No added sugar foody insights

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

Fancied doing a somewhat lighthearted post today by telling you all my favourite supermarket discovery... no added sugar chocolate hazelnut spread aka LOW SUGAR NUTELLA! Tesco if any of you fancy it!

It does still have carbs in it (of course) and some sugar - 7.9g sugar / 49.5g carbs / 100g spread. Compared to Nutella's 54g sugar / 62g carbs / 100g spread. Of course i invested. It's not as jaw-achingly sweet as nutella, but i think its tastier. Bonuses for blood sugars are that it'll raise them quite steadily instead of giving you that sugar spike - got this by working out what percentage of total carbs is sugar. Less than 16% for Tescos own, and 87% for Nutella.

I've heard of people making their own substitutes and i dread to think what else is in it to replace the sugar. But it went lovely with my pancakes on Tuesday!

What other low-sugar stuff have you all found in supermarkets that has made your day?

Reactions: CauthaFit2013

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

Fancied doing a somewhat lighthearted post today by telling you all my favourite supermarket discovery... no added sugar chocolate hazelnut spread aka LOW SUGAR NUTELLA! Tesco if any of you fancy it!

It does still have carbs in it (of course) and some sugar - 7.9g sugar / 49.5g carbs / 100g spread. Compared to Nutella's 54g sugar / 62g carbs / 100g spread. Of course i invested. It's not as jaw-achingly sweet as nutella, but i think its tastier. Bonuses for blood sugars are that it'll raise them quite steadily instead of giving you that sugar spike - got this by working out what percentage of total carbs is sugar. Less than 16% for Tescos own, and 87% for Nutella.

I've heard of people making their own substitutes and i dread to think what else is in it to replace the sugar. But it went lovely with my pancakes on Tuesday!

What other low-sugar stuff have you all found in supermarkets that has made your day?
Hi Shannon, i have never been good at maths and dont have a sweet tooth ( luckily) , but how did you work out the % of total carb to sugar and how much sugar is too much ? Sorry to appear stupid but i just dont bother with sweet stuff although of course i realise that there is sugar in most things . I just keep an eye on the backs of packets

Reactions: Shannon27

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Shannon, i have never been good at maths and dont have a sweet tooth ( luckily) , but how did you work out the % of total carb to sugar and how much sugar is too much ? Sorry to appear stupid but i just dont bother with sweet stuff although of course i realise that there is sugar in most things . I just keep an eye on the backs of packets
I just did it to represent how little sugar compared to carbs there is in this brand compared to Nutella. I know a lot of people on here struggle cutting sweet things out, so this could be a potential alternative. I'm not saying it's ideal but its much better than high sugar spreads.

I worked it out by dividing the sugar content by the total carb content (including sugars) and multiplying by 100. So for the no added sugar brand...

%sugar to carbs = (7.9g (sugar) / 49.5g (total carbs)) x 100 = 15.95..... %

For Nutella...

%sugar to carbs = (54g (sugar) / 62g (total carbs)) x 100 = 87.09..... %

Probably a useless bit of information but if anything, it just shows how much unnecessary sugar is in everything :)

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just did it to represent how little sugar compared to carbs there is in this brand compared to Nutella. I know a lot of people on here struggle cutting sweet things out, so this could be a potential alternative. I'm not saying it's ideal but its much better than high sugar spreads.

I worked it out by dividing the sugar content by the total carb content (including sugars) and multiplying by 100. So for the no added sugar brand...

%sugar to carbs = (7.9g (sugar) / 49.5g (total carbs)) x 100 = 15.95..... %

For Nutella...

%sugar to carbs = (54g (sugar) / 62g (total carbs)) x 100 = 87.09..... %

Probably a useless bit of information but if anything, it just shows how much unnecessary sugar is in everything :)