Food Advice - Help!

Belles

Hi

I was diagnosed in October as T2. I have since lost 2.5 stone by lowering my carbs but my sugars are still high so my medication has been doubled (200mg Metformin).

I try to watch what I eat but it’s clearly not working as my last reading was high over 3 months.

Can anyone recommend some good recipe books or some blogs etc that deal with eating when diabetic etc.

Any advice is appreciated!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Belles

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I was diagnosed in October as T2. I have since lost 2.5 stone by lowering my carbs but my sugars are still high so my medication has been doubled (200mg Metformin).

I try to watch what I eat but it’s clearly not working as my last reading was high over 3 months.

Can anyone recommend some good recipe books or some blogs etc that deal with eating when diabetic etc.

Start with simple foods since they're easy to carb-count.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to stick to foods which are 10 percent carbs or less, and check recipes as there are so many which are labelled as diabetic friendly and they simply are not - not for everyone. Being entirely diet controlled means that I do not do 'treats' and the idea of making a fairly high carb item and eating a tiny amount of it each day until it goes off or stale doesn't appeal.
If you only have the Hba1c tests to judge by, consider buying a meter and test strips, so you can check after meals and see that you are not spiking due to certain foods, or too much of them. With any luck you might find that you can eat some foods which are unsuitable for others - I found that everything likely to spike me did exactly that, but at least I knew that and did not go bumbling along in ignorance.

Reactions: DJC3 and Belles

Liverbird690

Hi

Dr Michael Mosley has written an excellent book on the Ketogenic diet. I have followed the keto diet, I have lost 4st 8lb so far (in 8 months) I am now in the pre diabetic range and I am hopeful of going into remission in the next few months. I haven't taken any diabetic medications whatsoever. You really have to check those food labels and weigh your food, don't just guess. If you have a phone download my fitness pal app and log into it everything you eat - no cheating :) it's hard, but it can be done. Good luck.

Belles

Dr Michael Mosley has written an excellent book on the Ketogenic diet. I have followed the keto diet, I have lost 4st 8lb so far (in 8 months) I am now in the pre diabetic range and I am hopeful of going into remission in the next few months. I haven't taken any diabetic medications whatsoever. You really have to check those food labels and weigh your food, don't just guess. If you have a phone download my fitness pal app and log into it everything you eat - no cheating :) it's hard, but it can be done. Good luck.

Thank you. I have bought his blood sugar book so going to see how I get on with that!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d recommend the diet doctor website too. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods
they have loads of recipes and a lot of information, articles and videos to help you understand what’s happening in your body when you eat.
I also used an app called Carbs & Cals quite a lot, to record food and meals - there are photos to show portion sizes too which is often overlooked.
Good luck, you will get there.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DitchTheCarbs.com is another favourite of mine with advice and recipes.