Weekly weigh in - Fridays

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quinn, if you weigh 52.6kg, and are already in the underweight category, why are you trying to go lower? In my view, there is nothing good can come out of driving yourself into an underweight scenario.

My maintained weight is right at the bottom of the healthy BMI range, and I ensure I keep it nudged above that line. I am actually 1.5kg below it - I usually drop a little weight in foreign climes - so am mainlining on crispy pork rinds. When I get home, I feel pretty sure, I'll settle at the 48.5-50kg point. I am 160cm tall.

Please, please rethink your strategy of striving to be underweight.
I am struggling at the moment very much with OCD, anxiety, depression and panic attacks. I have always been overweight, apart from a period in 2006 - 2007 where I was 67 - 63kg. I am 171 cm tall. I am seeking help, I have the support of my family, but it's very difficult at the moment. From the moment after I finish my morning porridge my mind screams at me to go for a walk, to burn those extra calories, screams at me knowing what damage uncontrolled type 2 diabetes can do, I am also dealing with asthma, chronic lymphedema in left leg, and bouts of agoraphobia. Honestly life is a struggle, I am on waiting lists to get things sorted, and I had pneumonia a month ago.

Reactions: Barb McD

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am struggling at the moment very much with OCD, anxiety, depression and panic attacks. I have always been overweight, apart from a period in 2006 - 2007 where I was 67 - 63kg. I am 171 cm tall. I am seeking help, I have the support of my family, but it's very difficult at the moment. From the moment after I finish my morning porridge my mind screams at me to go for a walk, to burn those extra calories, screams at me knowing what damage uncontrolled type 2 diabetes can do, I am also dealing with asthma, chronic lymphedema in left leg, and bouts of agoraphobia. Honestly life is a struggle, I am on waiting lists to get things sorted, and I had pneumonia a month ago.
Quinn, do not let this farmful situation get a hold. It is a slippery slope.

Barb McD

Feeling what you say Quinn, hearing you shout out and sending you support by the lorry load.

Take care of you, all of you

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Quinn1066 I currently have a family member struggling with similar issues. In her mind the link between food and exercise is well entrenched. She has now reached the point of being too ill and weak to do some daily tasks and has started a course of medication to help her mental state.
Please discuss this with your medical team. It is not a good place to be in.

Reactions: Barb McD

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This week scales hesitated at 46.9 then settled for 47kg. That's still a loss though and I have been eating loads, although remaining LC for HbA1C test last week. Good result on that. Down to 40. Wish they had done cholesterol test at same time.
@Ryhia I love nuts too, actually make a nut and seed granola. Almost no carb breakfast. Do have to be careful with portion size though.
@Quinn1066 That's the way i weigh too.
@Lotties Down a little is good. Keep going.
@Ryhia mostly I guesstimate carbs. But always look up carbs on ready meals and prepared foods as they can vary so widely from brand to brand.
How did you decide on your quota? Am always interested to know the reasoning behind the number.
Hi @SlimLizzy, I used to keep a food diary but that went by the board a long time ago. Usually just have either full fat greek yoghurt sometimes with nuts and seeds,for break or eggs. sometimes with bacon, very rarely with heck sausages. Lunch is some protein and either a salad or cauli or something, evening meal, meat and stir fry or above ground veg or I have a number of keto recipe books I use for things like curries or stews. Have my cream with sugar free jelly for dessert. If I decide to have berries, I wont have the veg carbs. I have never eaten any ready meals since Dx, do eat things like corned beef, salami etc but check the carb content before purchase. Above 5 for anything and it goes back on the shelf. My meter soon tells me if I have gone too high on the carbs.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
75.8kg this morning. Just under 1lb from last week.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hope you are winning your fight to healthy weight control. You sound like you are on a mission. I hope its not a self-destruct one. Of course you're not deliberately damaging your health willingly but whatever your belief its not correct.
Any type2 diabetic doesn't wish it's possibility of endangering your life on themselves. It's a side effect of this damaged metabolism disorder. Don't believe the rubbish that it's self inflicted and that we deserve its damage. Any health professional will never fully commit to procise cause of everyone's individual side effect. Carbs don't help but not always everyone's cause of their diabetes.
We all just concentrate on what diet helps or own, very own diabetes and medicate to heal it. To manage it to get the best outcome.... everyday. Mostly every hour.
Self medication in co-hoots with our care givers instructions will keep us safe. Some are slow in approving low carb eating to support our type2. I swear by it. Not as a full and only solution but a huge part of repair and good maintenance. Once you accept type2 and its flaws and our own then you're on a winner .... for life. Weight loss isn't the full medication we need to heal ourselves. Be kind to yourself. Always. That's a must.
Keep using your health giver to get where you need to get to. This forum can support too. Especially this thread. Keep posting. We are listening. ;)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Did weigh on Friday 05-03-2020
47.6kg.

