What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew! Busy stressful day.
Mutt no 3 back to vets for check up due to spaying scar weeping.
Thankfully she is fine. Wound is NOT opening, and the deep layers are well healed, it is just the skin which is opening up a little, due to her excessive and silly wriggling and scampering.
I mean, in what world is it normal for a dog who had a major tummy op just 10 days ago, to decide to lie on her back and do wriggly yoga poses to stretch and contort til their scar starts seeping?
But just try stopping her! She does it even when crated!

I asked the vet nurse for sedatives to stop her from just... squirming... the woman thought i was joking.

B: delicious ‘Catalan’ eggs at local market.
L: not needed, but I jammed some choc in.
D: will be the chicken pasta bake (GF). The pasta is pea protein, from Aldi’s. Used 2 portions of pasta in 7 portions of the bake. It’s OK, but the pea flavour permeates everything, and is rather unpleasant to me. Mr B likes it.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankfully she is fine. Wound is NOT opening, and the deep layers are well healed, it is just the skin which is opening up a little, due to her excessive and silly wriggling and scampering.
I mean, in what world is it normal for a dog who had a major tummy op just 10 days ago, to decide to lie on her back and do wriggly yoga poses to stretch and contort til their scar starts seeping?

I asked the vet nurse for sedatives to stop her from just... squirming... the woman thought i was joking.

B: delicious ‘Catalan’ eggs at local market.
L: not needed, but I jammed some choc in.
D: will be the chicken pasta bake (GF). The pasta is pea protein, from Aldi’s. Used 2 portions of pasta in 7 portions of the bake. It’s OK, but the pea flavour permeates everything, and is rather unpleasant to me. Mr B likes it.
Hope the wound heals soon, pets wiggling and not healing must be annoying. Plus vet bills are not cheap.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wet, chill wind and miserable day here. Massive sympathy for anyone working outside today- guy building my shed was freezing. Also, driving across the fens to retrieve my wedding ring, realised just how harsh life must have been back in the day. Tea with almond milk + sweetener until 2.30; 28 gms biltong and a very watered down W.. latte; 2 Sainsbury's babybels as I was very, very hungry by 4.30. Evening will be roast (Suffolk) chicken, roast celeriac and roast kale with gravy. Really need hot food today but may be disappointed. Shed built, ring looks like new and fits perfectly. Food will be good other days.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hug was for no. 3! Think she and @DJC3 ’s Dennis must be soul mates.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 28/02/2020
Breakfast: 40g rolled oats, 173g full fat yoghurt, 66g blueberries. 2 white coffee with coconut milk blend.

Snack: 10 Cashews

Lunch: 200g carrot cabbage coleslaw, 154g champagne ham, mustard, 133g raw tomato, pepper. I zap the coleslaw in the microwave to make it all warm, it's a nice lunch

Snack: sugar free ginger ale, 4 white coffee, 120m ml skim milk, equal artificial sweetener tablets

Dinner: savoury mince at mum and dads. It had full fat mince, carrot, zucchini, gravox, spices, caouple of cans of tomato, mushrooms. I would say 150g serve, over a bed of baby spinach and 6 fresh cherry tomatoes, with mustard.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope the wound heals soon, pets wiggling and not healing must be annoying. Plus vet bills are not cheap.

we are getting our revenge (evil cackle!)
Have to bathe scar in salt water twice a day (ow!) and use a cream. She also has to wear a t shirt til it scabs over again.
She isn’t happy about any of this.
But I have explained, very clearly, that she only has herself to blame.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I have 2 dogs that behave in exactly the same way and had the same issues when they were neutered. I had to use baby grows to stop the licking - the tail goes nicely through the bit where the legs and body popper together if you put it so the body poppers are along the back of the dog.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.2 FBG 6. Poor mutt3 @Brunneria. The salt water wash probably pales into insignificance against the embarrassment of wearing a T Shirt. @ianpspurs - glad to see your wedding ring has made it home. I'm not long back from swimming with the boys. An afternoon of squashed pinkies because they wouldn't listen. No. 2 did at least admit they had learned a lesson that we warn them to be careful for a reason. No broken bones just squished pride.
B. Just TAG
L. Nothing - school pick up/lunch for the boys/ swimming
D. Another DD recipe I like - DD coconut salmon with sweetheart cabbage fried in butter. I also made a sauce with Thai red curry paste and coconut cream. Another 1/4 of the Baked apple Isey Skyr from M&S.
Hubby is off to football so I got peace to watch the news tonight. Is it just me or does it seem a bit crazy to allow schoolchildren to "strike" and gather in their thousands when the planet is trying to contain covid19?? The other item that caught my attention had me checking to see if it was April 1st. It seems the nut jobs up here want to recommend to judges not to send the under 25's to prison because their " brain hasn't matured" properly. It brings to mind visions of Tam & Gus deciding to go for a wee burglary because they're 25 soon! The world is going nuts! Rant over.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria I have 2 dogs that behave in exactly the same way and had the same issues when they were neutered. I had to use baby grows to stop the licking - the tail goes nicely through the bit where the legs and body popper together if you put it so the body poppers are along the back of the dog.
Now that's funny.

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The coconut salmon. Made the red curry a bit hot. Mouth is still tingling.
20200228_183343.jpg

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
water going down here in Bewdley but bridge still closed. A whole day of rain today was not needed! Weekend storm also not welcome!
Hungry / comfort food needed today!
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg with half a toasted chaffle
Lunch veggie soup followed by coffee and dd lc nut and seed bar
Dinner glass of dry white and six walnuts whilst cooking duck stir fry with konjac noodles followed by sf jelly and lactose free yoghurt.

mouseee

Evening!
Seems to be a bug going round at work (the adults at least!) Leaving us tummy achey, headachey and exhausted. Battled through the day with thoughts of the weekend to keep me going!

