Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

I’m feeling very poo, the usual high BG with pumping. My BG spikes some time in the morning, not terribly like 12mmol but it is a terrible jump from 6 to 12mmols. I sent a message to my Medtronic rep to ask for help because I want to stay in auto mode with PMS or DP or hormones or whatever (except illness), my pump hasn’t been able to catch up with these morning spikes. I don’t think it is my evening carb ratio. So despite not getting a reply, Ive tweaked everything without the help from my team. I’m not going to wait 4 weeks to see my team, I already feel rubbish and I’m tired from the beeping. It beeps at me when there is a sharp rise going on. I correct and go back to sleep but I prefer if my pump did something about it so I can sleep peacefully for once. And yep, I know what my team will say and I know they’ll come at me with pitch forks and torches. :(
But after the morning spike, the rest of the day is okay. It’s only mornings that I’m screaming at.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

I’m feeling very poo, the usual high BG with pumping. My BG spikes some time in the morning, not terribly like 12mmol but it is a terrible jump from 6 to 12mmols. I sent a message to my Medtronic rep to ask for help because I want to stay in auto mode with PMS or DP or hormones or whatever (except illness), my pump hasn’t been able to catch up with these morning spikes. I don’t think it is my evening carb ratio. So despite not getting a reply, Ive tweaked everything without the help from my team. I’m not going to wait 4 weeks to see my team, I already feel rubbish and I’m tired from the beeping. It beeps at me when there is a sharp rise going on. I correct and go back to sleep but I prefer if my pump did something about it so I can sleep peacefully for once. And yep, I know what my team will say and I know they’ll come at me with pitch forks and torches. :(
But after the morning spike, the rest of the day is okay. It’s only mornings that I’m screaming at.
Hugs mei x

Reactions: MeiChanski

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Our monthly Vegan Potluck is coming up Sunday again. I going to make a mixed fruit bowl. Back in California there was a health food grocery store that made the best fruit mix. Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, red and green grapes, mango, papaya, pineapple, green and red apples, honeydew melon. Sometimes even pears and nectarines depending on the time of year. Not your standard fruit blend!!! I miss it as I can't buy all the fruits at once to make it and eat that much fruit before it goes bad! So this way I can make it for the potluck and keep a tub at home for me!!!!! This sounds like a potential monthly plan lol...................

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Good morning everyone cant believe its friday again have a good day all
Friday Schmiday :hilarious: 7-7 today, and I’ve potentially got a sensor and pod change to fit in. New sensor applied, old one runs out at 1930 so I might get away with that; pod due at 1700 so I’ll either spend the last two hours of the shift beeping or do a quick change in the back of the truck between patients. Just in the station waiting for a call now. Have a good one, friends x

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Friday all! Up on a 3.3 accordingly to Libre, 4.1 according to meter, and since I'm lucky enough to still be hypo aware I believe my meter. This sensor started on Wednesday, and the last ones I've had have been in the old packaging and they're definitely not as reliable as the ones in the new packaging (well, mine haven't been). Anyway, as predicted it's pouring with rain here, and a friend and I are braving the sodden fields shortly with our dogs. I think it'll be an achievement if I stay upright, but as I'm lucky enough not to be working I'll take that. Hope your day's a good one.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
morning all, I made it to 44hrs in target but then blew it yesterday evening, spent all night fighting against the Chinese - the food not the people! :D But it was blinking good!

Last night went something like......bolused just before eating, another about 30mins after coming back from the dog walk when BG started to rise (so ~2hrs later), another just before bed (~3.5hrs after), then another at 4am when I needed to get up and pee (no surprise there with the numbers I was running). Thankfully by breakfast this morning I was back in range, and continue to be so.

Slightly wet (again) and annoyed at the drive in this morning - was slow due to a RTA at the worse place possible - the police didn't help by not controlling the flow of traffic just sat in their car with the back windscreen flashing a very helpful arrow signalling to go around, not good at a 2 way pinch point. Hopefully those involved are ok - loopercats english cousins were in attendance.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Friday all! Up on a 3.3 accordingly to Libre, 4.1 according to meter, and since I'm lucky enough to still be hypo aware I believe my meter. This sensor started on Wednesday, and the last ones I've had have been in the old packaging and they're definitely not as reliable as the ones in the new packaging (well, mine haven't been). Anyway, as predicted it's pouring with rain here, and a friend and I are braving the sodden fields shortly with our dogs. I think it'll be an achievement if I stay upright, but as I'm lucky enough not to be working I'll take that. Hope your day's a good one.
been the same for me with the ones in the old packaging :(

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I found the ones in the newer packaging so unreliable as to be unusable, just goes to show how different body chemistry is...

