New to insulin

LJE54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am on metformin, gliclazide and simvastatin now my DN wishes to start me on insulin. Is anyone else in this situation? Any advice would be welcome.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello LJE54 and welcome to the forum. A little bit more info about yourself would help with replies if you’re comfortable with doing so. Like how long you’ve been Type 2? Do you know what your HbA1c is? Have you tried any dietary measures to control your diabetes?

Edit for typo

LJE54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My hbaic is 72 and have been diabetic for five years. Dietary wise I have been trying low carb.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hbaic is 72 and have been diabetic for five years. Dietary wise I have been trying low carb.
I wonder if you could go lower carb first if you’re not keen to start insulin. You’d need to be cautious as you’re on Gliclazide which could lead your sugars to drop too low if you’re not careful. Could you tell us what you eat in a typical day? Do you have a meter?

Sattiva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am on metformin, gliclazide and simvastatin now my DN wishes to start me on insulin. Is anyone else in this situation? Any advice would be welcome.

I was in a similar position being T2 I was prescribed gliclazide unfortunately it didn't agree with me as shortly after taking it I was throwing the contents of my stomach up I was then sent to the over 25 diabetic nurses who gave me my pen injectors to take after every meal and snack was the best thing to happen to me within days I was starting to feel like my old self my energy levels returned and I started feeling better. I was then taken off the Metformin and haven't looked back since.
Have now been recatorigised as T1 and have now just started on Pump Therapy

Reactions: Bill166

LJE54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was in a similar position being T2 I was prescribed gliclazide unfortunately it didn't agree with me as shortly after taking it I was throwing the contents of my stomach up I was then sent to the over 25 diabetic nurses who gave me my pen injectors to take after every meal and snack was the best thing to happen to me within days I was starting to feel like my old self my energy levels returned and I started feeling better. I was then taken off the Metformin and haven't looked back since.
Have now been recatorigised as T1 and have now just started on Pump Therapy
I wonder if you could go lower carb first if you’re not keen to start insulin. You’d need to be cautious as you’re on Gliclazide which could lead your sugars to drop too low if you’re not careful. Could you tell us what you eat in a typical day? Do you have a meter?
I am going to try and go lower carb and see what happens. I have got the 8 week sugar diet book so looking at that to follow the recipes. I have a meter and my readings are up and down.

Reactions: Sattiva and Rachox