@carty no change is better than going in the wrong direction. You are doing ok.
@Quinn1066 you are underweight and determined to lose more. This is not a healthy mindset. Please reconsider. Anxiety, Depression and Panic attacks will not be alleviated by losing more weight. There is a possibility they could get worse as you starve your brain of essential nutrients, making rational decision making more difficult.
Do sympathise and understand some of your feelings as I have similar issues but more or less under control, most of the time.
Wishing you well. Healthy and happy. Take note of small improvements.
EG. For me with frozen shoulder. My mobility increases incrementally. If I didn't look for improvement might not realise there has been any at all and give up on the remedial exercises, which are always uncomfortable and sometimes actually painful.
Wish I could offer you some magic cure for all your problems, but we both know that's not happening. You are stronger than you think and you can change if only by one thought at a time.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well it seems that after a birthday that turned into a birthday week as it were with more than one celebratory meal out including pub meals and a trip out to Zizzi's Italian restaurant I have managed to gain several pounds and am now back up to 75.5 Kg Oh dear will have to be very strict with my self from now on.

Still I enjoyed the week especially the visit to Zizzi's as it was the first time we had all been out for a meal together for a long while that is myself, and Judith and my daughter my son and my grandson for a longish time we never seemed to manage to all be in the same place at the same time.

Reactions: Ryhia

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Quinn1066 I feel I must say something here I agree with @SlimLizzy you must be careful how you go about weight loss and not take it too far .

After being on prednisolone for a long time I came to a point where I realised that I was diabetic and that the preds and my own natural inclinations had pushed my weight up to over eighteen stone.

I became obsessed with losing weight and getting control of my blood sugars so for getting on for over two years I ate no more than 40 - 50 grams of carbs per day and kept my calories down to about 600 or so a day a true starvation diet yes I lost over eight stone my sugars are much lower now but I in this process I did my self an awful lot of damage brought a lot of concern and distress to my wife and family and have not fully recovered and probably will never fully recover from the harm I caused myself both physical and mental

So I also would advise you to consult with your doctor about any further weight loss and any mental health problems you think may be caused by your need to lose weight easy to say I know but I wish I had taken more note of the opinions of my family and friends who thought I had gone way too far and whom I would at the time not listen to.

I wish you well and hope you are able pick your way through the rather difficult path you seem to be travelling.

Last edited:

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
75.5kg today - just over half a lb - Thats ok considering the Nandos feast i had yesterday!

2 weeks in american from Thursday so i suspect i may struggle to keep this going during that!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well it seems that after a birthday that turned into a birthday week as it were with more than one celebratory meal out including pub meals and a trip out to Zizzi's Italian restaurant I have managed to gain several pounds and am now back up to 75.5 Kg Oh dear will have to be very strict with my self from now on.

Still I enjoyed the week especially the visit to Zizzi's as it was the first time we had all been out for a meal together for a long while that is myself, and Judith and my daughter my son and my grandson for a longish time we never seemed to manage to all be in the same place at the same time.
Happy Birthday John @JohnEGreen

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
91.2 Kg for me. Not bad- lost a couple of kilos since I started, and I'm close to getting under the 200lbs mark, which is a milestone I'm really excited about. On the less positive side, I fell off the wagon a bit over the last few days, so I expect I've jiggered the next couple of week's progress. Still, lesson learned- hopefully.