What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a pkt of Wildings crackling.
Dinner: beef meatballs with sauce and garlic creamy fried leek followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola.

D6CB4B8C-597D-4386-A952-218494F81C58.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262- I immediately thought of you this morning when I heard on the early news that the flood barriers had been breached. I do hope they subside soon. @Chook - lovely to see you back too although sorry - carpel tunnel and arthritis?? Join @Brunneria in the hot tub? @DJC3 - does your ASDA have free range chicken thighs? @ianpspurs - glad to hear Julie is improving.
Nice bright day today, crisp but power cuts. We now have power restored. Nothing like getting plunged into total darkness in the middle of dinner. Still, it was completed by candlelight once I found them. Bed 5.2 FBG 5.3. BGs are nice and stable and....I dropped 2lbs this week. So, 7 and a bit weeks in I've lost 10lbs. Feeling quite chuffed with that.
B. Just TAG
L. The other half of the pizza omelette (I like it cold too @DJC3)
D. The DD chicken caesar salad. I was a bit heavy with the garlic. My breath is pretty strong currently but very enjoyable.
20200226_202533.jpeg

mouseee

Weird day....
Felt peculiar this morning... funny tummy.... still there... not quite sure why

Breakfast coffee
Lunch - took bolognese to work but didn't fancy eating so had a couple of my peanut butter - I've decided to call them - treats.
Dinner - pork with roast veg and bizarrely, a battered sausage from the chippy bought home by husband.

Hba1c results were 39 and merited a phone call from the nurse to congratulate me! She still wants me to aim for more weight loss and get my BMI down more. Wants me to stay on metformin which I'm ok with at the moment. I have been less strict this last three months so I must be getting a decent balance. I'd like to get bs lower still but thanks to you lot I've gone pretty well so far!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weird day....
Felt peculiar this morning... funny tummy.... still there... not quite sure why

Breakfast coffee
Lunch - took bolognese to work but didn't fancy eating so had a couple of my peanut butter - I've decided to call them - treats.
Dinner - pork with roast veg and bizarrely, a battered sausage from the chippy bought home by husband.

Hba1c results were 39 and merited a phone call from the nurse to congratulate me! She still wants me to aim for more weight loss and get my BMI down more. Wants me to stay on metformin which I'm ok with at the moment. I have been less strict this last three months so I must be getting a decent balance. I'd like to get bs lower still but thanks to you lot I've gone pretty well so far!
Congratulations on your hbaca1 what a reduction from your diagnosis hbaca1 of 101 and brilliant that your DN rang to give congratulations too x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262- I immediately thought of you this morning when I heard on the early news that the flood barriers had been breached. I do hope they subside soon. @Chook - lovely to see you back too although sorry - carpel tunnel and arthritis?? Join @Brunneria in the hot tub? @DJC3 - does your ASDA have free range chicken thighs? @ianpspurs - glad to hear Julie is improving.
Nice bright day today, crisp but power cuts. We now have power restored. Nothing like getting plunged into total darkness in the middle of dinner. Still, it was completed by candlelight once I found them. Bed 5.2 FBG 5.3. BGs are nice and stable and....I dropped 2lbs this week. So, 7 and a bit weeks in I've lost 10lbs. Feeling quite chuffed with that.
B. Just TAG
L. The other half of the pizza omelette (I like it cold too @DJC3)
D. The DD chicken caesar salad. I was a bit heavy with the garlic. My breath is pretty strong currently but very enjoyable.View attachment 38967

A nice romantic dinner by candlelight then Maglil55? Good news about your stable BGs and weight loss. My BGs have also been a lot more stable since starting this. Weight is also stable but that’s fine, it was all about BG for me.
Not sure if my Asda do free range chicken thighs, I should have looked but doubt I’ll go back for a couple of weeks. I might go to Waitrose though as daughter’s partner works there and has given me a ‘friends and family’ discount card worth 15% off. Not to be sneezed at.
I’ve found a lot of these recipes are quite heavy in the raw garlic. I quite like it too, but not sure those around me are so enamoured.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve found a lot of these recipes are quite heavy in the raw garlic. I quite like it too, but not sure those around me are so enamoured.
Just make sure they have some as well and they won't notice your stink ;)
I clearly remember that one morning after my dog had eaten spaghetti and I had had to make do with whatever emergency supplies I had in my cabin (I worked on a sailing ship with tourists and I was late for dinner. The guests did save a portion of garlic-heavy spaghetti bolognese for my dog but not for me :banghead:). The wake-up doggy kisses were impressive. It didn't happen often that he had garlic and I didn't, luckily.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just make sure they have some as well and they won't notice your stink ;)
I clearly remember that one morning after my dog had eaten spaghetti and I had had to make do with whatever emergency supplies I had in my cabin (I worked on a sailing ship with tourists and I was late for dinner. The guests did save a portion of garlic-heavy spaghetti bolognese for my dog but not for me :banghead:). The wake-up doggy kisses were impressive. It didn't happen often that he had garlic and I didn't, luckily.

Well that’s given me my first laugh of the day! Garlic dog breath! Must be nearly as nice as when I slipped over down a muddy bank and my dog came bounding over to see what I was doing on the ground ( playtime?) He covered my face with licks, which would have been a lot nicer if he hadn’t just been eating horse poo!

Reactions: ianpspurs

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 27/02/2020
Made phonecalls even though that made super super anxious. Watched a couple of episodes of the BBC series "The Good Life" 1975, such a classic and enjoyable series. Was at my parents place for lunch and the after noon which always calms me, and was warmer then mine.

