What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So not at all sure what will happen before bed, food wise.
Opted for the planned meal. Last insulin was 7 hours ago and I'm dropping below 4 again so let's see what happens. Plate is finished now and I'm giving it another 10 minutes to see if I'll rise above 4 before doing anything else.
As far as I remember I did need some insulin for this meal, so without it should do the trick. It tasted wonderful anyway :)
88054735_10219963772959014_5642128773877858304_o.jpg

edit: 4,9 now, so it worked! Now fingers crossed I won't rise to ridiculous levels, as I'm not keen to add more insulin before bed on a day where diabetes seems to want to hypo all the time, and I really can't remember how much this meal needed last time.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
7.45 am Started the day with 2 bananas - small ones, a bit over-ripe, but it filled a gap. FBG was 7.1. The gap was bigger than the filling. Had some apple slices with peanut butter dabbed on them (it wouldn't spread). That led to BG of 10.8 before lunch.

Lunch was green gloopy soup - BG 4.1 after that.

Evening meal (late afternoon actually, before I went out) was spicy chicken with chick peas. BG 5.4.

So, apart from the fruit, the day wasn't too bad in terms of causing a rise in BG. It was pretty bad in terms of BP though.

10 boys who haven't been to the children's class for a few weeks, much to my relief I have to say, turned up again this evening. It was hell! All leading each other on and I actually had to break up a bit of a fight between 2 11 year olds. Oh boy, boys! The fierce voice only worked for about half a minute at a time. Trouble was, the gym we hire for their games, was double booked to a football team (adults) and they overran even the time they were allocated, although they knew we were waiting outside the gym door. Then someone locked the equipment cupboard and we couldn't get equipment out for them to use for the 10 minutes that were left to us. Bit of a disaster really. Then again, I was feeling pretty bad by that time and wanted to go home early, but had to stay on to give people lifts home. I was probably a bit short tempered, although my patience was praised.

I used to have a notice on the wall behind my desk at the college which read: "My patience used to be legendary, but now it is a myth!" It disappeared into the mists of time this evening.

Reactions: maglil55

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 29/02/2020
Only managed to go for an half hour walk today
Breakfast: 52g rolled oats, 66g greengage plums, 41g blueberries, 13g peanut butter, 152g full fat yoghurt. 4 white coffee 120ml diary milk, one black coffee.

Snack: 10 cashews

Lunch: 122g tuna in spring water, 200g carrot cabbage coleslaw, 150g tomato, 112g cucumber, mustard, salt, pepper. 2 white coffee with unsweetened coconut milk blend 80ml and equal artificial sweetener. sugar free mountain dew.

Dinner: 3 large eggs, 60g mushrooms, 200g mung bean sprouts, 104g brocoli, 17g reduced fat cheese, 20ml mild salsa, mustard, salt, pepper. Chamomile and peppermint tea.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Have not posted for the last three days, so a bit of catching up to do.

@ianpspurs -- Hope Julie and other family members are feeling a bit better now.
@Winnie-the-Pooh -- So sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be better soon.
@mouseee -- Congrats on the fabulous HbA1c result.

@ANTJE, @Brunneria, @DCUKMod -- Thanks so much for all the feedback on the alternative moo grob. Forgot to get the duck breast when grocery shopping this week, but will definitely experiment the week after.

Wednesday's food:

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Three brazil nuts and about 10g of 95% chocolate.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing, shredded gouda and some pieces of roast chicken. Half a DD keto roll with goat cream cheese and green olives. Some dry red wine.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thursday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. Some roast chicken.

Snack: About 10g of a regular Sacher torte, too many carbs really, but it was only a tiny piece and very good unfortunately.

Dinner: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and salmon. More roast chicken. A tub of chicken liver pate. Dry red wine.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A serving of Philly Cheese steak (Steak strips, onion, green bell pepper, creme fraiche, cheddar).

Dinner: One sea bass filet, a tub of chicken liver pate, another very, very small piece of Sacher torte, about 15g of 85% chocolate. Dry red wine earlier when out and about with my husband.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@flowerthym and @KathyFrance -- Welcome to the thread. Looking forward to your posts.
@flowerthym -- Agree with the others, carbs and especially fructose (rather than fats) are probably to be blamed for fatty liver. If you are interested in finding out more, google Dr. Robert Lustig who has published some studies on fatty liver in children and the benefits of fructose restriction.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today will be leftover-leftover second-hand Chinese food with leftover salad.
Tomorrow will be adventurous cooking. I planned a whole new (to me) dish with a whole new angle to soup. Very easy too, but no recipe, just a pretty random list of ingredients. Very curious how it will turn out and whether I'll need to resort to emergency rations and try to feed the soup to the dogs, cats or chickens, or whether I'll love it :)

mouseee

Evening!

Breakfast coffee and some yogurt.

Went out to get husbands new glasses - his first pair. I have now realised, having picked them up several times already (they are just reading) it's just another thing for him to lose and me to find, along with his car key, door key and my door key when hes borrowed that! We have a great big wooden bowl to put the keys in when you come through the front door, but seems to only work for 2/3 of the family!

