Is this dawn phenomenon?

Jessitalia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I’m fairly confident my morning rise is due to dawn phenomenon. Would taking my Tresiba at bed, rather than morning, be helpful? I think Tresiba has a fairly flat profile but I don’t know what else to do, since I hypo if I give myself 0.5 of a unit of humalog before bed. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 048DC11D-48C2-4741-8F2A-0AD85E1614B5.png
    048DC11D-48C2-4741-8F2A-0AD85E1614B5.png
    299.9 KB · Views: 275

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The only two ways I know of to deal with it are to wake up an hour before it starts and inject some fast insulin, or get a pump.

Reactions: Jessitalia

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I usually inject before i get out of bed because as soon as my feet touch the floor my sugars skyrocket!!!

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it’s dawn phenomenon changing your basal will not make a difference (believe me I tried this) mine was fairly bad may be different for some but I couldn’t take long acting at night as I’d hypo the entire night. It’s either give yourself a bolus or ask to be put forward for an insulin pump

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It wont tame DP but taking your dose before bed isn't a bad idea, as you're giving the dose time to get going and reach a decent strength......

The dawn phenomenon will basically begin to wind down once you break the fast and introduce fuel in to the stomach......so a morning tresiba dose wont even realistically get involved in the whole morning process...

meg66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I take 30 units of Treseba when I go to bed, around 20.00, this works realy well for Me, and keeps my BG, stable during the night. I work as a carer, so most mornings, up at 05.00, seems to work for me

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My preference is injecting nova rapid for my dawn phenomenon because increasing my basal insulin increases low blood sugars for the rest of my day whereas the fast acting is in and out for that one job

Jessitalia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all the informative advice! I did it and something has changed as there are lower 3am spikes. However, I am having 1-4 hypos a day so I’m guessing that’s probably the cause of lower overnight BGs. Also, I’ve started a new job and cycle 25 mins there and back, whereas before I was doing nothing, so that must be playing it’s part too.