BG going up

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I havent posted on here in ages as hubby has been fine and doing really well. His last Hba1c was 40. He was diagnosed over ten years ago and is still diet controlled, no meds. But in the last week his meter readings have been going up and up. Today 2 hours after eating he was 9.1. This has never been so high since he was diagosed. Anybody got any ideas what we should do or what it could be?

mouseee

Its important to know what it was before and what he ate.
Its not excessively high although worrying if its higher than normal. Did any carbs sneak into dinner?

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
He only tests first thing in the morning, and it used to be in the low 6s, now every morning it's high 7s.
He eats very low carb, and dinner was chicken salad, then Greek yoghurt.

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wondering if he needs to see the doc?
There might have been a change in how the greek yoghurt is made, so check out the carbs in that

Second would be then to perhaps tweak insulin, I don't know about that one, some people have complete freedom to change dosages

But book doctor's anyway, might need a check up.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@fumanchu - if this started suddenly, did it start when he opened a new pot of test strips? Sometimes a pot or batch can vary a bit.

In his shoes, I would be interested to test with strips from another pot, but even better a different batch of strips to see if it is consistent.

Secondly, could he be coming down with something, or carrying an infection or virus? That, plus lack of sleep, stress are just a few of the things that can knock the blood glucose readings out of whack for a while.

Is there anything else going on in his life?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
go see the doctor, he probably will inject insulin to stabilize. that number is high
Uh, no, it's not... It's a tiny bit over 8,5, they're not going to give someone insulin over that.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I havent posted on here in ages as hubby has been fine and doing really well. His last Hba1c was 40. He was diagnosed over ten years ago and is still diet controlled, no meds. But in the last week his meter readings have been going up and up. Today 2 hours after eating he was 9.1. This has never been so high since he was diagosed. Anybody got any ideas what we should do or what it could be?
Silly question maybe, but how old is the meter? Sometimes they get a little unreliable with age. (Assuming you guys have by now checked the strips.). Might be time to check before his meals and two hours after the first bite, on an average day. See what his numbers get up to and how big the discrepancy is. Then, if required, go to the GP and discuss those results.

Have to add, usually my blood sugars know I have a cold a day or two before I do. And I've seen nines crop up after steroid injections in my shoulder. Statins raise 'em too. If anything changed in seemingly non-related area's, that could well be it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
go see the doctor, he probably will inject insulin to stabilize. that number is high

Absolutely not true. 9 is not high enough for a Dr to immediately give insulin, especially if it is a random number. Where did you glean that information as a matter of interest?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Can you give us a little more information about yourself - are you t1 or t2 ? What medication are you taking ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

A doctor would not inject insulin based on that reading - this is misleading.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be a cold or wee infection, he is feeling very tired. Thanks everybody, I think I'll send him to the doc for a check.