Hi from Timm

Timm

I am new to diabetes UK and this forum but not to diabetes.
Diagnosed Type 2 twenty years ago this year.

Live in Carshalton; London borough of Sutton but moving to Norfolk as soon as people in the property wish to buy find somewhere.

Diabetes often managed well with hbA1c normally between 50 & 60.
However last October discovered it was at 94.

I have various & numerous health conditions.
Had accident at work in Nov 2017 which has left me unable to work.
I am 65 next month.
This accident affected my mental health and left me severely depressed and stressed. Eventually had some help and am feeling much better at present.

My accident means I am unable to walk far most days or do other things.

Allergic to Metformin since first diagnosed. Currently undergoing local community diabetes team. Tried type of insulin but withdrawn from it as it lowered blood sugar too much and is not good for people with a possibility of pancreatic cancer which my family has history of.

Currently take Pioglitazone (AM) and glimiperide (PM).

Have to watch which meds I take as am on a variety of meds for my different health conditions. Am allergic to some drugs and not to use others because of affects. EG; Not allowed drugs with codeine because of kidney problems.

Looking forward to being part of this forum

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Timm and welcome! Ask as many questions as you want (albeit you must be very experienced by now and may even be able to answer some!). x

Reactions: Timm

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Can I comment on Pioglitazone which is known to have various side effects and some are serious. As you have other conditions etc I would suggest to your diabetes team that this drug is possibly changed to another one?

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey there, I came originally from Wallington and am now in Norwich, if you are lucky enough to get onto the Hospital Diabetes unit (N&NUH Elsie Bartrand Unit) then you will be very well looked after! Its definately a different pace of life up here away from the Big Smoke and you should really start to relax and enjoy yourself. Feel free to ask any local questions you want!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I wonder what a typical day is like for you?
One of the big changes in managing type two over the past 20 years is the publication of research proving that diets such as low carb can have a massive impact, and the fact that the NHS has now recognised this.

I can't exercise due to other health conditions but going low carb meant I could avoid metformin, etc and lose a lot of weight. How low you need to go varies a lot, some of us can do it on 100g a day others need to go down to 20g and for longer to see improvements. If you do decide to reduce your carb intake, note that dropping carbs means you need advice from your diabetic team about adjusting your meds.