What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum yep agree not much reaction to plight of those flooded at moment - clearly not an election looming! Unfortunately we are predicted to have more with storm Jorge looming and environment agency says likely to remain at this level with bridge and road closures for 10 more days.
Mind you we also have local idiots ignoring the floods like the 4x4 driver who decided yesterday evening that the road closed sign wasn’t applicable for him( see photo yesterday of this particular road which was so flooded there was a perceptible current!) so he went for it and emergency services from Bewdley had to turn out and rescue him. His smart 4x4 is still sat in river but he’s out!
You’ll be pleased to know we went the very long way round and stayed dry. I decided to take advantage of circuitous route on caring visit and popped in to Lidl I don’t normally go near to! Bought nuts and seeds to make some wonderful snack bars
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-granola-bars
I did make changes after reading comments. I used butter not coconut oil and used 100% choc. Made 30 small squares and have frozen some they are wonderful.
Breakfast scrambled eggs on half a toasted chaffle
Mid afternoon a test of the DD nut and seed bars
Dinner lamb and cauliflower cheese with a few celeriac chips and glass of dry red followed by sf raspberry jelly with spoon of lactose free yoghurt from Waitrose ( pleasantly surprised very nice)
Its so challenging, wishing you all the best. Btw I love butter but cant get on with coconut oil. I dont go for “sweet” stuff any more. Haven't had even chocolate since Christmas. I have cut out snacks 95% of the time and am really reactive to anything “keto sweet” because of stopping at a portion. Its funny because in my old life I would have said I was more a crisps than chocolate person. Every day is still a learning day.

Reactions: Chook
D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual three egg cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon,tomatoes.
Lunch: Mud crab sandwiches.
Dwe01us.gif

Dinner: Curried pork, veggies.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

Pulled the ice making machine out of the freezer in the new fridge, instant extra 20% storage space. :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Last bit of stuff with things casserole with a cabbage cucumber salad with a boiled egg and some bacon. It's amazing how long a cabbage stays well, even the parts where I cut before are still crispy, and I think I've been eating from this cabbage for close to two weeks now. Not heating your kitchen not only saves money but it apparently saves your veggies as well :)

For tomorrow I took the surprisingly low carb Chinese leftovers from the freezer to thaw (don't think it will be thoroughly thawed by tomorrow in my kitchen though, but there's always the microwave) so I'll only need to buy a cauliflower for the rice tomorrow and chop an onion to go with it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: bone broth with Bovril and a small lc hot choc
L: mixed grill, minus the gluteny sausages, the black pudding, the peas, the grilled tomato and half the chips. Very nice indeed.
D: home made lamb burglars

finished some DIY jobs around the house (tidying up a few loose ends). Pleased to do so, because now I can start the next ones :D

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast at 10.15 - 2 rashers streaky bacon and 2 fried eggs.

Lunch at 2.45 - onion soup - yep, that's right, the remainder of the frozen onions. I found that they were even wetter than I anticipated once defrosted so I put them in a pot with a large chunk of butter to make them boil first in the water they contained, and then fry. Took a long time, but it worked. Had a serving with my liver and bacon last night and put some beef stock, some seasoning and a little soya sauce (pinched some of Neil's special non-fermented stuff) to make a quick onion soup. Had half of it for lunch today and still have some left for another time. Expect it was high calorie because of the sugar content of the onions and the large chunk of butter.

Lamb hotpot for my evening meal at 8 pm (out of the freezer).

FBG was 6.5 and BG has been no higher than 7.4 (before the soup) but most of the day it was around 5.5. For me that's a real win. Odd thing is, that, other than some extra soup, my meals have been similar on other occasions but BG stayed higher than I wanted. Can extra, in the form of soup, really make that difference? Wonder what is happening to my weight -must check it before my appointment on Monday.

mouseee

Airfryer fan here too! Did jacket spuds for family in it this evening. I use it pretty much daily instead of the oven, great for portioned prepreped things I make and freeze for them. Plus... carb win...actually didn't feel jealous about the potato, which I usually do!

Coffee for breakfast. Just treated myself to an aeropress to make coffee as I am feeling increasingly guilty about using a capsule based machine. Only waste from the aeropress is the filter which composts and it makes very good coffee!

Lunch- left over meat and salad - celery tasted like soap though.... weird

Dinner - cauliflower and green bean curry.

Used to love hula hoops puft and thought I'd risk a bag today. How my taste has changed. Only wanted half the bag. I was hungry but didn't want anymore and put the bag down. Maybe I am kicking the carb addiction.

flowerthym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
Diabetes has given me a fatty liver and am told to avoid fat, so I have eaten yoghourt, oats and blueberries for breakfast. Low fat cheese with beetroot for lunch, and small portion rice pudding. Chicken and veg stir fry for evening meal and blackberries and yoghourt .

Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s weird, as it only contains pork and salt! Hope you’re not coming down with something.

Doesn’t make sense does it? I didn’t test pre scratchings though so maybe bg was going up in the afternoon anyway because of something else - exercise/ no exercise/ stress of Dennis chewing my slippers again, who knows? Tomorrow if I have a pack I will make sure to do an accurate before and after test.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Its so challenging, wishing you all the best. Btw I love butter but cant get on with coconut oil. I dont go for “sweet” stuff any more. Haven't had even chocolate since Christmas. I have cut out snacks 95% of the time and am really reactive to anything “keto sweet” because of stopping at a portion. Its funny because in my old life I would have said I was more a crisps than chocolate person. Every day is still a learning day.

Me too - it's odd. I used to love plain potato crisps - with or without salt and, in fact, they helped me through some bad times when my stomach was really bad - salty crisps would help to settle it. And I couldn't be bothered with chocolate or other sweet stuff but now ... all change. I can manage very nicely without crisps but the chocolate that I keep for cake making is a constant temptation. I don't often give in to it though because I know I don't really like it (so I tell myself!)

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes has given me a fatty liver and am told to avoid fat, so I have eaten yoghourt, oats and blueberries for breakfast. Low fat cheese with beetroot for lunch, and small portion rice pudding. Chicken and veg stir fry for evening meal and blackberries and yoghourt .

I was told, some years ago, that I had a fatty liver but was told that there was nothing I could do about it. Never was told to avoid fats. I did have a problem with greasy foods years before when I still had a faulty gall bladder although nobody told me, even then, to avoid fats. (I eventually realised that the bile from the gall bladder helps to digest fats and without it there may be issues in taking fats.) I still do though, even though I don't have a gall bladder any more and I am told that my liver isn't any worse than it was all those years ago, despite eating a low carb/high fat diet. Carbs seem to be much worse for me than fats. I daresay there is a reason for that, but I don't know what it is. Taking fats may well be an issue for people with a fatty liver, though - unlike myself.

PS - just remembered, I had some brie cheese at about 7 pm, while waiting for evening meal. Actually, I found it much more bitter than I liked and, oddly, I decided to spread some marmite on the rind. Much better. Neil thinks I am weird! He could be right, I've no idea why I decided to do that.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Brunneria we had a holiday in Kerala. Curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I never got tired of it.
You are an artist ! How come everyone here is such a great cook? I cannot boil an egg to save my life !
Boiling eggs is not a simple skill. It needs advance preparation. ( remember to get the eggs out of the fridge the night before) careful handling and great attention to timing.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
PS - just remembered, I had some brie cheese at about 7 pm, while waiting for evening meal. Actually, I found it much more bitter than I liked and, oddly, I decided to spread some marmite on the rind. Much better. Neil thinks I am weird! He could be right, I've no idea why I decided to do that.
I love marmite with brie or camembert!

Reactions: Chook
D

Deleted member 308541

Boiling eggs is not a simple skill. It needs advance preparation. ( remember to get the eggs out of the fridge the night before) careful handling and great attention to timing.
Hahahahaha, Get the eggs, put them in a pot of cold water and bring to the boil, then boil for ten minutes to make sure the contents are solid.

It's not rocket science people... :D

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - don't know about romantic but a nice scent as one was vanilla and the other a Christmas candle. @mouseee - great results on the a1c. Bed 6.3 FBG 6.4. A little higher than I've been but I'm a bit snuffly. I've been impressing on the boys the importance of handwashing. It came back to me, the old rhyme "Coughs and sneezes spread diseases". They rather liked that and decided education of their school friends would be good. Before meals - wash hands with soap. If you cough or sneeze in your hands - wash hands...and so on. No idea where it came from but apparently singing happy birthday to yourself gets you to the optimum hand washing time.
B. Just TAG. Had to get boys to the dentist by 8.30am for a check up and they came out highly delighted with face masks!
L. Nothing - got into Aqua and had to do a shop as boys were staying for dinner.
D. Mince needed used so I did a swap for the mexican burger plate which was due on Saturday.
I'm going to try to get Oopsie made tomorrow @DJC3.
The burger plate was too much for me - ate about half but had a 1/4 of the M&S Isey Skyr baked apple later.
DD-509KetoTacoBurger-2.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my, just cooked proper pork belly (as opposed to just the strips) for the first time. Yum!

Bought a small one and cut off the thin end to make moo grob as the starter then slow roasted the rest. Delicious. Couldn’t eat it all so there may be some more moo grob coming from the leftovers. In between the 2 savoury courses had a ramekin if extra thick double cream and almond butter which completed my extended OMAD (eaten over 2.5 hours).