Graphic Content Epic bleeding from Cannula site anyone had this?

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This evening the dog sat on my knee as per usual, got up and walked to another room and my son shouted there was blood on the floor, looked down and saw blood on my jumper. On closer inspection blood had soaked through my underwear and leggings! Dog must have knocked it out slightly but no pain or anything. Has this bleeding ever happened to anyone?

Attachments

• 2C50BDD8-1168-42A9-B271-E6DCD88E61FB.jpeg
    2C50BDD8-1168-42A9-B271-E6DCD88E61FB.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 795

MarkP

Hi,

Yes, once in a while (like maybe once a year) when I take out the canula blood will pour out. Never any pain and no adverse consequences. I assume just a bit too deep or nicking a bigger blood vessel.

Bit of toilet paper compressed on it for a few min is the end of it.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yep! I've taken out an Omnipod a few times and blood starts pouring out, enough to soak my underwear and run down my leg. No pain and pressure on it with some tissue for a few minutes and it stops.

Reactions: Nometype1andproud

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
The dog has accidentally caught my tubing many times. I think the worst one was when I had already extra taped the cannula down. The tape held, and the needle was dragged partly sideways until it was out, about an inch long incision. It took most of a tea towel to mop that up, but believe me, I felt it happening.

Sometimes I get bleeding on taking the cannula out, but I clot really quickly, so it's never near that much.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, this happened to me last week, first time in 7years of pumping. I hit a small capillary artery or blood vessel taking out the set. The blood was squirting out horizontally. It took a few minutes applying pressure to stop it!

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
When I peel an infusion set off, I like to be near paper towels just-in-case.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had this happen once, new set in and blood was coming up the line. Pulled it out and it gushed so much blood, Thankfully had a paper towel handy! Sometimes it can happen, you hit the wrong spot and that can be it, nothing to worry about really.

faustus67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been on a pump 32 years now (whoah!). It happens a couple times a year - sometimes I can tell it will happen, when the insertion site hurts a certain way. Sometimes I think it influences insulin absorption as well, as my bs’s can run a bit higher than normal.

Reactions: porl69

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, this happened to me last week, first time in 7years of pumping. I hit a small capillary artery or blood vessel taking out the set. The blood was squirting out horizontally. It took a few minutes applying pressure to stop it!

Yes it's happened to me a few times lately, mainly i think because after so many years pumping I have trouble finding a good site. Being on blood thinners makes it hard to stop the blood flow and huge wads of tissue.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
It’s amazing sometimes when these little tiny holes explode like blood volcanos. It’s a concern especially when wearing white! When we peel off an infusion set sticker into important to have something close by that can be grabbed quickly to absorb the mess.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I've had this once. It just kept bleeding and bleeding!