why can't I get a decent morning reading, so annoyed!

nathansdiary

Dislikes
Non diabetics who think they know better and people who keep asking me "are you allowed to eat that?"
I have tried so many different things and I keep getting really high morning readings. Its really getting me down now as I have had so much sucess everywhere else. This morning i woke to a reading of 15!!! I get normal readings before bed, I have tried splitting my lantus, which didn't make any change for me. People often say maybe you are going hypo in the night so I have woken up during the night and tested and all is fine. I have tried having a tiny snack before bed incase I am going hypo but still no joy. I just do not understand and I just want that final part of the day to fall in line with everything else. Please can anyone offer some advice. These morning reading are throwing off my average reading which is disheartening me.

Many thanks and sorry for the huge moan ha ha.

Kev

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
i think either dawn phenomenon or you are hypoing in the night and bouncing.

if you have split your lantus... try reducing your evening dose and see what difference that makes, to wake up at 15 sounds like your bounching from a hypo...

if you wake up even high after lowing your lantus then increase it from the original dose... it could even be that you dont have enough background over night... as our bodies have different basal rates through out the day and depending on so many variables. Thats why pumps are so good!

When i was on Lantus i found i needed a little bit more lantus over night than i did in the day time. Strangly with Levemire it's the other way around, which is really odd.

Tinkerbelly

Kev

As you are not going hypo in the night, the only other reason most likely for the rise up in bg in the morning will be down to you not using enough Lantus at bedtime. Try increasing it a bit, still eating a bit of carb like you are already doing and then see if your bg is a bit lower in the morning. Its all trial and error so might take a couple of days to get the Lantus dose sorted out. If it starts to lower then you'll know that your on the right track.

What is your bg before bed when you eat your snack (how many carbs snack are you eating?) Obviously the higher the bg is before bed, the more Lantus you need to use OR an alternative way would be to bolus 2 or 3 units fast acting insulin and keep the Lantus dose the same.

Katharine

A safe way of doing things is to calculate your overnight lantus dose on your 3am blood sugar. This way you don't give yourself too much lantus. If you have a significant dawn phenomenon you could give yourself too much lantus trying to compensate for it.

hails

Are you eating a carb meal before you go to bed? Only I inject about 16 of lantus a night, if I eat late my levels at night tell me they a decent 7 or so but because you body hasnt stopped releasing all your carbs into your blood system it raises a lot in the night so you come in high in the morning.
If you do, try eating earlier in the evening and injecting more maybe? This is what I have had to do as I was coming in a little to high in the mornings

Hayley

nathansdiary

Dislikes
Non diabetics who think they know better and people who keep asking me "are you allowed to eat that?"
I don't eat carb foods before bed, in fact as a general rule the latest in the day I will eat carbs is lunch as I don't like them lingering in my system evening time. I have tried reducing and increasing my lantus to cover both the hypo/hyper possibilities at night. I will try reducing the bedtime shot again tonight and set the alarm for 3 to see whats happening, I could always top up if need be.