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning on this lovely Friday and the start of storm Jorge!

@MeiChanski I don't know much about the 670G and Automode BUT surely you can change the basal settings yourself?? Is there a set pattern to the time your BG jumps to 12??

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning on this lovely Friday and the start of storm Jorge!

@MeiChanski I don't know much about the 670G and Automode BUT surely you can change the basal settings yourself?? Is there a set pattern to the time your BG jumps to 12??

On auto mode, it goes off by active insulin time and carb ratios. So you can’t change basal because it updates itself every 24 hours and changes throughout the day depending on your results from the last 5-6 days or TDD.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

I yanked out my cannula by accident so my BG is slowing rising. Change of settings seems to be doing okay I’ll see if tomorrow changes but I am getting more micro boluses.

Reactions: Marie 2

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
why? (because it's diabetes that's why!) Yesterday handled lunch perfectly, today pigging Everest :meh:

Reactions: Marie 2

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy days, I saw my Diabetes nurse first time today, she scanned my glucometre, and she's really happy I have perfect readings with a very few highs, my H1ABC thingy mahjig should come out around 50 something what ever that means, other than that she was abit surprised because of my readings and my diet control. She believes I should be in the honeymoon phase for the long haul, but only time will tell, shes abit skeptical about me being a T1D though because I went in hospital with DKA but they never followed up on another blood test to confirm it, so there's still hope, but I know I'm definitely type 1

I dont know, its still new to me, shes seeing ive been testing more than 8 times a day and shes worried about my headaches and migraines. So need to book GP again

But on a more positive note, I might be getting a Freestyle Libre thingy mahbob soon lol

Sad news, I wont be getting an insulin pump because I don't qualify, I really wanted one too.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy days, I saw my Diabetes nurse first time today, she scanned my glucometre, and she's really happy I have perfect readings with a very few highs, my H1ABC thingy mahjig should come out around 50 something what ever that means, other than that she was abit surprised because of my readings and my diet control. She believes I should be in the honeymoon phase for the long haul, but only time will tell, shes abit skeptical about me being a T1D though because I went in hospital with DKA but they never followed up on another blood test to confirm it, so there's still hope, but I know I'm definitely type 1

I dont know, its still new to me, shes seeing ive been testing more than 8 times a day and shes worried about my headaches and migraines. So need to book GP again

But on a more positive note, I might be getting a Freestyle Libre thingy mahbob soon lol

Sad news, I wont be getting an insulin pump because I don't qualify, I really wanted one too.

I think you are a bit too newly diagnosed for a pump. It’s another criteria and you must do a carb counting course. If your nurse is skeptical about your type, it’ll be even more of a long shot to get a pump. But grats on your hba1c and everything, do update us on your tests.

Reactions: porl69

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you are a bit too newly diagnosed for a pump. It’s another criteria and you must do a carb counting course. If your nurse is skeptical about your type, it’ll be even more of a long shot to get a pump. But grats on your hba1c and everything, do update us on your tests.
Thank you!

She said I had to be Diabetic for 2 years before getting a pump. She mentioned the carb counting course too, i still don't even know how to carb count i mean do i buy food and weigh it and be like "This Muffin weighs 55 Grams, I shall take 6 Units of Rapids!" if the 1 unit of insulin per 10 Grams of carb ratio is used

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you!

She said I had to be Diabetic for 2 years before getting a pump. She mentioned the carb counting course too, i still don't even know how to carb count i mean do i buy food and weigh it and be like "This Muffin weighs 55 Grams, I shall take 6 Units of Rapids!" if the 1 unit of insulin per 10 Grams of carb ratio is used

I haven’t heard that one before but I know there’s a criteria for it and you need to do a carb counting course. Depending on your CCG, some have waited months or years to get one and some have been put on a waiting list for one and there’s a waiting list to be put onto a carb counting course as well. In my area it’s taught 2-3 times a year. It’s also learning how to adjust your insulin for highs, lows, exercise, activities (planned and unplanned), hormones, stress etc. Because our insulin requirements and sensitivities change throughout the day and the rest of our lives.

Reactions: Razzamuffin

localshop

what's the difference between the old and new packaging please? I'm only on my first sensor so only had one package...

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what's the difference between the old and new packaging please? I'm only on my first sensor so only had one package...
The easiest identifier is that the old packaging has a black base to the box which carries the serial and lot numbers of the sensor. The new packaging has this info on the front of the box and my pharmacy keeps sticking the label with my details on it over that part. You need to hang on to the bit that gives you that info in case you have to contact Abbott if the sensor plays up/falls off etc as they'll ask for it before they'll consider replacing.

Reactions: localshop