Breakfast: 53g rolled oats, 65g fresh blueberries, 20g vanilla protein powder, 153g full fat yoghurt, 0.6cup milk in 6 coffees.

Snack: 9 almonds

Lunch: 120g tuna in spring water, 26g full fat cheese, 66g pear, 200g cabbage carrot coleslaw mix, mustard, salt pepper. was a really nice lunch. Sugar free mountain dew, one black coffee, one white coffee 20ml milk.

Dinner: 2 large egg, 2 white corn tortilla, 120g baby spinach, 77g mushroom, 106g raw cucumber, mustard, salt, papper.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Goonergal. I think I will spend my birthday money on one.
Today I have had 24 hour slow cooked lambs heart and cauli mash. It was OK but I have had a bad day and wanted any fast food going or lots of chocolate. Have so far resisted temptation.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Today had two slices LL toast as woke up hungry, thick with Cornish salted butter and tea x2. Lunch was egg mayo, lettuce and one cooked and cooled sausage.
Finally found meaty sausages I actually like, M&S Old Farmhouse, after trying lots and not liking the flavour or texture. Suppwr will beeither giany fishfingers and brocolli or omelette as I am home alone tonight.
@shelley262 that photo earlier is scary. So awful for everyone on the banks of the Severn and I really dont know what has to happen to make it a national emergency with COBRA meetings. If it wasnt for the goodness of communities and volunteers there wouldnt be much proactive help. I am a bit ashamed by it all. Hope your family and your friends stay safe and also your homes.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Quinn1066 I used to love The Good Life!
@Bildad sure you’ll love the air fryer. Could you share the recipe for the lambs heart?

Bit of an indulgent day food wise.

Lunch was at Nando’s - welcome lunch for a new colleague. Two plain legs and a side of Halloumi. Followed by 2 squares of Lindt 90% - gave the rest of the bar to colleagues.

Dinner was carnivore pizza and was particularly delicious. Used different cheese - combination of grated mozzarella and grated mature cheddar with some cream cheese mixed with blitzed Awfully Posh pork crackling for the base. Topped with more mozzarella, chorizo, salami and a little Parma ham. Yum.

C0727260-194B-4B3B-A6CD-F215A57A4544.jpeg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid aft: 1 pack Awfully Posh crackling. Not sure how this can be raising my bg but pre dinner was 6.0. Yesterday pre dinner was higher than expected too after the same mid afternoon snack. Sigh.

That’s weird, as it only contains pork and salt! Hope you’re not coming down with something.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal you could not really call it a recipe. I am from the bung it in and hope for the best school of cooking.
3 lambs hearts (yellow stickered in Morrisons £0.95 for the 3) put in the slow cooker pour on boiling water add salt, pepper and a 1/2 tsp of Bovril. Cook for 24 hours. Oh yeah I added some mushrooms I found in the veg drawer about 3.30 this afternoon.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unusual day in that I used up some things - usually not at all interested. TWAM until 13.00 hrs. Corned beef (used up), smoked cheddar (using up) and Twisca for lunch - about 2/3 of a tea plate in all. CWC sitting in car while waiting to collect grandson from school - get there 40 mins early or walk a mile. Evening was reheated short rib/oxtail thing from yesterday (was tender if nothing else) then smallish piece of cheddar. Granddaughter was brilliant today so good day for that menu and being a little "woke?" re food waste. Hungry but being Lent appropriate.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal you could not really call it a recipe. I am from the bung it in and hope for the best school of cooking.
3 lambs hearts (yellow stickered in Morrisons £0.95 for the 3) put in the slow cooker pour on boiling water add salt, pepper and a 1/2 tsp of Bovril. Cook for 24 hours. Oh yeah I added some mushrooms I found in the veg drawer about 3.30 this afternoon.

Thanks. I had lamb heart (also yellow stickered from Morrison’s) a few weeks ago. Sliced and pan fried. I’m from the same school of cooking so will give this a go - minus the mushrooms as I’m allergic.

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Goonergal. I think I will spend my birthday money on one.
Today I have had 24 hour slow cooked lambs heart and cauli mash. It was OK but I have had a bad day and wanted any fast food going or lots of chocolate. Have so far resisted temptation.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-Circ...eywords=Tower+air+fryer&qid=1582829633&sr=8-7
This is air frier I’ve got it’s excellent for two of us. Use it most days didn’t expect to but find often use it instead of oven

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum yep agree not much reaction to plight of those flooded at moment - clearly not an election looming! Unfortunately we are predicted to have more with storm Jorge looming and environment agency says likely to remain at this level with bridge and road closures for 10 more days.
Mind you we also have local idiots ignoring the floods like the 4x4 driver who decided yesterday evening that the road closed sign wasn’t applicable for him( see photo yesterday of this particular road which was so flooded there was a perceptible current!) so he went for it and emergency services from Bewdley had to turn out and rescue him. His smart 4x4 is still sat in river but he’s out!
You’ll be pleased to know we went the very long way round and stayed dry. I decided to take advantage of circuitous route on caring visit and popped in to Lidl I don’t normally go near to! Bought nuts and seeds to make some wonderful snack bars
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-granola-bars
I did make changes after reading comments. I used butter not coconut oil and used 100% choc. Made 30 small squares and have frozen some they are wonderful.
Breakfast scrambled eggs on half a toasted chaffle
Mid afternoon a test of the DD nut and seed bars
Dinner lamb and cauliflower cheese with a few celeriac chips and glass of dry red followed by sf raspberry jelly with spoon of lactose free yoghurt from Waitrose ( pleasantly surprised very nice)