Breakfast.- can confirm aeropress coffee a success! I will wean myself off capsules and use it daily.

Lunch - cauliflower and green bean curry leftovers and some greek yogurt with a sprinkle of this oat and grain free granola I was given. Not particularly LC but the amount I had was less than 5g worth and it was very tasty.

Dinner - Chinese takeaway as feeling too poorly to shop for food. Had salt and peppper prawns and some double cooked pork. Allowed myself a couple of forkfuls of chowmein.

Hoping not to wake up too early but husband now on holiday for a week. Often works weekends so when he goes , I go back to sleep. Less chance of that if he decides he wants to make better use of the weekend. He's been known to want to go out food shopping at 8am! Too early for the weeknd. As the only child is a teenager I dont have to worry about her, and even if the cat meows she'll come and snooze for a bit!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Miserable day weather wise, so not sure why I ended up having 2 salads. Lunch was https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-caesar-salad (really nice dressing).
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tuna-plate but couldn’t actually finish it all.
@Goonergal a couple of tests this afternoon showed that bg is inexplicably high (6.1 and 6.3) in the afternoons atm so I don’t think the pork scratchings are to blame - it’s just me having a blip. I’ve decided to change things around for a few days and have just breakfast and a late lunch instead, see if that’s better.
@Brunneria hugs for poor little 3. Dennis had to wear a babygro when he was castrated ( they had to rummage around in his tum to find a lost testicle) it hasn’t calmed him down one iota. Today he’s broken the tv remote ( again) and got hold of daughter’s fancy pot of lip balm. Both were, I thought, out of his reach but he has supernatural stretching powers like Twizzle ( if you’re old enough to remember) his breath smells lovely now though after the lip balm. He has also destroyed 2 dog beds in less than a week and looks very perplexed when there is nowhere comfy for him to lie when he comes into the kitchen now!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal a couple of tests this afternoon showed that bg is inexplicably high (6.1 and 6.3) in the afternoons atm so I don’t think the pork scratchings are to blame - it’s just me having a blip. I’ve decided to change things around for a few days and have just breakfast and a late lunch instead, see if that’s better.

Hope you can sort it.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn’t post yesterday as got in late from a comedy show at the theatre :)

So yesterday:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and raspberry phd bar.
At the theatre waiting for act to come on stage, (knowing that we wouldn’t be eating til very late) a small pkt of Cheesies.
Dinner if you can call it that!: a small doner kebab consisting of lamb, garlic mayo, lettuce, a little onion and cucumber, and just two mouthfuls of pitta. Wasn’t sure what this very late meaty feast would do to my fasting blood sugar, but it was 5mmol/L, so happy with that :)

Today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cheesy scrambled eggs followed by extra thick double cream (ran out of Greek yoghurt), coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and raspberry phd bar.
Dinner: 2 x chicken drumsticks, cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and Wildings duck crackling followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
we are getting our revenge (evil cackle!)
Have to bathe scar in salt water twice a day (ow!) and use a cream. She also has to wear a t shirt til it scabs over again.
She isn’t happy about any of this.
But I have explained, very clearly, that she only has herself to blame.
That'll teach her!
The salt water wash probably pales into insignificance against the embarrassment of wearing a T Shirt.
Agree! :D
Still, give her a kiss from me, Brunneria!

It's a quarter to eleven here and I just finished a 2 and a half hour phone call. Diabetes has been thinking it's fun to pull tricks on me all day so I'm not much minded to do dinner this late, especially not my planned unknown amount of carbs dinner. Or maybe it wouldn't make a difference, as diabetes is behaving unpredictable anyway.

So not at all sure what will happen before bed, food wise.

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have been Intermittent fasters for about 3.5 years. 16:8
This week I've decided to go LowCarb.

No breakfast just a cup of tea.
Pea & Ham soup for lunch.
Slice of Ham rolled around Mascarpone cheese and a handful of almonds for snack.
Creamy Chicken & Mushrooms with shredded cabbage fried in butter.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
27-02-2020
Breakfast didnt feel like cooking so chunk of cheese and handful of Brazil's. CWC
Lunch usual ham, cheese, salad. Cup of tea.
Dinner pork chop, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, carrots. Gravy. Handful of grated cheese after. Glass of white burgundy.
Bedtime will be lemon tea.
Not a very busy day, bit of shopping, more chopsaw work. Done all the loose pieces designated as firewood, so we might be able to reach the chestnut planks MrSlim wants to use for windowsills now. They have been stacked there for a couple of years, so there was a lot of other stuff in front of them. Still fair bit to move, old doors, beams, barrel staves etc. Luckily we won't need to move the wagons.
Very pleased my shoulder is holding out so far. It had started to seize up again while we were away.
One good thing, ordered a pair of boots in November, realised after Christmas they hadn't arrived, despite being informed they were delivered 12/12. Contacted the seller on eBay, asked where they had been delivered, as we sometimes use different addresses in UK. Got my money back next day. All good. Yes. Except the boots were waiting for me at sons house when we visited recently. One has lost a zip tag. Otherwise nicer than the replacement pair I ordered.
@shelley262 glad the waters are receding a little. Agreed we don't need another storm either. Stay safe and dry, you and your community.
@mouseee Great HbA1c
@Winnie-the-Pooh rest and recover, we will all be pleased to see you on your return.
@Chook gave you a winner for the BG and doc verdict, but have a hug for the poorly hands.