How to manage d2 when on a no carb diet and GP wants me on 3 different medication

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The original rye Finn crispbread are 7.9 gm each according to the information I found - so half a dozen of those is almost 50 gm of carb. The multigrain are almost as high - unless there is another sort those are quite high carb if you are eating them every day. Many people can manage their levels on that but I am more sensitive to carbs from grain, and it would be too high for me.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - yes - sorry - they did not appear in my search.
I was wondering if it was an error such as deducting fibre when it was already net carbs.
The medication seems to be those which hammer insulin out of a failing pancreas - might it be an idea to see if that is not an option and you need insulin?

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That describes my GP and he does not believe in Carb free diets or the patient taking control...
Annina

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a look at previous tests and I have not had a C peptide test at all

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a look at previous tests and I have not had a C peptide test at all
Then it’s definitely appropriate. Increasing need for meds and lack of control by low carb that previously worked means one of two things. You have either become much more resistant to insulin and adding more will make likely things worse and reducing that resistance, infections or meds that raise numbers would be the better focus or you are simply not making enough and you need that insulin. Knowing which is important.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That describes my GP and he does not believe in Carb free diets or the patient taking control...
Annina

Annina, I know it's hard but it matters not what your Dr prefers, he can eat what he likes as can you. YOU decide what diet you want to follow and as for you trying to manage your diabetes to the Drs tune, HE is supposed to be managing your medication to YOUR approach. x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do ask for a C-Peptide test as there is a hint that you may be LADA. A high reading implies T2 with a good level of insulin whereas a low reading means your beta cells are not doing their job hence you need insulin and LADA.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Thomas the Tank, yes, the Tesco info I saw first was wrong and quoted per slice. Got better info from Ocado. They are on my next shopping list!

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Two coffees with cream in the morning no breakfast lunch eggs, sometimes bacon tomatoes and mushrooms sometimes nothing just coffee evenings meat fish salad or greens and Finncrisps 3.8 carbs in a slice love them 4-6 slices
I looked up the Finn crisps and it is actually showing 61 g per slice!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I looked up the Finn crisps and it is actually showing 61 g per slice!
I think that's a mistake, on the Finns crisps website it shows as 61g per 100g or 3.8g carbs per slice, as @xfieldok stated it was showing wrong on the Tesco site at least, so that maybe what you're looking at or somewhere making a similar mistake.

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you check the carbs again please. I may be looking at the wrong product. I checked Tesco's site. The ones I saw were 61g per slice.
But it is actually 61 g/ hundred grams which means that 2/3 of it is approximately pure carbohydrate. apart from that there is another problem which will cause you to become unwell and that is that it is a grain, grains cause inflammation, inflammation makes diabetes worse. But not charity that, get yourself a scale and weigh out 100 g and you will see that you are eating for more than you think. I wouldn’t touch it with the barge pole !

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But it is actually 61 g/ hundred grams which means that 2/3 of it is approximately pure carbohydrate. apart from that there is another problem which will cause you to become unwell and that is that it is a grain, grains cause inflammation, inflammation makes diabetes worse. But not only that, get yourself a scale and weigh out 100 g and you will see that you are eating for more than you think. I wouldn’t touch it with the barge pole !

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The crispbreads will be about 2/3rds starch - so way over what I'd ever consider eating. The individual slices must be very light and small. Hang on - if one slice is about 4 gm of carb, and it is 2/3rds carb then a slice would weigh 6 gm so a pack of 200gm would contain approximately 30 slices? Is that right?

brooker

Hi,
I've been on 2000mg of Metformin, twice a day for several years, before I started my current regime, when my blood sugar reading was 42.0 and supposed to have been enough to kill me - too tough for that. I felt fine.
On my current regime, I take 1000mg Metformin morning and 1000mg Metformin at night although my Diabetes Doctor has suggested that I can increase my Metformin tablets up to 2000mg twice a day (what I was on before), however, so far, that has not been necessary.
You can read more of my diet, below, as I see each post I make goes to the top of this page and I've written quite a lot.
You might also check out my suggestions for the flu and the Coronavirus Pandemic and a possible cure.
Since I've not had Coronavirus and don't expect to catch it, I can't say my cure won't work any more than I can say with confidence that it will.
Still, nothing ventured nothing gained and it is always a good idea to have a fall back plan against whatever the future might hold and how you deal with it.
Best Wishes

brooker

Um, I forgot to mention - drink lots of water.
The water here tastes foul, so I flavor it with sugar free cordial to taste.
Best Wishes