Diabetic, but only in the morning ?

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
My pre diabetes is escalating … but are these high fasting levels high enough to be diabetic does anyone know please?
It seems so. I was diagnosed due to high fasting FBG a couple of decades ago. I didn't get a HbA1c for several years after that. If your PreD is escalating Queenie then you'll get lots of support and help on here to try to halt that. Good luck on the journey. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for sweet potato - it is higher in carbs than ordinary and rockets my BG levels then keeps it high for hours - even into the next day.

Reactions: stuffedolive

Maleth

Watch out for sweet potato - it is higher in carbs than ordinary and rockets my BG levels then keeps it high for hours - even into the next day.
Hi Resurgam. I had sweet potato (with skin) twice these past 4 days with eggs and baby spinach. I went from 6.5 to to 5.6 1.5hrs after meal and 5.7 to 4.8 on another meal. Go figure. They say we are all different and we have to find out what works for us. One food that truly shocked me (and was told its good by my dr) was Oat meal :(((. Had some for Bfast (as i love Oats) and shot my glucose to 13.7. I was going to faint lol. That was higher then a generous piece of lemon cake I abused during Christmas time that spiked my glucose to 12. Oats is a definite no no for me.

Maleth

Great to hear its not just me. Your experience definitely sounds like my own. Today my FBG was 7.8 then dropped during the morning to 6.3 (after an hour's bike ride), then I had lunch (cheese, Ryvita, creamy dip, carrot). An hour later it was 5.8 and it stayed at 5.8 another hour later.
Very similar numbers

queenie 1957

Hi and welcome @queenie 1957
I'm glad you have taken the first step from reading to posting your first message. I would be interested to hear your HbA1c result when you have. Then you can make a decision (if necessary) on how you want to proceed.
It's good that you are testing already, and I wonder how that is viewed by your GP/ Diabetes Nurse?
Very positive really because they know I have been a carer myself for nearly 40 years , so I sort myself out health wise and I never go to GPs ,they write to me when BPs are due and just do my own for a week at a time and post them to them ,so pleased that im taking the time to test my own blood sugar readings … you could say without being rude im doing the job for them , So ive been this morning to have my HbA1c so have to wait now but don't know how long test results take to come back so will just wait and see now … it also helps because I live with a type1 and a type 2 so no goodies to be had here

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Resurgam. I had sweet potato (with skin) twice these past 4 days with eggs and baby spinach. I went from 6.5 to to 5.6 1.5hrs after meal and 5.7 to 4.8 on another meal. Go figure. They say we are all different and we have to find out what works for us. One food that truly shocked me (and was told its good by my dr) was Oat meal :(((. Had some for Bfast (as i love Oats) and shot my glucose to 13.7. I was going to faint lol. That was higher then a generous piece of lemon cake I abused during Christmas time that spiked my glucose to 12. Oats is a definite no no for me.
Your digestion must believe in the GI system - mine don't seem to have got the memo.....

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I am in sympathy with the "diabetic, but only in the morning" theme.
Whatever I do my BG rises from 06:00 to 12:00.
After that it drops quite dramatically.
I can eat things in the afternoon and evening without a major BG spike which would send me through the roof in the morning.
Exercise in the morning also tends so send my BG stratospheric.

Still trying to get to the bottom of it but OMAD at around 15:00 seems to be a promising strategy.

Edit: I had a private IR test with the fasting sample take in the morning. This showed low normal insulin production and some IR. I wonder what the result would have been if the sample had been taken in the afternoon?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
My morning numbers are always under 7 and usually 5.4 or 6.4 and like i say sometimes near 7. I have noticed that i can eat around 130 carbs a day and still get normal blood readings two hours after eating . I feel really well too .

I think your numbers are normal aren't they ?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
porridge used to spike me to 22 when first diagnosed , but i can eat a bowl half cup of oats for breakfast and two hours later i have sugar reading of 6.4 . Baffles me too . Now certain bread buns spike me but i don't often eat bread it just makes me hungry afterwards .
I can eat Asda double chocolate cookie and have normal sugar two hours later . I can also eat two cadbury twirls and test normal . How does that work lol ?

surdoux

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Idiots
porridge used to spike me to 22 when first diagnosed , but i can eat a bowl half cup of oats for breakfast and two hours later i have sugar reading of 6.4 . Baffles me too . Now certain bread buns spike me but i don't often eat bread it just makes me hungry afterwards .
I can eat Asda double chocolate cookie and have normal sugar two hours later . I can also eat two cadbury twirls and test normal . How does that work lol ?

I think you're an alien.