Diabetics R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So you're great grand mother was minus 15 years old when she passed, it does not equate right...
I have a very special family :hilarious:
I first wrote 1900 or 1901 because I wasn't sure, then asked my aunt and only adjusted the last 2 digits. Will rectify :)

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just found my great-grandmother on youtube! She was born in 1999 (edit: that should've read 1899 of course!) and died in 1984, and I loved her a lot although I was only around 7 when she passed away. She's the friendly old lady at 0:14 in the video :)

Cool! :) Is she the attractive woman in the hat? The playback paused itself the moment she appeared onscreen.

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now that looks like a lot of posts on Fakebook! :hilarious::hilarious:

Oddly, my wife & I message eachother on FB like modern day teenagers for a laugh..

HI, watcha doin? Nuffin.. Watcha doin." Nuffin. Which a wanna do? PS2 Netflix & nuffin.... Do U wanna do nuffin wiv me?

It's amazing how they manage with the ability they have to procreate.. ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooooooo definitely not! No comma.
We tend to abbreviate it to "He'd had that book before" , which is the more common usage, and is the same as "he had had that book before" but far more common.

I certainly agree. Just trying to help put a breath pause into the "had had" when used as a colloquialism regarding the spoken word regarding English as a second laguage? :)

I feel there will be a melting pot of foreign nationals use of & understanding of English in the future. Along with text talk & the sort of stuff you hear on "Urban grime" records? English is "evolving.." Virtually to the pont no one understands what's being used on the street now.. Though they gotta look cool so they nod to anything as the common laguage goes on a "detour."

A few years back I used to listen the Tim Westwood show on the radio on the way back from gigs.
He's the "big dog" don't you know.. (Or so they say.)
People used to phone in and talk like Stanly Unwin.
The "Big Dog" was stumped & replied in good faith with the generic "street" vernacular. :banghead: Lol, the listeners could have been phoning in to give him abuse for all he knew.. :p

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just found my great-grandmother on youtube! She was born in 1999 (edit: that should've read 1899 of course!) and died in 1984, and I loved her a lot although I was only around 7 when she passed away. She's the friendly old lady at 0:14 in the video :)

Hi,

My Dutch is dodgy, despite touring the region with a metal band for 16 years. Pro choice abortion rally in Amsterdam? Was this a protest regarding a change or review in the law back them?

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I believe in the Netherlands abortion was illegal unless done to save the mothers life, it was partially legalized in in 1981 and then fully legalized in about 1984. So I think the rally was about changing the law rather than reviewing.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

My Dutch is dodgy, despite touring the region with a metal band for 16 years. Pro choice abortion rally in Amsterdam? Was this a protest regarding a change or review in the law back them?
Yes, pro choice rally with the message abortion shouldn't be punishable by law any longer.
I didn't know the exact dates things changed (after all, I'm from '77 so I only have vague recollections of the pro choice and anti nucleair weapons rallies in the early 80's) but @JohnEGreen seems to have done his homework :)

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, pro choice rally with the message abortion souldn't be punishable by law any longer.
I didn't know the exact dates things changed (after all, I'm from '77 so I only have vague recollections of the pro choice and anti nucleair weapons rallies in the early 80's) but @JohnEGreen seems to have done his homework :)
My wife was doing Greenham common back in the early 80s.

That was a little before my time too. In the sense I was still at school. ;)

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife was doing Greenham common back in the early 80s.

That was a little before my time too. In the sense I was still at school. ;)
Haha, my parents met during a marathon protest against the Americans in Vietnam. The idea was to have people walking in front of the American consulate in Amsterdam with a big cross 24/7 for months. In winter. So my father lived in a Volkswagen van to do the walking when no-one else came.

Not my father in this picture but 3 politicians who took up the demonstrating for a couple of hours in the winter of '67.

upload_2020-3-1_17-52-3.jpeg

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No work for me today, not very well. Not sure what’s wrong really but my blood sugars are definitely taking a hit :(

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This was my birthday gift from Adrian a self portrait painted by himself.
Going to get it framed soon.

Ade self portrait.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oddly, my wife & I message eachother on FB like modern day teenagers for a laugh..

HI, watcha doin? Nuffin.. Watcha doin." Nuffin. Which a wanna do? PS2 Netflix & nuffin.... Do U wanna do nuffin wiv me?

I love that! :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thought I would share a poem that Ade affixed to a birthday card for me.

The Sycamore - Wendell Berry
Who was the first living writer to be inducted into the Kentucky Writers Hall of Fame.
In the place that is my own place, whose earth
I am shaped in and must bear, there is an old tree growing,
a great sycamore that is a wondrous healer of itself.
Fences have been tied to it, nails driven into it,
hacks and whittles cut in it, the lightning has burned it.
There is no year it has flourished in
that has not harmed it. There is a hollow in it
that is its death, though its living brims whitely
at the lip of the darkness and flows outward.
Over all its scars has come the seamless white
of the bark. It bears the gnarls of its history
healed over. It has risen to a strange perfection
in the warp and bending of its long growth.
It has gathered all accidents into its purpose.
It has become the intention and radiance of its dark fate.
It is a fact, sublime, mystical and unassailable.
In all the country there is no other like it.
I recognize in it a principle, an indwelling
the same as itself, and greater, that I would be ruled by.
I see that it stands in its place and feeds upon it,
and is fed upon, and is native, and maker.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I haven't had a bath since our boiler died so no one want's to get near me anyway;)

I was thinking of getting Judith to ask her auntie if we could stay with her in Calgary plenty of open space around there I believe.

Hotpepper20000

I haven't had a bath since our boiler died so no one want's to get near me anyway;)

I was thinking of getting Judith to ask her auntie if we could stay with her in Calgary plenty of open space around there I believe.
We are all shut down here. Only Canadian citizens and permanent residents are being allowed in the country. Only Four airports are nationally remain open after Sunday.
All Canadians abroad are being advised to come home.
All schools and events have been cancelled. Most offices are closed and employees are working from home were they can.
Thank goodness this isn’t in the dead of winter with -20C temperatures and we can still go out for walks.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Excellent idea!
I will meet y'all there. :D