T1 and shift work.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just out of curiosity, any others working shifts? Do you tend to just flip daytime for night time and have a decent sized meal at horrible o’clock in the morning, or eat proper meals before you start and when you finish with just snacks, so that you’re only really eating in what passes for daylight hours? Still finding my feet with this.

Garetjax1212

Not type 1, only newly diagnosed type 2.

I work days one week and nights the next, on nights I tend to eat proper tea before work, breakfast when I get home and have a lunch type meal whilst at work.

Don’t know if that helps at all

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not type 1, only newly diagnosed type 2.

I work days one week and nights the next, on nights I tend to eat proper tea before work, breakfast when I get home and have a lunch type meal whilst at work.

Don’t know if that helps at all
I'm also T2 and work nights as part of my roster (not as frequently as you though). I do exactly the same eating arrangement as you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another type 2 here. I worked nights for 18 years before I retired, however not diabetic then. I always ate dinner in the evening before work with my family, breakfast at breakfast time before going to bed and snacks through my night shift.

D

Deleted member 308541

When I worked night shifts at the mines, I came home from work did any jobs that needed doing around home. I would then have something to eat. Some times I went for a beer with my work mates.

I used to be in bed by 2:00 pm and sleep through to 10:00 pm, get showered and changed for work have something to eat and drink. Then back at work by 11:30 pm. I would eat crib during the night sometime when it was convenient.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for your input guys, very interesting. I’m also wondering how fellow type ones fiddle with their insulin on a nightshift.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was a Police Officer and was type 1 for most of my 30 year service. I did not make any alterations to how I ate or had my insulin. I just carried on as normal and ate at the appropriate times depending on what shift I was working. The only factor I had to consider was not to have any insulin until after I has eaten in case I was called away to an urgent call before I had a chance to eat. I always carried my insulin and a snack somewhere in my uniform so as not to be caught out.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was a Police Officer and was type 1 for most of my 30 year service. I did not make any alterations to how I ate or had my insulin. I just carried on as normal and ate at the appropriate times depending on what shift I was working. The only factor I had to consider was not to have any insulin until after I has eaten in case I was called away to an urgent call before I had a chance to eat. I always carried my insulin and a snack somewhere in my uniform so as not to be caught out.
Thank you, this was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for :) As part of an ambulance crew, my shift is very unpredictable, like yours would have been. Up to now I've been eating a meal when we get a meal break (which could be at any point somewhere in the middle of the 12 hour shift), and like you I don't insulinate until after I've eaten just in case! I've also got plenty of dextrose tablets stashed in my many pockets :D

And on an ambo, if the manure really hit the windmill, I suppose I've got all the glucagon shots and IV glucose I would ever need... :hilarious:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@LooperCat I did shift work in my early 20s when I wasn't a "model" diabetic. It was continental shifts with a lot of overtime involved. Before I started the shift I would have my breakfast, then roughly 5 hours later dinner (packed lunch) the when I got home would have Tea. Basal was done at the same time every day. I have not a clue on how my bloods were at the time as BG meters had just come into fashion and the "guillotine" tool was what I was given to get the blood sample. Needless to say it was used much (oh how I wish I could turn back time!).