Antipsychotics

Sarell

My son is taking risperidone and sodium valproate for paranoid schizophrenia, and medformin glimepiride and toujeo for 1.5. And statins. He is 34.
Has anyone else experience/knowledge in this direction please? Desperately worried about his health.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son is taking risperidone and sodium valproate for paranoid schizophrenia, and medformin glimepiride and toujeo for 1.5. And statins. He is 34.
Has anyone else experience/knowledge in this direction please? Desperately worried about his health.
Statins can push blood sugars up, so if he doesn't absolutely need them... But that's all I've got, sorry.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you in the UK, Sarell? There are protocols in place to monitor physical health of mentally ill patients on psychotropic medications. Some antipsychotics are known to mess about with glucose metabolism - like Olanzapine for instance. Problem is that the psychosis needs to be treated as well, so the side effects have to be considered against benefits of taking the medication. the psychiatrist should be checking HbA1c levels with the GP at intervals and also dietary advice should be given............

Reactions: Struma