviva meters since diagnosis but maybe I should look at alternatives too.
the Libre meter has a bolus calculator function so that could be a possibility for you to look into, it wouldn't mean you need to use the sensors as it only gives bolus advice from a blood test xx

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
the Libre meter has a bolus calculator function so that could be a possibility for you to look into, it wouldn't mean you need to use the sensors as it only gives bolus advice from a blood test xx
Oooh - many thanks for that. I'm definitely going to look into this further.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Outlawe you never mentioned what batteries you were using in the Expert meter? There are quite a few unaware that Roche only authorise the use of the batteries they supply for what reason I don't know but that's just the way it is with them xx

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Abbott no longer have the meter when I asked its now discontinued

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Abbott no longer have the meter when I asked its now discontinued
Funny that considering it's still available on their web shop as just the reader or in the starter pack, Libre education sessions still providing them a long with those that are on 2 week trials of the Libre and I highly doubt they are going to discontinue it completely seen as it's used for blood and ketone tests, they may be stopping to make way for the Libre 2 but trust me I've just looked at the web shop and they are still available at the moment

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Funny that considering it's still available on their web shop as just the reader or in the starter pack, Libre education sessions still providing them a long with those that are on 2 week trials of the Libre and I highly doubt they are going to discontinue it completely seen as it's used for blood and ketone tests, they may be stopping to make way for the Libre 2 but trust me I've just looked at the web shop and they are still available at the moment
I was talking about the insulinx as it was alterative meter for bolus calculations rather than just a reading

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was talking about the insulinx as it was alterative meter for bolus calculations rather than just a reading
you quoted my post about the Libre stating it had been discontinued when it hasn't so there was no need for you to quote my post when you are on about a different meter to what I suggested so your comment makes no sense considering I was suggesting the Libre for the on board bolus calculator

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
you quoted my post about the Libre stating it had been discontinued when it hasn't so there was no need for you to quote my post when you are on about a different meter to what I suggested so your comment makes no sense considering I was suggesting the Libre for the on board bolus calculator
The meter by abbott that calculates doses has been discontinued so that is what the point is this thread is about accuchek expert being discontinued and as yet no other meter does bolus calculations

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The meter by abbott that calculates doses has been discontinued so that is what the point is this thread is about accuchek expert being discontinued and as yet no other meter does bolus calculations
The Freestyle Libre meter/reader does have a bolus calculator function! and is readily available! Tried to upload picks of book but too large so read further down this article - https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/freestyle-libre/faqs it DOES have a bolus calculator i have one right in front of me!