Instead of Wheat Pasta

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use this instead of Pasta. Lentil or Green Pea fusilli.
I hope I am right believing it's much lower carb.
Up until recently I've been able to buy Chickpea fusilli which I have also thought is low carb.

Attachments

• pasta-min.jpg
    pasta-min.jpg
    795.6 KB · Views: 210

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use this instead of Pasta. Lentil or Green Pea fusilli.
I hope I am right believing it's much lower carb.
Up until recently I've been able to buy Chickpea fusilli which I have also thought is low carb.
Still too starchy for me personally... What's the packet say?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Depends on the goals of the individual. For substitution I would probably do zoodles.

In general I have noticed problems with items that were once whole, then refined down such as peas.

Reactions: KathyFrance

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
According to Tesco's website
Ordinary pasta fusilli is 35.2g of carbs per 100g
Lentil fusilli is. 32.1g
Chickpea is. 52g
Green pea is. 55g
So it seems to me that if you can't live without pasta you might as well have the real thing

Reactions: KathyFrance

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still too starchy for me personally... What's the packet say?

We only have this type of pasta once per 14 days at the most. I've never been a lover of Pasta.
There are no nutritional values on the packet. Just Organic, Gluten Free and Pea Flour.

Attachments

• optimized-w53f.jpg
    optimized-w53f.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 197

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to Tesco's website
Lentil fusilli is. 32.1g
Chickpea is. 52g
Green pea is. 55g
So it seems to me that if you can't live without pasta you might as well have the real thing
Thankfully, I CAN live with out and this is an eye opener, thanks.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen Aldi Black Bean Spaghetti getting a good report on this forum somewhere. It is 6.7g carbs per 50g dry weight serving. I mean to try it but I haven't been near an Aldi recently.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We only have this type of pasta once per 14 days at the most. I've never been a lover of Pasta.
There are no nutritional values on the packet. Just Organic, Gluten Free and Pea Flour.
Yes - but what is the carb count? That is the thing to know, otherwise, how can you tell what is causing good or bad numbers on the meter?

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes - but what is the carb count? That is the thing to know, otherwise, how can you tell what is causing good or bad numbers on the meter?
I think it's quite obvious I don't know which is why I was asking.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I have seen Aldi Black Bean Spaghetti getting a good report on this forum somewhere. It is 6.7g carbs per 50g dry weight serving. I mean to try it but I haven't been near an Aldi recently.

I read about this somewhere recently. I suspect it was one of your posts! I have an Aldi not too far away, so Ill try it and report back.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read about this somewhere recently. I suspect it was one of your posts! I have an Aldi not too far away, so Ill try it and report back.
I think I probably would have remembered if it was my own post :). Coincidentally my daughter said she was going to Aldi this evening so I will also report back.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankfully, I CAN live with out and this is an eye opener, thanks.
I tend to have pasta about 4 times per year and find that if I cook it, swill it under a cold tap and then reheat it doesn’t affect my BS too much.

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We had lasagne today as I'd promised to make it for lunch to take to daughter's new house. I'm not going panic.
Have lost 1 kilo since a couple of weeks ago however worryingly have gained a Visceral Fat point! Hope that balances out soon.

mouseee

About to make pasta and pesto for my dinner using one of the three types of pasta bought from Aldi today. I will report back on both taste and bs.
Black bean, soy bean or edamame bean to select from!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

mouseee

Back with an update.

A small portion of the edemame bean pasta with pesto, mushrooms and parmesan. 2 hours later I was 2 points lower than before eating!

Reactions: Pink_Minx

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Wow, thanks for sharing your pasta swap! Lentil or green pea fusilli sounds like a nutritious alternative to traditional pasta, with lower carbs and a good dose of protein.
I suspect that you didn't read very far into the thread.
On 29th Feb 2020 @catintahat quoted figures from Teso Website:
"According to Tesco's website
Lentil fusilli is. 32.1g
Chickpea is. 52g
Green pea is. 55g
So it seems to me that if you can't live without pasta you might as well have the real thing"

Since then, people have mentioned that Aldi have Black Bean pasta and Edemame Bean pasta, both of which are much lower in carbs.
(I occasionally eat the black bean pasta myself).

One of the problems with dry pasta is that you need to know whether the carbs are per dry weight or per cooked weight, and make your decision accordingly.