Is "Reversed" the same as "In Remission?"

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
welll ...i shouldn't because it is all semantics, really.

One persons remission is another persons Reversal

BUT....

Just as i am affected by Nuclear radiation.

IF i stay away from Nuclear radiation
Am in remission from the damage Nuclear radiation can do to me
OR or have i reversed Nuclear Radiation power to damage me...

So to me, the idea that i am always in danger , and good management (and sense) says i stay aware
of what DOES affect me,
says to me remission... as it COULD be temporary, IF i don't stay aware...(please LCHF gods.NO..:arghh: )

reversing it, means to me i could quite happily eat carbs as I did......and i can't

While sticks and stones may hurt us,
words............................meh

call it what ever suits YOU.

We'll need these type of conversations to keep us warm, when the winter nights draw in..:D

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ah, @Jim Lahey ..touche

it really is the never ending convo, that keeps on giving, me thinks.

as said happy for others to call it whatever they like.

best wishes for the day,
see you in the next incarnation of this Groundhog day thread, perhaps.;)

Best regards.:)

Reactions: Member496333

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say I really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm too new to really consider reversal/remission but I really enjoyed reading each person's point of view. Thanks everyone.

I dream of the day when I have to really consider it. I hope that one day I'll be able to tolerate more carbs than I can at the moment. The problem I have is that I suspect the amount of carbs I will be able to tolerate will not be enough for me treat the things I miss. A bit of one chocolate is not enough while one chocolate is too much. I think at the moment my thought is that I will always have to watch the carbs which comes down to me that I'll always be a diabetic

Having said that - seeing how people are on this forum I actually feel grateful to be associated with you all. That is one thing I am grateful for- without the diagnosis I wouldn't have visited this site. The people on here are amazing and I'm glad to have met you all- figuratively speaking. While I miss the carbs- The people here are awesome!

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to think that we can call it what we like. It doesn’t matter really. As long as we stay in a healthy condition.

I got asked at work (introductory paperwork) if I had diabetes (amongst other conditions). I just said no. If pressed on it I would have said my blood sugar levels were good.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to think that we can call it what we like. It doesn’t matter really. As long as we stay in a healthy condition.

I got asked at work (introductory paperwork) if I had diabetes (amongst other conditions). I just said no. If pressed on it I would have said my blood sugar levels were good.
But you were correct as, looking at your numbers, you don’t have diabetes.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But you were correct as, looking at your numbers, you don’t have diabetes.
Well exactly. However if they were to check with my doctor (with my permission of course) then he still has me registered in the Prediabetic category - which I am pleased about as it means they are still keeping an eye on me.

So it depends on who I am talking to as to how I describe my current condition,

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a difference between the two ?
All that is important is that you have achieved the level you are satisfied with and your diabetes is controlled and not what you call it.
My diabetes is controlled and I am happy with that but it does not change the fact that until a cure is found we will always have diabetes

Reactions: angustia

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with those who say it's semantics, carbs are the reason you got here & carbs are the reason you maintain your diligence.
Others say if you can eat carbs again without spiking you're cured, I don't necessarily agree.
Carbs = Weight Gain = Former Habits = Visceral Fat = Beta Cell Disfunction = T2

I have recently tested myself with Big Mac + Regular Fries, that's about 86 grams of carbs & came in just below the 140 mg/dl at the 2 hour PP.
Does that mean I'm cured, never cause of where the road leads back to.

I spent most of my adult life trying to find the secret to weight loss & in my late 40's I discover it's low carbing.
I'm 4 stone down in 4 months since diagnosis after 20 years of slowly putting weight on.
Remission is fine by me.

Reactions: KathyFrance

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer to use recovery, similar in meaning to a alcoholic who has given up drinking for a longish period of time and is a recovering alcoholic.

I am a 'reformed diabetic', I have seen the light, praise the LCHF! :D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat carbs without spiking - but I wouldn't be cured - I'd be stupid, and heading back along the same trail which led to diagnosis three years ago.
I have not found it at all difficult to get to where I am now - at the top end of normal - I feel embarrassed being congratulated, as happens from time to time - it was so easy - losing 20 percent of my weight - easy, never even noticed it happening until I stood up and my trousers fell down.
Lower Hba1c, absolutely no problem - steak mushrooms and other stuff, coffee with cream, salt and cinnamon for breakfast, or a salad in the hot weather, real ice cream, chilled wine, or old fashioned ginger beer - I mean - this is not difficult - who could say it was a struggle?
Going back to the stodgy 'healthy' carbs? Not going to happen even if Old Nick is skating to work that morning.

Reactions: Daphne917
D

Deleted member 308541

I had another hba1c test last Wednesday 03.03.20, it came back as 5.4% or 35.5 mmol/mol.

It's slightly up on the previous one a family reunion fro the solstice festivities, new years celebrations, my 75th birthday all happening around the same time.

Airport and and airline food, various other celebrations starting with 50 years ago all contributed to the slight rise.

Still eating a moderate lchf food stuff with plenty of meat.

Speed bump has now disappeared and were almost straighlining...

APTP1iz.jpg

M

Member496333

What does cured mean anyway? Cured of what? Suddenly gifted the ability to thrive on a diet that humans were never meant to eat to begin with? Our biology is simply not optimally adapted to manage on such consistently high volumes of glucose. Anyone hoping to be “cured” of evolution is going to have to wait a few more hundred thousand years at least. Humans have created this problem by eating food that we were never designed to. If we eat a species-appropriate diet then there’s nothing to be cured of.

:cool: