Type 2 Too much meat and salt

Spy184

In trying to avoid carbs I’ve found I’m eating a lot of red meat and salt (in bacon, ham, cheese, sausage etc.). I do eat fish and chicken but to vary the diet I find I’m eating too much of the above. Any tips gratefully received as the salt isn’t good for my blood pressure!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In trying to avoid carbs I’ve found I’m eating a lot of red meat and salt (in bacon, ham, cheese, sausage etc.). I do eat fish and chicken but to vary the diet I find I’m eating too much of the above. Any tips gratefully received as the salt isn’t good for my blood pressure!
do you have healthy kidneys?

Can you tell us what type of diabetic you are, and what diabetes medications you are on, as that information helps with our replies. Different types of diabetics and different medications affect our dietary choices.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you measure your blood pressure at home?
You might be surprised to find that it drops quite naturally on a meat based diet..assuming it was high in the first place and not just "white coat syndrome"

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I boil bacon for a minute or so, just to remove the preservatives but it gets rid of the salt too. I do the boiling in the frying pan, sieve out the bacon then fry it. Otherwise, I don't bother all that much - I find that in hot weather I get cramps and need to add in salt, so obviously my consumption is not all that problematic.
I do look for lower salt in cheese, but only because I once found a highly salted cheese and it was not nice.

D

Deleted member 308541

My blood pressure is good, and I have salt on all of my main meals.

I eat plenty of meat and bacon as well...

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are eating less processed food on low carb then the salt in bacon might not be so bad as we usually have to make an effort to add more salt into a low carb diet - is your blood pressure worse?

Spy184

do you have healthy kidneys?

Can you tell us what type of diabetic you are, and what diabetes medications you are on, as that information helps with our replies. Different types of diabetics and different medications affect our dietary choices.

I’m type 2 and not on medication.

Spy184

If you are eating less processed food on low carb then the salt in bacon might not be so bad as we usually have to make an effort to add more salt into a low carb diet - is your blood pressure worse?

I don’t know if it’s worse. I don’t have a home monitor but just worried.

Spy184

I boil bacon for a minute or so, just to remove the preservatives but it gets rid of the salt too. I do the boiling in the frying pan, sieve out the bacon then fry it. Otherwise, I don't bother all that much - I find that in hot weather I get cramps and need to add in salt, so obviously my consumption is not all that problematic.
I do look for lower salt in cheese, but only because I once found a highly salted cheese and it was not nice.

Thanks for the tip

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d be wary of doing low carb and cutting salts too much. Salt intake is more frequently too low than too high on this way of eating and can make you feel really quite rubbish.

Do you have a history of high blood pressure? Or are your concerns based on prior nhs and media portrayals of what you should and shouldn’t eat? Because they really aren’t that accurate especially for a type 2.

If you’re concerned does your surgery have a bp machine in the waiting area you can pop in and use, or a local chemist? A home meter isn’t too expensive if you’re really concerned.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Due to health problems I have had to cut out salt all together. In the beginning its xxxxxx hard, but its doeable. As an alternative I use spices to tart up the food taste. Tried many spices and after a few months of perseverence I now seem to have got it right.

Luckily spices are effective in small quantities as they mostly contain large quantities of carbohydrates.

Again the transition period of eliminating salt is really tough, but for me at least, the reward in improved health has been great . I wish you all the best in your efforts to reach your goals.

Reactions: Spy184

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What health problems are you talking about? Hi blood pressure or kidney disease? Or high sodium levels etc. Hyperinsulinemia pushes you blood pressure up as it prevents kidneys from excreting sodium. General medical response is to deny you salt rather than treat the insulin problem. I'm not sure of the numbers, but most folk on low carb go off their BP medication.

Reactions: HSSS

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What health problems are you talking about? Hi blood pressure or kidney disease? Or high sodium levels etc. Hyperinsulinemia pushes you blood pressure up as it prevents kidneys from excreting sodium. General medical response is to deny you salt rather than treat the insulin problem. I'm not sure of the numbers, but most folk on low carb go off their BP medication.

Heart failure, cancer and diabetes. Hope that answers your question.