Accu chek Combo verses Insight

KMCW

Hi
I have been using the Accu Chek Insight pump for 4 years, so now due it's to be changed. I have been very frustrated with the Insight handset, it is very slow, sometimes loses connection to the pump for no apparent reason, and on occasions it takes ages to get past the blue logo screen when I turn it on. I often feel that I haven't got time to wait for each option to load so tend to quick bolus for convenience, which defeats the object of having a pump.

Can tell me about their experiences with the Accu-chek Combo . If I have understood correctly, both the insight and combo offer almost the same features/options ect. I just want clarification that the handset/meter isn't going to take forever to use.

I was on the Medtronic Veo a few years ago, no bluetooth, but I liked it's simplicity.
I have been shown the Ypso pump, but I don't like the idea of needing 3 devices, those being pump, meter and phone.

Any advice and comments appreciated.
Thank you

RLMorgan

KMCW I've been on the Combo for 4 years now and basically it works well. The only fly in the ointment is that you have to fill the vial (reservoir) yourself rather than use a prefilled cartridge on the insight. It does lead to air bubbles in the vial and line, especially with a new bottle of insulin. The handset or PDM is relatively quick but has its own foibles as with all systems.
As it is time for me to change my pump, I was thinking of going onto the insight as it uses the prefilled cartridges and hopefully minimise air in the line.
I have a friend on the insight and she say's that she doesn't have any problems with her handset, and don't expect it to work like a phone.
She keeps it charged every day and seems ok with it.
Just as a footnote, My daughter has just timed me from inserting strip into PDM taking blood test, adding 80 grams of Carbs and for me to be able to press the deliver bolus took me 40 seconds. This is obviously a best case scenario.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had the Combo and the Insight, from what I remember the main difference is the Insight allows you to load multiple boluses or dual wave boluses on top of one another. No other pump does this as far as I know and I hardly ever used it (except for the odd curry or long meal). Combo handset is much faster to use but so much more unreliable (when batteries start to run out), sometimes even changing batteries does not work and your force to manually bolus from the pump.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I like my insight. It is slowish, but not too bad. If you hold finger on top button for at least 5secs (when on) it resets and speeds it up. I often do this process a couple of times and hold it down about 8secs, whilst it turns fully off.