What to eat

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So scan came back and no stone (although they think I’ve passed it) slight signs of infection in bloods so on antibiotics.

problem now is I can’t face my usual food. The thought makes me feel icky.
Dr wants me to eat (although I was getting glorious sugars while I wasn’t lol)

she’s said she is happier for me to eat bread than say sweets just as long as I’m eating.
But just had 2 toast and I feel lousy. Mouth feels weird and I feel really odd. So assuming my sugars have gone high (out at mo as getting painkillers and haven’t bought kit.
So I really need to force myself back into Diabetes friendly food.

many suggestions please?
I usually have mattessons sausage but really no, the thought puts me off.

might try get up for lunch see if I can cope with that. Thought Of that isn’t as bad.

but really need to not eat carbs. It’s good but the high feeling isn’t all that nice either.
Suppose I’m looking fir something as dry as bread and pasta but not being them

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So scan came back and no stone (although they think I’ve passed it) slight signs of infection in bloods so on antibiotics.

she’s said she is happier for me to eat bread than say sweets just as long as I’m eating.
But just had 2 toast and I feel lousy. Mouth feels weird and I feel really odd. So assuming my sugars have gone high (out at mo as getting painkillers and haven’t bought kit.

many suggestions please?

might try get up for lunch see if I can cope with that. Thought Of that isn’t as bad.

but really need to not eat carbs. It’s good but the high feeling isn’t all that nice either.

What about something simple like scrambled eggs, or if cooking is a bit of a stretch some yoghurt? OK, not dry, but it might be how I'd go for a bit of dense nutrition.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

many suggestions please?

Is keto mug bread an option? It's a little bready, and you can toast it... (15 g of melted butter, 22 g of almond flour and ½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix. Then add an egg and mix. Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds. Slice and toast if preferred.).

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being ill is horrible and it’s quite natural to be off your food. Maybe if you can tell us the taste or textures you are craving/fancying we could suggest some low carb alternatives :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
What about something simple like scrambled eggs, or if cooking is a bit of a stretch some yoghurt? OK, not dry, but it might be how I'd go for a bit of dense nutrition.
I didn’t think we could have yoghurt?
I know we can’t have bread either but though yoghurt was as bad.
(My brain really isn’t working, think I’ve gone fairly high)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Being ill is horrible and it’s quite natural to be off your food. Maybe if you can tell us the taste or textures you are craving/fancying we could suggest some low carb alternatives :)
Toast! Anything like that. Nice and dry. Had marmite this morning and that was fine but dint want spice and mattessons seem to be but sliney and douce albeit not strong

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Full fat greek yoghurt is fine. Maybe with some berries tossed in.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Full fat greek yoghurt is fine. Maybe with some berries tossed in.
I was avoiding fruit as cholesterol went up last time. Although dint suppose toast is much better!
Thank you I’ll try some.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Is keto mug bread an option? It's a little bready, and you can toast it... (15 g of melted butter, 22 g of almond flour and ½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix. Then add an egg and mix. Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds. Slice and toast if preferred.).
I’ll have a go. I think I tried something like this for dumplings. Didn’t work for them but this might

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Yes that might work. Although thinking about it is t quite working. Think I might need to force it though

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So maybe make some low carb crackers or granola - mug bread is ok but not like bread in any way I use it for toast with stews and soup but I don’t think it’s what you are looking for - blobs of cheese on greaseproof paper in the oven until it bubbles and browns slightly, let it cool and you have some great cheesy crisps. Fathead pizza dough cut into squares for crackers.

if you don’t really feel like cooking/eating then try and get the lowest carb bread possible. As long as you are drinking being off food for a couple of days shouldn’t be a problem if you aren’t taking your diabetic meds. If you like marmite make a drink with it and have a toasted mug bread or cracker with that.

Do you avoid flour altogether? If not you can get some crackers in M&S that are about 2.5g carb per cracker so a couple of those with butter and cheese may be ok

M

Member496333

When it comes to the world of type 2 diabetes and blood glucose, my little jingle is “Toast is Most”.

Few things bump blood glucose more than wheat. Resist all temptation. Hope you feel better soon :nurse:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Nice, full-fat yoghurt is fine.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
After all that two hours later I’m 6.3 so it’s lower than when I got up.
Although I’m fairness I was getting painkillers from chemist and getting food so potentially worked it off.

maybe I’ll test again later as assuming this is weird anomoly.
Maybe my feeling nasty earlier wasn’t the sugars although I was really really sluggish and foggy like high

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was avoiding fruit as cholesterol went up last time. Although dint suppose toast is much better!
Thank you I’ll try some.
It may be the antibiotics that are doing things to your taste and appetite. If so, it wont last long.