Blood numbers

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Can i ask why on wake up my blood 13.2 took 3 units of novorapid an hour later gone up to 13.7 had no food..???

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many of us have 'foot on the floor' effect, where your liver thinks it's being helpful and dumps glucose in our bloodstream upon getting out of bed to get us going for the day, could be that.

It can also be the second reading was the same as the first, 13.2 to 13.7 easily falls within the margin of accuracy for a glucose meter.

It may also be that it takes a bit more than an hour to see the effect of the Novorapid, I know it does for me.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can i ask why on wake up my blood 13.2 took 3 units of novorapid an hour later gone up to 13.7 had no food..???

Hi there, I have just completed a type 1 'course' and they did say not to be tempted to take another insulin dose if a correction hasn't worked 'immediately'. They said that a correction dose can take up to 4 hours to have an effect so to wait. If you take another dose before that '4 hours' it may have the opposite effect in that suddenly your levels will drop quickly forcing your body to dump glucose...and up it goes. You might be chasing your levels all day if you do that. I would say keep a close eye, maybe test every hour so you can see what it's doing and if there is no change after 4 or so hours, then assess again. As for the 'no food', well it looks like your levels have been stable albeit at 13 or so. That is a fasting level of course so it may be that your basal needs looking at. x

Last edited: