COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Honeyend

I worked on a cruise ship with an outbreak of norovirus, about 75% of the passengers got it, the crew either hid it or were immune.
A cruise ship would be the last place I would want to be. Unless they have a total lockdown passengers are very reluctant to stay in their cabins, and unless they have filters you are breathing comtanimated air, it will spread.
The staff on cruise ships below decks are payed are often paid little, and their wages are docked if they are ill and can not work.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Beginning to read like Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" novel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipp

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beginning to read like Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" novel.

Indeed.

(Had heard of the book, but taken little notice.. Off to find a copy now.
Had read WARDAY. By Whitley & strieberr, so that piqued my curiosity.)

And yes @Debandez , that trajectory is pretty scary, and still mounting, thank you for sharing.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Superb B&W film as well shot in my hometown. You won't regret the book or the film @jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I worked on a cruise ship with an outbreak of norovirus, about 75% of the passengers got it, the crew either hid it or were immune.
A cruise ship would be the last place I would want to be. Unless they have a total lockdown passengers are very reluctant to stay in their cabins, and unless they have filters you are breathing comtanimated air, it will spread.
The staff on cruise ships below decks are payed are often paid little, and their wages are docked if they are ill and can not work.
Absolutely...Completely agree...and yet....

those who took charge WOULD have done there homework, right?
it's not like they never ever considered this MIGHT happen at some point..
http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/videos.html

and yet,..China, S Korea, Iran, Italy..all seem to be struggling..yet it's only Flu.

the most telling factor for me HAS been the Chinese response.

as a T2D..and a life long asthmatic.(or so it's seemed) I've taken note of those it affects, so they should have had a good handle on it, admittedly slow in the first instances, but have a measured grip, at least..

yet as this link explains how much they have gambled on this now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51449675
the shut down and damage to the economy secondary to the ruling elite losing power, i would suspect.

hope it all slows down and at worst we settle into dealing with it, just like we deal with flu etc.

Reactions: zand

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in the lake district on a break with family. Never seen it as quiet!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not just diabetes many have on here,
so hopefully this might be helpful for someone.

Updated today to inc Covid-19

Good link here for those with asthma

https://www.asthma.org.uk/about/media/news/coronavirus/

might be useful if others could add links for other illnesses,
save people searching if worried or ill.

*personal tip, use at own risk.
i had a rather severe attack a few years ago, torn between calling 999 or making way to surgery
arrived at surgery struggling for breathe
had used inhaler (blue) repeatedly over the last 30 40 mins
Once in with doc, ordered me to spray 10 times one after the other
symptoms eased after a few minutes, so i could at least speak without gasping for air

doctors say it's common people don't use enough in situations like this, and do as i did.

While i don't advocate this in every situation, it might be wise to appraise yourself of this if asthmatic
in the event of a severe attack before medics arrive ..they could get busy over the next few weeks.
https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/manage-your-asthma/when-to-go-to-hospital/

What to do if you have an asthma attack
If you think you're having an asthma attack, you should:
  1. Sit upright (don't lie down) and try to take slow, steady breaths. Try to remain calm, as panicking will make things worse.
  2. Take 1 puff of your reliever inhaler (usually blue) every 30 to 60 seconds, up to a maximum of 10 puffs.
  3. Call 999 for an ambulance if you don't have your inhaler with you, you feel worse despite using your inhaler, you don't feel better after taking 10 puffs or you're worried at any point.
  4. If the ambulance hasn't arrived within 15 minutes, repeat step 2.
Never be frightened of calling for help in an emergency.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

If you get put in quarantine at home for fourteen days, make sure you have plenty of food and water to last the distance.

Make sure you have extra supplies of medication at home.

Also don't forget your extra supplies of beer, and couple of bottles of good sipping whisky.

Then settle back and watch On The Beach, first the black and white one, then the later colour version, then read the book...

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you get put in quarantine at home for fourteen days, make sure you have plenty of food and water to last the distance.

Make sure you have extra supplies of medication at home.

Also don't forget your extra supplies of beer, and couple of bottles of good sipping whisky.

Then settle back and watch On The Beach, first the black and white one, then the later colour version, then read the book...
I'm all stocked up. Got masks too but from what I've read they will be pretty useless. Should have got n95 or n99. But let's hope it wont come to that stage!

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also well stocked up on the Whiskey and wine ;) Trouble is my antivirals are going out of date and can’t get more as they are reserved for critical need and the Three Wise Men protocol comes into play.
Much is now down to chance and luck.

