Type 1 Steroids with a general anaesthetic

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can’t bring my sugars down

Hi all,
Had surgery yesterday and was given a steroid with the anaesthetic to stop nausea. Was fine when I came round but 36 hours later even with the advice to check for ketones and keep doing correction doses, it’s still rocketing. I’ve had 3 oatcakes and salad for tea and my test was 12.8 ( lowest it’s been ) and now it’s 18 only 4 hours later and ketones are 0.5 ( they did go to 1.4 ). The diabetes nurse is ringing on Monday but last night in hospital I was awake all night checking my blood sugars while they got worse. I suspect it’ll be like that now I’m at home. The surgeon said the effects of a steroid last only 12-24 hours only but didn’t really know about the diabetes side of things, plus the anaesthetic was only a short one. Anyone else had this? Really miffed as I’m shattered. TIA

Last edited:

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @conniecar, sorry to hear you're having a rough time at the moment. I've only had topical corticosteroids but the first day I used them, they did something rotten to my bloods, I was high as a kite and had ketones, couldn't get my bloods down all day and felt rather grim. I've had 4 different steroids now (all topical) and they all did it, but it was only for the first day and now I can use them without problems. I realise it's not the same but hopefully you should start seeing an improvement soon

Reactions: conniecar

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
You’ve got to figure out if you can stop taking the steroid. For all of the crazy things I’ve done to my poor body and the recovery bits that I’ve had to do, I’ve learned to refuse the steroids. Your blood sugar has to be through the roof!

Whoever prescribed the steroid, call them. See if you can stop taking it, and maybe do something with a pain killer, ice, and heat. Does that doctor know you have diabetes? Just based on diabetes they should’ve considered the consequences of the steroid and how it would affect you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@conniecar - Sorry you are having a seriously rubbish time at the moment. I hope for all of that your procedure went well and you have an idea of the way forward with the underlying condition.

I know you are a long-time T1, so very used to managing your diabetes, so ignore me if I'm totally off-piste with the suggestion, but if your bloods are totally whangy at the moment, could it be worthwhile having a day or two really low carb?

I know you also live with coeliac disease, but I have no idea if you are veggie or enjoy meat, but I think in your shoes, I'd maybe try a couple of days on meat, eggs, cheese and such like, and save the carbs for when the steroids have pushed off out of your system?

Reactions: conniecar

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I’ve been very low carb all day with lots of veg and although I still feel rubbish, I’m down to 9.8 which is better. I think that next time I have a general I’ll mention the anti emetic drug/steroid as ironically the procedure I’ve been fine with, just the resulting blood sugars! I’m off work luckily so I’ll get through it. So many things to work out, even after 44 years! Thanks for everyone’s advice x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I’ve been very low carb all day with lots of veg and although I still feel rubbish, I’m down to 9.8 which is better. I think that next time I have a general I’ll mention the anti emetic drug/steroid as ironically the procedure I’ve been fine with, just the resulting blood sugars! I’m off work luckily so I’ll get through it. So many things to work out, even after 44 years! Thanks for everyone’s advice x

At least your numbers are down a bit, which seems like one less thing for concern.

Of course, they might just have come down anyway, as the steroid work their way out of your system, but in reality we probably both know that's a chicken and egg conundrum.

Might be worth and extra day or two on low carb.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Result! Felt awful again 72 hours after the anaesthetic so I contacted the GP and diabetes nurse. The GP couldn’t really help apart from to say my ketones were high. The nurse was useful and said to keep doing corrections and wait. Finally I rang my Dad, partner in diabetes for 40 years who told me to carry on but walk round the block. Simple but it worked. Forced myself out feeling grim, but within half an hour I’d gone down to 7.1, and we all know the key to happiness is good blood sugars when we’ve tried so hard. Thanks everyone, thought I’d share this. In his words ‘We have lots of experts, but there’s nothing like someone who lives it every minute, even if it is your Dad.’

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Winner for the positive attitude not the unfortunate side effects nor the originating condition

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Result! Felt awful again 72 hours after the anaesthetic so I contacted the GP and diabetes nurse. The GP couldn’t really help apart from to say my ketones were high. The nurse was useful and said to keep doing corrections and wait. Finally I rang my Dad, partner in diabetes for 40 years who told me to carry on but walk round the block. Simple but it worked. Forced myself out feeling grim, but within half an hour I’d gone down to 7.1, and we all know the key to happiness is good blood sugars when we’ve tried so hard. Thanks everyone, thought I’d share this. In his words ‘We have lots of experts, but there’s nothing like someone who lives it every minute, even if it is your Dad.’

Great result, Connie, and I'm sure the fresh air helped too, in a freezing, but great to get home sort of way!