• 452DF327-C56A-49DB-9FD4-B6619E076748.jpeg
    452DF327-C56A-49DB-9FD4-B6619E076748.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 833

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t tried this one, but have tried Godiva 90%, which is very nice, considering it’s dark chocolate. Sainsbury’s sell it. Mind you, I have to hide my chocolate though, otherwise my husband nicks it!!!

Reactions: tomrose

brooker

I watched an English program which I downloaded off the internet, about drug dealers in England, this one had been dealing drugs, at the top end, for 8 years and so far had not been caught.
His family did not know how he earned his income - he left every morning in a suit and with a briefcase and went and did what he did, returning after a "busy" day at work.
He was asked how he felt about providing a supply line of drugs to druggies and if he had any doubts about what he did.
He said, not for a moment, he provided a supply for druggies and he got rich on their misery, because if the drugs did not come from him then they would get them from someone else.
He said it was the same as chocolate suppliers. It was not illegal to sell chocolates to anyone who was a Diabetic, even if they died from the sugar overloads in their bodies, you never saw the producers of chocolates being charged for the deaths they caused and he was no different.
If people with Diabetes wanted to kill themselves by pigging out on chocolate, then what he was doing selling drugs was no different, it was simply a case of supply and demand and he was a supplier in drugs, just the same as chocolate makers were suppliers in chocolates.
The result was the same, the method different.
I found that to be an interesting argument.

Reactions: Paulm80

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I watched an English program which I downloaded off the internet, about drug dealers in England, this one had been dealing drugs, at the top end, for 8 years and so far had not been caught.
His family did not know how he earned his income - he left every morning in a suit and with a briefcase and went and did what he did, returning after a "busy" day at work.
He was asked how he felt about providing a supply line of drugs to druggies and if he had any doubts about what he did.
He said, not for a moment, he provided a supply for druggies and he got rich on their misery, because if the drugs did not come from him then they would get them from someone else.
He said it was the same as chocolate suppliers. It was not illegal to sell chocolates to anyone who was a Diabetic, even if they died from the sugar overloads in their bodies, you never saw the producers of chocolates being charged for the deaths they caused and he was no different.
If people with Diabetes wanted to kill themselves by pigging out on chocolate, then what he was doing selling drugs was no different, it was simply a case of supply and demand and he was a supplier in drugs, just the same as chocolate makers were suppliers in chocolates.

I’m thinking we were just told we can’t have something. Something like chocolate. Chocolate is a food, and not a drug. If we can carb count it then we can dose for it, and we can eat it. I’m not seeing a problem with eating food, especially if we know how to handle it.

Chocolate isn’t a drug.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chocolate isn't an illegal substance. You don't even have to be 21 to buy it.
But what kind of "logic" can we expect to hear from a drug dealer?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t tried this one, but have tried Godiva 90%, which is very nice, considering it’s dark chocolate. Sainsbury’s sell it. Mind you, I have to hide my chocolate though, otherwise my husband nicks it!!!
I tried the Godiva 90% on your recommendation and it is much less bitter than other 90% makes and at 14% carbs seemed ideal for those who like their chocolate a bit sweeter. However I noticed one of the ingredients is fructose, which might not be included in the carb count.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I quite like Co-Op Dark Chocolate with Raspberry not very dark and 2 squares is about 11g of carbs so have to be very sparing with it but it is I think very nice.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No spike at all, for me.
From Waitrose

I have tried it and it was absolutely disgusting - spit it out disgusting!! Unbelievably bitter. As a trick for chocolate scoffing husband, I left it lying around and he also spat it out. 90% is my limit it seems. In special at Waitrose at the moment though.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m thinking we were just told we can’t have something. Something like chocolate. Chocolate is a food, and not a drug. If we can carb count it then we can dose for it, and we can eat it. I’m not seeing a problem with eating food, especially if we know how to handle it.

Chocolate isn’t a drug.

But sweets of all kinds, and other carbs, can be addictive enough that some of us can't stop ourselves from eating them even when we know it's hurtIng us. The damage may not happen as acutely as it can with drugs but chronic ingestion still leads to health problems which may eventually take your life earlier than if we hadn't been eating them. In that way, they are a bit like drugs, don't you think? Not immediately dangerous, unless you are undiagnosed and don't realise. I know they are not the same as drugs but I feel they still have a certain power over us that an average vegetable would struggle to compete with. I've never daydreamed of eating broccoli:hilarious:

Reactions: Rylando88

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes and I am sure he also needs a way to sleep at night if he's not using his own wares.
There is an argument that neither chocolate nor drugs sales should be criminalised and that addiction should be much more medicalised than moralised over. The same probably applies to lots of chocolate lovers!
Could be useful to tax the hell out of chocolate so we with diabetic tendencies (most of the population) can put chocolate in its proper place as gorgeous treat rather than 'breakfast' as most of the school kids in my local shop seem to view it.
I am pretty libertarian until it comes to foods which are so cheap and available that people can indulge their carb addiction or take the government advice to eat tonnes of 'heathy wholegrains' , harm themselves then use taxpayers' money to pay for their resulting illness. That's a public harm and I don't think anyone truly has free choice when walking into their average food shop or petrol station and trying to NOT eyeball the endless chocolate, cakes etc. I would be happy for 'nanny' to help us all out here.

VivD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bigoted and selfish people, this Government, grey cold windy days
My fave dark choc - cheap too is Dr Oetker Extra dark supposedly for cooking 27g carb per 100g that is just over 5 carbs for 4 pieces. supposedly helpful with BP too! That a a glass of red wine are my more or less daily treats.

Reactions: Serena51 and cowbag

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
But sweets of all kinds, and other carbs, can be addictive enough that some of us can't stop ourselves from eating them even when we know it's hurtIng us. The damage may not happen as acutely as it can with drugs but chronic ingestion still leads to health problems which may eventually take your life earlier than if we hadn't been eating them. In that way, they are a bit like drugs, don't you think? Not immediately dangerous, unless you are undiagnosed and don't realise. I know they are not the same as drugs but I feel they still have a certain power over us that an average vegetable would struggle to compete with. I've never daydreamed of eating broccoli:hilarious:

You can’t accuse everyone of being bad. It’s not right. Someone can enjoy chocolate and not over-indulge in it.

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
85% from the co-op is not bad. But I only allow myself one square now and again.

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Chocolate isn’t a drug.
Unfortunately chocolate can be like a drug - and any other type of food - if you have binge eating disorder like I do. For that reason I can't do low carb because I end up going off on carb binges. I can't do any other diet either that drastically reduces consumption of particular food groups. I've tried every diet under the sun and I end up eating even more, putting weight back on and piling more on besides.