Reactions: Debandez

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
make sure you have plenty of food and water to last the distance.
We eat so much fresh food and meat that the freezer and fridge can only hold so much and with 5 adult sized people in the house that won’t last long. Really not sure how or what I’d stock for 14 days! But I agree with the sentiment.

Reactions: Pongo99 and jjraak

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This was posted a number of days ago on another forum. It was written by a retired UK GP, living, long term, with T1, and to me, it speaks sense.

Whilst I don't not consider myself to be medically frail, or any more at risk than anyone living without diabetes, I am currently living in a country with 35 confirmed cases. My life hasn't skipped a beat thus far.

View attachment 38923
Just watched Victoria Derbyshire show on which a virologist stated that the mortality rate is actually 5 times that of seasonal flu so not so benign after all. Though as has been said fatalities are mainly among the older people and those whose health is already compromised in some way.

I am in my 70's now and have several conditions which effect respiration so I am not able to treat it with such equanimity.

He also said that the measures being taken in the UK are to slow the virus down to ease pressure on the NHS in the winter months but cannot stop it spreading.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We eat so much fresh food and meat that the freezer and fridge can only hold so much and with 5 adult sized people in the house that won’t last long. Really not sure how or what I’d stock for 14 days! But I agree with the sentiment.

on the assumption ONE on here at least will suffer self isolation at some point, i guess that we need friends and neighbours, BUT the main issues would be if it came in a rush like italy, and we just got self isolated as a group/street/town
then the issue of buying things becomes more problematic.

In that instance and as prep, remember what the goal is.. to avoid the disease OR the spread of it if possible, so traipsing to shops that may well have queues for what little products of use are left.(any one tried to get the little pocket sized hand sanitisers.) might not be our best idea.

so in that mind set IF unable to stock fridge, i'd say the priority would be to EAT, whatever you can, to get you all through, and then like any illness, get back on track once more able...bear in mind this might just be FLU like, so consider those option as well,
what will people unwell be able to eat, soups, perhaps?

( i got some product so i can make 90 second bread, and we got a loaf in the freezer so we can defrost a slice or two at a time
if needed. )

to whit, tins of whatever appeals, dry products, that others can eat and you COULD eat in a pinch.
it's all un-chartered waters, so i say its the old adage. fail to prepare, prepare to fail, for me.
do what you can, now.
the longer this goes on the harder it will be to source many items at short notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
On the 2 o'clock news on the radio, 1st case of the virus in Wales and another two in England.
I am interested in what is going on regarding the virus, but I am not panicking about it. I am washing hands in hot soapy water more often and using more antibacterial gel too.
I work with children and I am in a vehicle with them, so la confined area often with sneezing and no tissues, is common.
I don't know how old the people were who died, young, older, with medical conditions or not ? also, luck does play a part in these world wide outbreaks.
Having pneumonia and sepsis in the summer of 2018 does worry my family regarding this virus, what will be, will be, but I'm trying to keep as healthy as I possibly can.

Reactions: Winnie53

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the British males from the cruise ship in Japan has now died. I don't know if it was the same man who had T2.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the British males from the cruise ship in Japan has now died. I don't know if it was the same man who had T2.
as i read it no,, they are doing ok

was part of BBC latest bulletin
A family member confirmed the couple are "doing well and fighting fit", adding: "They are getting stronger every day."

So @Robinredbreast , doing what you do, but taking sensible precautions..most wise.;)

luck as always plays a part, but sometimes we can 'just' swing the odds a little bit more in our favour,
by thinking things through.

travel safe with the young uns.:)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Not a lot of reports from Africa despite the strong Chinese presence.
Wonder if they aren't getting it or aren't reporting it?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Oh, and despite the criticism Diamond Princess seems to be doing far better than Italy according to the statistics.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Just watched Victoria Derbyshire show on which a virologist stated that the mortality rate is actually 5 times that of seasonal flu so not so benign after all. Though as has been said fatalities are mainly among the older people and those whose health is already compromised in some way.

I am in my 70's now and have several conditions which effect respiration so I am not able to treat it with such equanimity.

He also said that the measures being taken in the UK are to slow the virus down to ease pressure on the NHS in the winter months but cannot stop it spreading.

And according to today's Guardian it's maybe upto 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-truth-myths-flu-covid-19-face-masks