What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of lamb about today - St David's Day or coincidence? Morning: TWAM and sweetener; almond milk latte. 2.30 ish Awfully posh pork scratchings and CWC . 4.00 pm : Couple spoonfuls kimchi (on offer and had a £5 John Lewis voucher) - first ever - 2 slices Mortadella (RTC); 6.30 ish: Will be Barnsley chop (another first) - hitchhiked sous vide oven with 48 hr brisket and finished off in frying pan (we couldn’t be ar bothered to get out air fryer) - in lemon, garlic and thyme + oil; asparagus, tenderstem broccoli in same pan; poached rhubarb - stretching that voucher - in Calvados which needed using and extra thick double cream. Not holding out great hopes of the lamb but think we picked a good source http://www.lahogue.co.uk/home-produced-lamb/ *so can't do much more. I miss h/g rhubarb already - flourished since my grandfather's time where we were.

*Not intended to advertise just point out thinking hard about provenance of lamb in the hope of me enjoying it.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sort of breakfast after a couple of coffees, finishing off little Tupperware pots of things in the fridge...2 strips chicken leftover from yesterday’s fajitas with a dollop of guacamole from same meal. 1/2 little gem lettuce with leftover Caesar salad dressing from a couple of days ago.
Main meal was slow roast lamb shoulder - same marinade ingredients as yours @Goonergal - garlic, lemon juice and rind, olive oil and thyme. Served with roast broccoli stalks ( spuds for them, I love the stalks roasted though) and buttered cabbage. Couple of glasses of Malbec, oh and a couple of glasses a Champagne earlier. Too much wine for keto really, but I forgive myself that, life is for living.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Will read everyone’s entries and catch up once I’ve recorded last few days or it may be even later! Busy days but at least water is now levelling in Bewdley before the next predicted rise on Tuesday - let’s hope that is the last rise / flood for this winter!
Saturday breakfast one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch lc veggie soup
Mid pm lc dd nut and seed bar
Dinner chicken curry with cauliflower rice and gin and soda followed by sf jelly and yoghurt with cream
Sunday breakfast one sausage and egg with half a toasted chaffle
Lunch lc veggie soup
Dinner roast chicken with roast celeriac, sausage, cauliflower cheese and asparagus with glass of dry white followed by sf jelly with yoghurt and cream may have square of 95% choc with coffee later - it’s a Sunday after all!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What I learned from tonight's meal by Ianpspurs (testing my allegiance Jose) aged 64 yrs and 8 months. Rhubarb poached in Calvados , with extra thick double cream, is a keeper - paying for rhubarb will be painful. Lamb, even from a top source and well butchered, was as tender as any we have ever eaten but confirms I only like shoulder of lamb. Done with Barnsley chops for this life. Once had saltmarsh lamb in Wales - big disappointment. Good decision to have the rhubarb as meal ended on a high note.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

Busy, busy, day.
One event to celebrate was finding the Lidl’s protein noodles people have been talking about.
Very pleased.
Did lots of stuff around the house and cooked a huge cauldron of cheesy mince (which was supper) and had bone broth/lc hc for brekkie. No lunch.
Also, executed a plan that I have been hatching for months.

bought 2 big packs of chicken legs (9 legs). Instant potted them. Blended the meat to a paste. Added cooked onion, raw garlic, chilli, paprika, black pepper, oregano and sage. Mixed thoroughly. Divided into 10 balls, and froze them.

so whenever we want chicken soup, all we need to do is grab a blob, defrost, place in big comforting soupy mug, add a kallo chicken stock cube, boiling water, and stir. A and voila! DIY instant chicken cuppasoup.

I am hoping this concept will elevate me to genius levels, but in reality, I need to actually taste the stuff before I start crowing too loud. Since the purpose is to provide cold/flu/corona universal Chicken Soup Cure to family and ourselves, i left the garlic raw for max oomph. May regret that... The blobs can all sitin the freezer waiting for the next virus that hits, whenever that will be.

Oh, and the 9 leg bones are back in the IP brothing as I type.

rather pleased with my day. :D

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

Busy, busy, day.
One event to celebrate was finding the Lidl’s protein noodles people have been talking about.
Very pleased.
Did lots of stuff around the house and cooked a huge cauldron of cheesy mince (which was supper) and had bone broth/lc hc for brekkie. No lunch.
Also, executed a plan that I have been hatching for months.

bought 2 big packs of chicken legs (9 legs). Instant potted them. Blended the meat to a paste. Added cooked onion, raw garlic, chilli, paprika, black pepper, oregano and sage. Mixed thoroughly. Divided into 10 balls, and froze them.

so whenever we want chicken soup, all we need to do is grab a blob, defrost, place in big comforting soupy mug, add a kallo chicken stock cube, boiling water, and stir. A and voila! DIY instant chicken cuppasoup.

