What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late posting my daily piece of art. Dog walk this morning was in a short blizzard, almost a complete white out. The forestry are harvesting huge areas of Cannock Chase so there are stacks of logs all over. The snow settled but vanished within 20 minutes. Watercolour sketch, A5 35 minutes. I have also included my box of watercolour pans and the brushes I used, you can compare my messiness against @gennepher tidy pallets.

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

Reactions: DJC3 and SaskiaKC

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sorry they are causing problems for you. Technology can only perform as well as the technician does. Unfortunately.
I am feeling confused by the cable TV "technicians" today. But cable TV is nothing compared to a cochlear implant.
I know Popeye is at his post. Good cat.
That is very true @SaskiaKC
Technology is only as good as the technician, audiologist in my case.
Popeye is at his post on on my lap...
Here he is, we are still on the couch where I have been since I got home...
IMG_26022020_214202_(1333_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
interesting observation about cream. I’m wondering if that’s the reason mine have been better of late too - since I no longer consume gallons of the stuff in coffee?
That's interesting that you could also have the same issue with cream. I am OK with 100ml and can just about get away with 150ml but above that my blood sugars go haywire.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Late posting my daily piece of art. Dog walk this morning was in a short blizzard, almost a complete white out. The forestry are harvesting huge areas of Cannock Chase so there are stacks of logs all over. The snow settled but vanished within 20 minutes. Watercolour sketch, A5 35 minutes. I have also included my box of watercolour pans and the brushes I used, you can compare my messiness against @gennepher tidy pallets.

View attachment 38968

View attachment 38969
I like your sketch...as I like all your work.
Nice to see your palette :)

Reactions: Ryhia and SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well...while i'm certainly NO horticulturalist

i do watch a bit of TV ,..and this one i know.

it was on some show a while back.
very apt considering our very own circumstances, i think

:D

It's like a Kermit nightmare! :D

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I’m so sorry for my very late reply to your post and sorry to read about your dreadful neuropathy and I sympathise with you @gennepher

I don’t kick the wall but I do stamp my feet as hard as I can and when the pain gets a really bad I swear ( in my thoughts) I mean I use awful words inside my mind.

I’ve tried Duloxatine, Amitriptilene, Gabapentin, Pregabalin all to no avail

What have you tried?

It’s making me feel miserable and it’s sad that I kind of accept it.

I feel so fed up and that’s a bit of an understatement

Unless you experience this dreadful condition then you have no idea how debilitating and painful this actually is.

Reading about the person you mentioned having their feet amputated yet still experiencing pain is for me totally soul destroying

I’m desperate for change but don’t see it happening

OMG don’t I sound hopeless, sorry

I’m seeing a psychiatrist because I’m so down in the dumps
I’m so sorry for my very late reply to your post and sorry to read about your dreadful neuropathy and I sympathise with you @gennepher

I don’t kick the wall but I do stamp my feet as hard as I can and when the pain gets a really bad I swear ( in my thoughts) I mean I use awful words inside my mind.

I’ve tried Duloxatine, Amitriptilene, Gabapentin, Pregabalin all to no avail

What have you tried?

It’s making me feel miserable and it’s sad that I kind of accept it.

I feel so fed up and that’s a bit of an understatement

Unless you experience this dreadful condition then you have no idea how debilitating and painful this actually is.

Reading about the person you mentioned having their feet amputated yet still experiencing pain is for me totally soul destroying

I’m desperate for change but don’t see it happening

OMG don’t I sound hopeless, sorry

I’m seeing a psychiatrist because I’m so down in the dumps
Aw, so sorry to hear this@Cumberland. You have always been such a positive person and so kind and supportive to others on this forum. I sincerely hope 'you can get the help you deserve. Take care.

Reactions: Cumberland

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 38968

View attachment 38969

Those logs look huge.
Your palette looks creative.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs I asked my next door neighbor about her year-round wreath. She displays it for decoration and changes its trimmings every month or so. It is a grapevine, and she decorates it with bows and artificial flowers and berries.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am addicted to cream, I have tried to give it up but it soon creeps into the diet again. Pre Dx my very favourite treat was to buy a tin of cream which I would eat very slowly over the course of a couple of days. Used to use a teaspoon and savour every mouthful. Imagine my delight when a low carb way of eating actually encourages the eating of cream. Think I would need therapy if I had to give it up completely.
I think I am addicted to cream also. I would definitely need therapy if I had to give it up completely.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher and @Cumberland I was very moved by both your accounts of the terrible pain from peripheral neuropathy. I have suffered from this in my left foot ( not diabetes related, but post surgery a couple of years ago) it’s still present but not as debilitating as it once was. Have either of you tried CBD oil? I found it very helpful.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher and @Cumberland I was very moved by both your accounts of the terrible pain from peripheral neuropathy. I have suffered from this in my left foot ( not diabetes related, but post surgery a couple of years ago) it’s still present but not as debilitating as it once was. Have either of you tried CBD oil? I found it very helpful.

Hi @DJC3
Yes, I have tried CBD oil.
I have Sjogrens Syndrome, and Fibromyalgia. I get (or had) brain fog and I'd had that for many years. It was getting worse in 2017. So I took CBD oil to help with that. By 4 days later I was very aware the CBD oil was helping me become more mentally alert again and things weren't such a struggle. I didn't take it for pain, but I did notice at the time the peripheral neuropathy pain in my toes eased a little.

A friend started taking it at the same time as me. We had been talking about it. I was unsure of taking it. But she takes a higher dose than I do. She hasn't told me her dosage, but she knows my dosage. And she has chosen a different brand than I have. I have chosen to take mine before I got to sleep.

I could take more, but I haven't. I have no other reason for not taking more other than this was the first time in years I had my prior mental alertness back which is amazing to me. And I did not want to upset any delicate balance that might be there. I am just being very careful.

Thank you for suggesting it.

My toes are giving me gyp now with the peripheral neuropathy (I have just got in bed and it can get especially worse then) , but I am not tempted to try a higher dose of the CBD oil to see if that would work, because I got from the CBD oil what I wanted from it which was to banish the brain fog and it got me my mental alertness back.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and Cumberland

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
That's okay @Cumberland
Thank you.

The only medicine in your list I have tried is Amitriptyline. That might work for up to 5 minutes and then the pains return, and then that is worse than not using anything at all at that moment in time.

I did find something from Holland & Barrett some years ago that worked for peripheral neuropathy in my toes and feet. It was called 5-HTP. It was a powder in a capsule. It worked really well. I used it every night. But, one-day when I opened the bottle, the capsules were not there, they had now changed it to tiny white pills. It didn't work any more. I have no idea if they had changed the composition of it, but I imagine they must have done to make it into a tablet. I was bitterly disappointed. It was worse having found something that worked then having that taken away so to speak. It would have been better to have never found it in the first place because I had been given hope with that 5-HTP. I did try it from other sources, but none worked.

In the past I have worn flip flops in winter in snow because the cold killed the bad pain, and I have got out of bed at night just to stand in snow in my bare feet to kill that really bad neuropathy pain. That that is how bad the pain is. However, when the feet 'warm' up again from the cold freezing snow, that also hurts a lot, but that is a different kind of pain to the peripheral neuropathy. But I don't advise doing that. I was desperate for relief from the peripheral neuropathy. I don't do this now.

What do I do now? I accept it, accept that peripheral neuropathic pain. It is still there as much as ever before. I do use that Coleman's mustard I mentioned before. It does take some of the pain away. But the pain comes back after awhile. And that is more debilitating, because again that is worse than accepting the pain in the first place.

I agree, peripheral neuropathy is one of the worst pains you can have. Unless you are experiencing it, no one else can truly understand the intensity of it.

I am sorry, but I had to tell you about the person who had their feet amputated, and still continued to feel the peripheral pain as phantom pain. I realise you probably didn't want to know that.

No you don't sound hopeless. I can understand the desperation.
And the dark places you must visit in your mind because of it.

I think altering your state of mind is key to helping with the peripheral neuropathic pain. It doesn't mean you won't still have the naughty words moments (and the rest), but will help to a better mindset.

I have to admit if someone had suggested in the same words as I am trying to suggest to you in the above paragraph, then I would have given them short shrift. But I have reached that conclusion through my own efforts.

I hope you can find something of help and value you can take away from the psychiatrist you are seeing.

Hello @gennepher

Thanks for your post

I forgot to say that I have purchased some Coleman’s English mustard applied to both feet it’s still early days I can’t see any difference just yet.

Yes it’s so weird how you can accept it, psychiatrist has given me a weekly planner to do tasks each day to try to take my focus away from the pain

So I am doing some short walks with the dog, playing with the dog, going out for a coffee, doing a little bit of gardening, listening to relaxation sounds, visiting garden centres, watching Carlisle United (that’s another kind of pain lol lol)

She’s also suggested to try alter my thoughts and swear words to something along the lines of still acknowledging the pain but to distract myself into thinking about trying to do a task, so I am using relaxation a lot when this happens.

Can I ask if you struggle to walk?

I am having some falls at home and out and about, Occy Therapist has given me a walking stick to use to steady me because when I walk it’s like walking on a bouncy castle filled with stinging nettles.

I have also struggled to cut my toe nails and accidentally punctured one of my toes with the tip of the scissors, never felt it and only noticed when I saw the blood

What a state, and when the stabbing pain starts OMG.

Let’s hope we both don’t suffer to much

Tek care

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Aw, so sorry to hear this@Cumberland. You have always been such a positive person and so kind and supportive to others on this forum. I sincerely hope 'you can get the help you deserve. Take care.

Thank you @dogslife that’s very kind of you.

I hope the world is treating you well

Reactions: HarryBeau

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hello @DJC3

Thank you for your post
I haven’t tried CBD oil, I don’t know much about it so will look on line.

Are you still using it? I’m pleased that it’s helped your neuropathic pain, I’m at the stage where I’ll give anything a go.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Cumberland my wife has fibromyalgia and is in constant pain, she uses cbd and says it helps, she also uses a cream called Pernaton,might be worth a google, good luck.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 38968

View attachment 38969
I really like this painting. You can feel the chill in the air.