How can I reduce my glucose levels please?

whiteorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bread is glucose in drag. Wholemeal or otherwise. Baked beans are glucose in a glucose & fructose sauce.

Personal choice whether or not anyone cares, but the above items will certainly contribute to increasing blood sugar and should be avoided if they are causing problems.
Don't eat a lot of bread but did not realise about baked beans even though I get no added sugar did not think of the carbs. Thank you for the advice

whiteorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As others have said, bread and baked beans are generally no-no's. Personally I can tolerate one slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter *if* I go for a brisk walk afterwards. Regarding soup, do read the label. Most have a recommended portion size of half a tin. I'm assuming you're having a whole tin? Also (and this doesn't just apply to soup), the nutritional labels can have values per recommended portion or values per 100g. If the latter, check the stated weight of the packet/tin and calculate as appropriate.
OK, than you for the information and advice

whiteorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vegetables may not be low carb..

Low carbs: grams per 100g product
mushrooms 0.3, celery 0.8, kale 1.4, spinach 1.5,
avocado 1.9, celeriac 2.3, leek 2.9, spring-onion 3, squash 3, cauliflower 3, broccoli 3.2,
cabbage 4, okra 4, green/red peppers 4,
turnip 4.7, swede 4.8

Medium carbs:
carrots 8, onions 8, peas raw 9, corn frozen 9,
peas mushy canned 11

High carbs:
corn canned 12, lentils 13, butter beans 13,
kidney beans 13, baked beans 14, potatoes new 14,
black beans 15, chickpeas 16, corn cooked 17,
potatoes old 18, mung beans 19, sweet potatoes 21

With dinner I always replace potatoes and rice with mashed/boiled celeriac/cauliflower + a low carb veg or a small quantity of medium carb veg.

And always exclude high carb veg.

Thank you that is very helpful

whiteorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, from what you are eating it sounds as though you may be following the dietary advice given by bodies like NICE and Diabetes UK. This is generally what GPs and diabetic nurses trot out.
Many people on this forum chose not to follow that advice and to limit their intake of carbohydrate considerably. This has lead to successful reductions in blood glucose with members being able to give up all medications and maintaining non-diabetic glucose levels.
Yes, I am, I have a heart problem and am asthmatic so steroids cause me lots of problems as does my diet. This problem has only just started as my HbA1c started to come down, my glucose level suddenly went up

whiteorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
17 to 20 sounds quite high.
I get mixed up with the different units, but if those are the normal UK units, then I think the beans and bread need to get kicked into touch immediately, and the soup needs a carb-check to see what's in it.
I had no bread or baked beans at the weekend and it spiked at 27.1 but I am looking at my diet. Thank you

Chris26111980

Hi, from what you are eating it sounds as though you may be following the dietary advice given by bodies like NICE and Diabetes UK. This is generally what GPs and diabetic nurses trot out.
Many people on this forum chose not to follow that advice and to limit their intake of carbohydrate considerably. This has lead to successful reductions in blood glucose with members being able to give up all medications and maintaining non-diabetic glucose levels.
I was told the other day by Diabetes UK, bananas are fine. facepalming.....