I am hoping this concept will elevate me to genius levels, but in reality, I need to actually taste the stuff before I start crowing too loud. Since the purpose is to provide cold/flu/corona universal Chicken Soup Cure to family and ourselves, i left the garlic raw for max oomph. May regret that... The blobs can all sitin the freezer waiting for the next virus that hits, whenever that will be.

Oh, and the 9 leg bones are back in the IP brothing as I type.

rather pleased with my day. :D

Cracking idea!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: raspberry phd bar and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake :)

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.6 FBG 5.8. @shelley262 - glad to hear the Severn is starting to settle. Hopefully life can be returned to normal soon. @ziggy_w - here's the full recipe for the tuna melt. As @DJC3 said Oopsies keep really well and they freeze but separate with greaseproof sheets.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tuna-cheese-melt

No 1 grandson wants to get stronger so I pointed out to him that really working at swimming will improve his strength but he is too young for weights. I am letting him use my Aqua weights though but carefully selected exercises. It certainly got plenty effort at swimming lessons today.

B. Just TAG.
L. A BLT oopsie. Just used 1 slice as they are so big. Next batch I reckon I'll get 8 slices from the 3 eggs if it puffs up the same again.
D. A change of menu as Morrisons was doing 2 rib eye steaks and a bag of oven chips for £5. I expected the steaks to be tiny but they were fine. I didn't have chips though.
Mine was rib eye, mushroom, wilted spinach, pepper sauce and celeriac dauphinoise. Usual campari and soda.

mouseee

Went shopping for food and as the husband wasnt with me hurrying us through the shop, I managed to stop and look at things!

Aldi boxes of bean pasta which turns out could have been a very good buy! Also found some grain free granola to try, although not sure about that, but daughter will eat if I can't.

Breakfast - coffee

Lunch - cant actually remember.... but later had some seed bread from the diabetic weightless book. Nice with butter and cheese. Frozen slices ready.

Dinner - edamame bean pasta with pesto, mushrooms and parmesan.

Have eaten some other things, bits and pieces as it's been a nibbly kind of day. I still have to work on snacking as it's not gone away!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Thanks so much for the tuna melt recipe, @maglil55. Something I will definitely have to try soon. Yumm!
@Quinn1066 -- I don't remember whether I congratulated you on your great HbA1c result last week -- really, really well done.
@Brunneria -- The chicken soup starter sounds like a wonderful idea.

Today ...

Was very, very hungry early this morning and had about 80g of cheese.

Breakfast: Two double decaffinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two half DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A tiny piece of regular Sacher torte (about 5g).

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with homemade Caesar's dressing (didn't really have the right consistency this time, but still tastes good), shredded gouda and topped with about 100g of butter-fried mushrooms. Two chicken-meat Wiener sausages. Some dry red wine.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of lamb about today - St David's Day or coincidence? Morning: TWAM and sweetener; almond milk latte. 2.30 ish Awfully posh pork scratchings and CWC . 4.00 pm : Couple spoonfuls kimchi (on offer and had a £5 John Lewis voucher) - first ever - 2 slices Mortadella (RTC); 6.30 ish: Will be Barnsley chop (another first) - hitchhiked sous vide oven with 48 hr brisket and finished off in frying pan (we couldn’t be ar bothered to get out air fryer) - in lemon, garlic and thyme + oil; asparagus, tenderstem broccoli in same pan; poached rhubarb - stretching that voucher - in Calvados which needed using and extra thick double cream. Not holding out great hopes of the lamb but think we picked a good source http://www.lahogue.co.uk/home-produced-lamb/ *so can't do much more. I miss h/g rhubarb already - flourished since my grandfather's time where we were.

*Not intended to advertise just point out thinking hard about provenance of lamb in the hope of me enjoying it.

Get out the air fryer? Doesn't it live out somewhere, loud and proud? Ours has never been in a cupboard......

Can't you grow some rhubarb where you have moved to? Provided you contain it, it wouldn't take over Andrew of course those giant leaves can be quite dramatic when it's in full-flow. Allegedly, our crowns were split form something over 100 years old.

When I wanted to start growing it, I put a message on "Nextdoor" asking if anyone was splitting their crown that they think of me. Next thing there was a gentleman at my front door bearing a couple of very large buckets.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Get out the air fryer? Doesn't it live out somewhere, loud and proud? Ours has never been in a cupboard......

Can't you grow some rhubarb where you have moved to? Provided you contain it, it wouldn't take over Andrew of course those giant leaves can be quite dramatic when it's in full-flow. Allegedly, our crowns were split form something over 100 years old.

When I wanted to start growing it, I put a message on "Nextdoor" asking if anyone was splitting their crown that they think of me. Next thing there was a gentleman at my front door bearing a couple of very large buckets.
I know I should have split one of the areas of rhubarb when moving but forgot in the rush - suddenly had to speed everything up to suit the bottom of the chain. Spent last night looking at pillar fruit trees and raspberries. Many of my tools and the kitchen gadgets worked in a much bigger environment - kitchen and lounge, at least twice + as big, garden probably at least 10 times the area. Inside and out seems we need to rip out most of what was here and make things work and adjust the space needed for a pensioner and me (16 months off). Starts Tuesday inside and shrubs/trees? have/are being uprooted as No1 son and my back allow. Location here chosen to remove the need for a large garden - play area for grandchildren, local markets in walking distance and plenty of farms selling own produce. Hopefully, penultimate move and effectively admitting we are now pensioners and downsize in 2 goes - which is where kitchen tools come in.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 02/03/2020
Weird day, traveling, GP appointment.
Breakfast 6.15AM: 46g rolled oats, 57g fresh blueberries, 178g full fat yoghurt (finished container). 6 coffee one black, 5 white 120ml diary milk.

9.15 AM accidentally swallowed a peice of gum, so two sugar free redbulls, blue dinosaur protein bar just to make sure it didn't get stuck in my throat.

12.00 3 pieces sugar free fruit drops (double D brand)

3.16 PM white coffee, 20ml milk, 3 splenda tablets

4.00 PM instant white coffee 20ml milk, 3 splenda tablets

6.30 PM 148g red cabbage, 53g carrot, 100g baby spinach, 178g chicken breast grilled, 36g kalmata olives, mustard, salt, pepper

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I should have split one of the areas of rhubarb when moving but forgot in the rush - suddenly had to speed everything up to suit the bottom of the chain. Spent last night looking at pillar fruit trees and raspberries. Many of my tools and the kitchen gadgets worked in a much bigger environment - kitchen and lounge, at least twice + as big, garden probably 8 times the area. Inside and out seems we need to rip out most of what was here and make things work and adjust the space needed for a pensioner and me. Starts Tuesday inside and shrubs/trees? have being uprooted as No1 son and my back allow. Location here chosen to remove the need for a large garden - play area for grandchildren, local markets in walking distance and plenty of farms selling own produce. Hopefully, penultimate move and effectively admitting we are now pensioners and downsize in 2 goes - which is where kitchen tools come in.

Isn't it funny how there's loads of time for everything on the list, then the time is eaten up by other things?

Would your buyers accommodate you calling round with a spade or such like?

I know the gentleman who provided my crown was very, very keen to tell me the lumps' history within his family. When another person appealed similarly a year or so later, I was able to split mine - it seems to love its home, and pass it on, he contacted me, all very proud his crown was going far and wide (in our neighbourhood at least!).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it funny how there's loads of time for everything on the list, then the time is eaten up by other things?

Would your buyers accommodate you calling round with a spade or such like?

I know the gentleman who provided my crown was very, very keen to tell me the lumps' history within his family. When another person appealed similarly a year or so later, I was able to split mine - it seems to love its home, and pass it on, he contacted me, all very proud his crown was going far and wide (in our neighbourhood at least!).
I'm sure buyers would allow us to split some but I think it best just to leave that in the past. Effectively, this is the clean break I should have had after May 8th 2013. Looking back we should have moved to the Dordogne then but now 2 boys are here in Suffolk so here we are. Only moved 25 miles and dip in and out of Cambridgeshire most days but totally different vibe here. Love the thought of rhubarb donor being pleased - some of our old rhubarb crowns came from aunt''s house in France - there's an idea!

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Floods here on the rise again for the third week and counting - affecting roads, bridges etc with the peak sometime late tomorrow. Not predicted to go over barriers in town this time BUT still causing probs - can’t wait for it to go down properly. So looks like a few more complex days! Ended up needing to rearrange a booked medical appointment with oldest as would not have got there in time so hoping better on Thursday when we’ve got another replacement appointment.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg with half a toasted chaffle
Lunch veggie soup
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with halloumi chips and cauliflower cheese followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with spoon of yoghurt and cream.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea with almond milk and sweetener - non IF compliant.
1.30 ish: Veg antipasta - peppers and artichokes really (the old Arty chokes 2 for a pound joke anyone?), cheddar cheese and almond milk latte with cream + stevia 000
Evening - after beavers runs: Not brisket just yet - another day for that. Avocado and chicken salad with chia and flaxseeds. More poached rhubarb - Irish whiskey this time; forgot we had that mainly for tea/coffee/ and now poaching rhubarb + dollop of extra thick Lol (stet). The things we do for love - sorry Kevin (ok smart butts make the link with 2nd part of my dessert) . @shelley262 winner for menu but hug for stress of problems caused by flooding.

Last edited: