Type one and weight gain

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve gained around 2 1/2 stone in around 3 months.
I’ve been exercising and eating well, I did low carbs and when I’ve previously done this two years ago I lost a bit of weight.
I’ve done the 800 cal diet, and now I’m doing 16:8 fasting but I’ve not lost a pound.
I’m really strict with my food, I started couch to 5k which I’ve nearly done, I walk with daughter for at 45 mins a day.
Any advice please would be greatly appreciated.
I’m starting to think there is something wrong with me.
I’ve been type one for 16 years, and when ever I’ve “dieted” I’ve always lost weight.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve gained around 2 1/2 stone in around 3 months.
I’ve been exercising and eating well, I did low carbs and when I’ve previously done this two years ago I lost a bit of weight.
I’ve done the 800 cal diet, and now I’m doing 16:8 fasting but I’ve not lost a pound.
I’m really strict with my food, I started couch to 5k which I’ve nearly done, I walk with daughter for at 45 mins a day.
Any advice please would be greatly appreciated.
I’m starting to think there is something wrong with me.
I’ve been type one for 16 years, and when ever I’ve “dieted” I’ve always lost weight.

Hello there, Scarlet, that's very annoying. How are you feeling in yourself (aside from frustration with the weight gain)? When did you last have a decent broad spectrum panel of bloods done to include vitamins, minerals and hormone levels?

Your profile doesn't give us any clues to your age, which is absolutely fine, however, I'm wondering where you might be in terms of closing in on the menopause? Sincere apologies if you are in the prime of your reproductive years! When did you have your bloods done last?

I see you are currently doing 16:8 IF. Are you doing that along with a weight-loss regime, or is the restricted eating window the strategy for now?

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve gained weight doing low carb diet but it’s because I wanted to or needed to. To lose weight on low carb diet you probably need to be on a strict low carb diet (eg less than 30g a day) and also watch out for total calories. When I was not low carbing and on heigh carb low fat diet i also never had any weight problem. I’m thinking weight gain is linked to intake of both carbs and fat together.

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both for the reply’s.
I’m 37.
I think it’s about a year ago since I had liver, kidneys etc checked, but vitamins etc I think when I was pregnant with my daughter 3 years ago.
I’m doing 16:8 and also low carb, I’m going to stick with this for a while to see if I can lose some weight.
The frustration of not being able to lose any weight is annoying.