Large spikes hours after eating

anouser1

Hi all, I had my lunch today ( cheese sandwich, crisps and some chocolate after) and injected the usual amount, if not a little more than normal however I found my blood sugar 2 hours after eating to be 5.1. After 4 hours, it was 10.0! How can this be explained? I didn't eat anything in between this time and none of what I ate has a particularly slow release from what I understand? I'm proper confused

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm only a newbie, but I think fat is the explanation - cheese, crisps and the chocolate are all high/highish in fat - it retards the digestion of carbs/glucose, so your fast acting may have basically been used up by the time the carbs start to digest - result big spike hours later. Happens to me all the time - I'm really trying to sort it out myself.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What were you before you ate? If your post meal reading was lower than your pre meal reading then it's possible you dipped too low and rebounded if its something you don't usually have a problem with but it could really be any number of things, you can do things exactly the same as the previous day and still have variation in results as diabetes isn't predictable, unless a pattern forms then you'll just have to chalk it down as one of those things I'm afraid xx

anouser1

I'm only a newbie, but I think fat is the explanation - cheese, crisps and the chocolate are all high/highish in fat - it retards the digestion of carbs/glucose, so your fast acting may have basically been used up by the time the carbs start to digest - result big spike hours later. Happens to me all the time - I'm really trying to sort it out myself.
I do usually eat the same though and the jump is much smaller. What are you planning on doing to sort it? Reduce fat?
What were you before you ate? If your post meal reading was lower than your pre meal reading then it's possible you dipped too low and rebounded if its something you don't usually have a problem with but it could really be any number of things, you can do things exactly the same as the previous day and still have variation in results as diabetes isn't predictable, unless a pattern forms then you'll just have to chalk it down as one of those things I'm afraid xx
I was 5.6 so a small dip. Would you suggest that I maybe inject after eating then? I usually eat the same and don't jump as much, maybe by 1 or 2. I've notice the same does happen when i get a takeaway or something

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do usually eat the same though and the jump is much smaller. What are you planning on doing to sort it? Reduce fat?

I was 5.6 so a small dip. Would you suggest that I maybe inject after eating then? I usually eat the same and don't jump as much, maybe by 1 or 2
How far in advance before eating do you inject? How long have you been diagnosed? Do you use a Libre? Do you rotate sites? As I said there are so many variables I wouldn't instantly make adjustments unless it happens more than once xx

anouser1

How far in advance before eating do you inject? How long have you been diagnosed? Do you use a Libre? Do you rotate sites? As I said there are so many variables I wouldn't instantly make adjustments unless it happens more than once xx
Usually 10 mins before, around 5 weeks. Don't use a Libre and I do rotate sites. It might be one of those things, but I've noticed that after lunch I usually go up 2-3 which obviously isn't ideal!

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually 10 mins before, around 5 weeks. Don't use a Libre and I do rotate sites. It might be one of those things, but I've noticed that after lunch I usually go up 2-3 which obviously isn't ideal!
sounds like your insulin needs may be changing which is a common thing but as we cant advise on insulin doses I suggest you contact your team and discuss with them and get a plan of action from there xx

anouser1

sounds like your insulin needs may be changing which is a common thing but as we cant advise on insulin doses I suggest you contact your team and discuss with them and get a plan of action from there xx
Happened again. Went from 6.3 at lunch to 3.9 after 2 hours, up to 9.0 now. Really confused as this has never happened before especially given I'm not eating that much fat

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happened again. Went from 6.3 at lunch to 3.9 after 2 hours, up to 9.0 now. Really confused as this has never happened before especially given I'm not eating that much fat
with a drop 2 hours after eating an insulin would require reducing, whether that be your basal or your bolus you'll need to work out for yourself, I suggest a basal test xx

anouser1

with a drop 2 hours after eating an insulin would require reducing, whether that be your basal or your bolus you'll need to work out for yourself, I suggest a basal test xx
But I've sky rocketed since then? It's not even as if I'm eating pasta or pizza or something. It's just a sandwich and its making my blood sugar go all over the place....

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But I've sky rocketed since then? It's not even as if I'm eating pasta or pizza or something. It's just a sandwich and its making my blood sugar go all over the place....
if you dip too low (which you did) than a perfectly natural response for the body is to rebound, unless you perform testing for yourself you'll never know what adjustments need made, diabetes is so individual nobody can tell you what is happening unless you test for yourself xx

anouser1

if you dip too low (which you did) than a perfectly natural response for the body is to rebound, unless you perform testing for yourself you'll never know what adjustments need made, diabetes is so individual nobody can tell you what is happening unless you test for yourself xx
This is probably true. Given what happened last couple of days before this where sugars raised slightly I did eat a tiny bit less to ensure that I wouldn't go too high. Might be the cause! Thanks for the help. Will eat more for the same for the same bolus next couple of days and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help!