Should I be happy or sad? T2 and changing tastes...

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, I am coming to to 3 months post-diagnosis and I have been LCHF/keto-ing ever since I got the news. Like many people there were one or two things I have found really difficult to cut out completely, in my case, bread, and yummy lattes out of my home espresso machine.

So I have been allowing myself the odd small slice of toast or the occasional latte, knowing that they will spike my BG. Not more than the suggested 2mmol/l, but still, more than I would prefer to see.

But - this morning was a treat morning since I am on leave from work for a week, so I had a latte. Oh dear - ordinary full fat milk tasted so sweet! I’m not surprised that my body thinks it’s pure sugar! I didn’t enjoy it that much, I really think that my efforts to retrain my palate to black coffee or coffee with cream have actually worked.

As for toasted home-made (by the bread machine) wholemeal seeded bread, yes, it’s still delicious. But as my chronic digestive issues have slowly improved due to diet, weight loss - whatever - I really notice the bloating and indigestion one little slice brings on. I’m starting to think it’s not worth it....

I may be ready to sell the espresso machine, but I’m going to give the bread machine one last go with one of those oat fibre/wheat gluten loaves once I get the ingredients, see what that does to both BG and digestion. Bread is just so convenient for conveying other tasty morsels from plate to mouth!

Reactions: NicoleC1971

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try double cream in the coffee.

There are keto bread recipes for bread machines out there. I got a bread machine at Christmas but haven't had the energy to use it yet.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
So many members find it difficult to kick bread ... but I will always have a one shot craving for it once a week.

M

Member496333

My palate has also changed beyond all recognition. Absolutely no desire for anything sweet, and I can pretty much smell sugar at a hundred paces. An open bottle of beer smells like whisky from across the room. 100% dark chocolate tasted sweet the last time I ate any. Our bodies are miraculous.

Happy or sad? Well that's a personal thing. For me it's nether here or there, since I broke my carbohydrate vices a long time ago. I love my current diet, so I guess I would say happy.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I am coming to to 3 months post-diagnosis and I have been LCHF/keto-ing ever since I got the news. Like many people there were one or two things I have found really difficult to cut out completely, in my case, bread, and yummy lattes out of my home espresso machine.

So I have been allowing myself the odd small slice of toast or the occasional latte, knowing that they will spike my BG. Not more than the suggested 2mmol/l, but still, more than I would prefer to see.

But - this morning was a treat morning since I am on leave from work for a week, so I had a latte. Oh dear - ordinary full fat milk tasted so sweet! I’m not surprised that my body thinks it’s pure sugar! I didn’t enjoy it that much, I really think that my efforts to retrain my palate to black coffee or coffee with cream have actually worked.

As for toasted home-made (by the bread machine) wholemeal seeded bread, yes, it’s still delicious. But as my chronic digestive issues have slowly improved due to diet, weight loss - whatever - I really notice the bloating and indigestion one little slice brings on. I’m starting to think it’s not worth it....

I may be ready to sell the espresso machine, but I’m going to give the bread machine one last go with one of those oat fibre/wheat gluten loaves once I get the ingredients, see what that does to both BG and digestion. Bread is just so convenient for conveying other tasty morsels from plate to mouth!
For me, it helped... When something's absolutely sickeningly sweet to me now, I'm cured of the cravings instantly. ;) (Said the lass who would put 5 spoons of sugar in her double espresso.). I found the same issue with bread-like things, by the way... Bloat, discomfort, constipation, IBS... Made it easier to give it up. Though I'll still make keto mug bread occasionally. By the way, far as coffee.... I second the double cream suggestion. Sometimes I whip up some unsweetened cream and put it on my espresso's... (Espresso con panna). If I can't be bothered I just pour a little cream straight in. But.... Aside from all that, you've noticed your taste is changing... Have you also noticed other things seem to have a lot more flavour than they used to? To me, most foods taste a lot less bland. So there's some cause for celebration right there, should you discover the same. ;)

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, thank you, I have switched to double cream, it’s a staple in my fridge now (I could eat it with a spoon, like ice cream, if I let myself but I am trying to lose weight :angelic:)

Jim, I think it is a good thing, on balance, but I miss the simple pleasure I used to get from a couple of slices of toast with peanut butter, accompanied by a delicious latte. This was my leisurely weekend treat after the early starts and stressful nonsense of the working week. I eat really nice food still, but breakfast has generally disappeared from the agenda as I am rarely hungry in the morning. And my relationship with food is more prosaic now, it’s no longer a self-reward system. It’s not the food itself I miss (apart from the aforementioned bread) so much as the pleasure it generated. I have no doubt that the current situation is healthier, physically and mentally, but it’s not the same.

Having said that, I fasted for most of yesterday and spent half the day anticipating the beautiful sirloin steak with mushrooms, all fried in butter, which I had for my tea. That was worth waiting for!

M

Member496333

@TeddyTottie, wheat is probably the most addictive carbohydrate in the galaxy. You can get people to give up sugar, but try taking away their bread, and you better make a fast getaway. Read the book Wheat Belly by William Davis if you're of a mind. It's an eye opener.

For clarity, if people want to eat bread then they should. It's none of my business.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I cut down the number of coffees I have, and when I swapped to full fat milk I also cut the amount of milk by a third. Then slowly swapped some of that to a little coconut milk (some taste stronger & sweeter than others). plus if I want a third coffee some days I use part cream in at least two of them.
Overall I'm having about a quarter of the amount of milk, and full fat instead of skimmed.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Its a little poignant when the things you craved end up not tasting so great anymore....good luck on your search for a tasty 'vehicle' food!

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in October of last year, with an HbA1c of 50. My second blood test is tomorrow and I’m hoping the result will be good, as I’ve lost 21lb since then, have exercised more (walking and using an exercise bike) and been on the LCHF diet, so fingers crossed!

I have not missed potatoes, rice or pasta and only occasionally have missed bread and a bit more, missed the toppings that go on it, like peanut butter, baked beans, mushrooms on toast etc. Also, occasionally missed things like crumpets, scones, crisps, cake and biscuits etc. Lol. But, on thinking about it now, and seriously, I think the thing I grieve about the most and which I have found most upsetting, is when I walk around a supermarket and have to walk right past aisles that I would previously have strolled through, looking for something nice and yummy to eat; you know, things that take your fancy at a particular moment, because you “could” have them (or so you thought!). Yes, it’s definitely those moments that I miss. :meh::confused::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears: Lol!

It’s okay though, because although I still feel sad about it, I know that what I do now is for the best and that I’m far more aware of taking care of myself and actually savour the small treats that I do have, like a couple of squares of 95% dark chocolate or a homemade Keto cookie. So, I’m happy that I got diagnosed when I did and that it wasn’t too late to make positive changes, for my future health. :)

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in October of last year, with an HbA1c of 50. My second blood test is tomorrow and I’m hoping the result will be good, as I’ve lost 21lb since then, have exercised more (walking and using an exercise bike) and been on the LCHF diet, so fingers crossed!

I have not missed potatoes, rice or pasta and only occasionally have missed bread and a bit more, missed the toppings that go on it, like peanut butter, baked beans, mushrooms on toast etc. Also, occasionally missed things like crumpets, scones, crisps, cake and biscuits etc. Lol. But, on thinking about it now, and seriously, I think the thing I grieve about the most and which I have found most upsetting, is when I walk around a supermarket and have to walk right past aisles that I would previously have strolled through, looking for something nice and yummy to eat; you know, things that take your fancy at a particular moment, because you “could” have them (or so you thought!). Yes, it’s definitely those moments that I miss. :meh::confused::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears: Lol!

It’s okay though, because although I still feel sad about it, I know that what I do now is for the best and that I’m far more aware of taking care of myself and actually savour the small treats that I do have, like a couple of squares of 95% dark chocolate or a homemade Keto cookie. So, I’m happy that I got diagnosed when I did and that it wasn’t too late to make positive changes, for my future health. :)

LOL yes, I can get round the supermarket in a fraction of the time these days, whole swathes of it remain untrodden!

I go shopping less often and my food bill has taken a nose-dive, even though I buy more individually expensive items, like nuts, good steak, posh mushrooms, giant tubs of Greek yoghurt etc.

Homemade keto cookies are my new go-to, lemon and almond are my favourite. I make a big batch and freeze them, to keep my sticky mitts from ad-libbing the portion size!

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I missed bread a lot when I hit the keto trail - then I discovered Livlife low carb bread sold by Waitrose and Ocado and some Morrisons stores.......delicious and only 3.8g carb per slice - a lot better than about 20g in a normal slice of bread! I allow myself one slice a day most days.

mouseee

Made jacket potatoes twice for the family recently and haven't wanted any of it which is new.

Bread though.... that's the thing... I had a slice earlier as a cheese sandwich and now I'm desperate for another slice. However, took bs and far too high! So its staying in the packet, it's taking a lot of will power right now!

Have made one low carb loaf but it was pretty disastrous. I'll try again.

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL yes, I can get round the supermarket in a fraction of the time these days, whole swathes of it remain untrodden!

I go shopping less often and my food bill has taken a nose-dive, even though I buy more individually expensive items, like nuts, good steak, posh mushrooms, giant tubs of Greek yoghurt etc.

Homemade keto cookies are my new go-to, lemon and almond are my favourite. I make a big batch and freeze them, to keep my sticky mitts from ad-libbing the portion size!

———————————————————————
Lol. Yes, shopping is much quicker these days.
We go out with the dogs most days and stop off for coffee in pubs and cafes etc. A lot of places will give you a free biscotti biscuit or a gold foil wrapped chocolate with your drink, which of course I used to like. My husband now has mine. :arghh:However, this morning, I took one of my homemade Keto biscuits with me to have with my coffee and cream. Very nice! :)

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish bread would eventually be off-putting to me. I miss it so much. A good caraway rye toasted with butter with my bacon and eggs. Omelette sandwhich... Gyro on pita. Yeah, much harder to kick than sugar.

As for the espresso machine.. if the dairy is getting sweet, why not try "Americano". It's my drink of choice, but if you dont like black coffee, it's clearly not going to work for you. Dairy has never been part of coffee for me.