Lunch cheese sandwich with a slice of real bread. Bad plan as then spent the afternoon battling the craving for more. But have managed not to eat another slice.

Apple and peanut butter mid afternoon

Dinner - crispy fried tofu which we haven't done for ages with stir fried veg.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast = tea with almond milk (the boys bacon butties were tempting I must admit)
Lunch = 2 very big field mushrooms - biggest I have ever seen - with an egg in each; some grated cheddar in lieu of tomato sauce
Evening = Garlic and corriander salmon, spinach and avocado then 3 squares Perlege dark chocolate. Update: Did eat the garlic and corriander prawns Julie couldn't eat but much as I was tempted I didn't eat the pasta or sauce.

Garl_corrSalmon.jpg

Last edited:

mouseee

How do you make the tofu? It usually doesn't want to get crispy for me.
There is a pre-being-diabetic trick... which if you can tolerate a bit of cornflour... works! My bs have been high today so I haven't got a proper pre meal reading to compare it with. Probably wasnt the best day to try it but daughter wanted it!

Basically, chop up the tofu, roll in, or sprinkle over, seasoned cornflour and fry in whatever oil you want. It does get properly crispy. I haven't had it since diagnosis but wanted something different.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a pre-being-diabetic trick... which if you can tolerate a bit of cornflour... works!
Thank you! Corn flour goes on the shopping list. Being a T1 on insulin I only eat low carb most days because I'm too lazy to play the 'did-I-guess-my-insulin-dose-right-game' for hours after eating every day. (And because I hope it'll keep me from getting fatter that I already am too.)
So plenty of wiggling room, carb wise for me :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My resolution to get up early and go to the Parkrun was stymied as it was cancelled in favour of the World Pasty Championships being held at the Eden Project. I was sorely tempted to hang around but took hold of myself and went home and had a cheese omelette.
Chicken leg and h/b egg leftover in fridge for lunch. Afternoon bg much better for having had breakfast.
Dinner was chicken fajita in a LoDough wrap. Not a DD recipe it was in the Weekend supplement. It was lovely, fresh lime, chilli, guacamole all good lc fare.
@ianpspurs your salmon dinner looks really nice. Is Julie still under the weather?
@shelley262 hope the water level is still dropping.
@KathyFrance welcome to the thread, have you noticed the IF has had an effect on your bg or weight?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs your salmon dinner looks really nice. Is Julie still under the weather?
Its the white plate that does it. Both of us struggling to shake off this virus really but Julie couldn't eat her prawns or pasta. Last chance for brisket tomorrow. Found the best we could but still not optimistic. Quite amused by the World Pasty Championship but glad you had a good dog walk.
Edit: Now I've read this https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/sous-vide-times-temperatures/how-to-sous-vide/brisket I'm even less optimistic - maybe start cooking tomorrow for Tuesday.:arghh: This one looks a winner - we like and have found the liquid smoke but chipottle is a no no https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-recipes/more/sous-vide-brisket-recipe

Last edited:

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@KathyFrance welcome to the thread, have you noticed the IF has had an effect on your bg or weight?

No, I have been on steroids for the same time I have been an IF, so put weight on. Blood sugar remains stable with meds and I don't check it myself but have regular blood tests.
Looking forward to discovering (fingers crossed) that cutting carbs will cause some weight loss but also, more importantly bring down inflammation.

Reactions: DJC3 and Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.8 FBG 6.5. Still snuffly and a bit higher in the mornings but it is dropping quickly and staying low. The rain is back but the Esk had dropped back so shouldn't be an issue. @SlimLizzy - result! Only time that ever happened to me was with fingerlings for the boys. Took me 6 weeks to get a refund and after 8 months!! they appeared. @DJC3- I'm still trying to picture the Pasty thing. It wouldn't have bothered me as I've never liked pasties. They have some similarities to Bridies which are sold here (I don't like them either). I still have a battle with Scotch Pies though. Today No 1 grandson decided he didn't want to go to the cinema to see Sonic and preferred to come shopping with me. He was very helpful marking up the list and helping me find everything. @Annb - I hear what you're saying - boys! There's a few at grandsons school that could cause a ruckus in an empty room. I have to say the P7's this year are monsters. One of them thought it would be a laugh to set off the fire alarm last week. They hadn't reckoned on the CCTV catching them on camera though.
B. Just TAG.
L. On a run to the cinema, then shopping with No 1 then home to sort out the shopping.
D. An unintentional OMAD. Got the Oopsie bread made when I got home and some of it became the DD tuna melt. I need to get a bit less heavy on the garlic. The last time I made Oopsies they came out quite large. They're ginormous this time. I think I'm mixing them too well.
Love the tuna melt though. Been a while since I had that.
20200229_175154.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: fry up of bacon, egg and mushrooms followed by strawberries, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon in an independent coffee shop (Nero’s was full :() birthday cake phd bar and a coconut cappuccino.
Dinner was Chinese take away, 1/4 crispy duck, 2 small pancakes with a smidge of sauce and spring onions and cucumber followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.