Type 1 and spa treatments

mandedog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to a spa for the first time since diagnosis . I love the spa but am concerned that this could affect my blood sugars. Are there some treatments I should avoid? I use Freestyle Libre and wondering if I should cover it while in the pool or sauna?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The Libre can take some water submersion
"a) Yes. Sensors can be worn while bathing, showering or swimming. Don’t take sensors deeper than 3 feet or for longer than 30 minutes. b) No. The FreeStyle Libre 14 day system has not been tested in sea water."

Hot showers can make my BG level shoot up, even mildy warm ones can. But most people hot water makes their BG's drop. So be aware of BG changes that might occur.

Also some spas don't want diabetics using the heated waters or saunas at all and in fact have warning signs up about don't use if you are diabetic.

mandedog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"a) Yes. Sensors can be worn while bathing, showering or swimming. Don’t take sensors deeper than 3 feet or for longer than 30 minutes. b) No. The FreeStyle Libre 14 day system has not been tested in sea water."

Hot showers can make my BG level shoot up, even mildy warm ones can. But most people hot water makes their BG's drop. So be aware of BG changes that might occur.

Also some spas don't want diabetics using the heated waters or saunas at all and in fact have warning signs up about don't use if you are diabetic.
Thanks- good information. I was told that usually applies to PWD who have cardiac issues and that they are just being over cautious and covering themselves.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hot shower can make my levels nose dive, never been in a sauna since taking insulin though. I probably never will knowing what happens with showers.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to a spa for the first time since diagnosis . I love the spa but am concerned that this could affect my blood sugars. Are there some treatments I should avoid? I use Freestyle Libre and wondering if I should cover it while in the pool or sauna?

Hi,

I've done saunas & the odd spa treatment. The heat can increase my insulin sensitivity? (& reported with some others to.)
So make sure you have treatment nearby. Preferably in the for of liquid. Check BGs regularly.

I do wear a Libre. But haven't done a session wearing one. However, I've never lost one to date! If fixed properly? It should stay put.
Be wary of robe sleeves pulling at it as you cover up between sections of the spa? I usually place mine inside the upper arm.

Have a lovely relaxing time.!

Reactions: Marie 2

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive done spas and saunas ... kept them to a limit of 10 mins .. never had a prob but thats just me. Like everything in T1 world .... moderation and check the posters about diabetics not using the spas cover them in the advent of a untoward experience ! It doesnt stop me but i limit my time in there .

Jacqui T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Loud noise, bad manners, cruelty to any being, large crowds
I've been T1 for 25 years and have found that almost any type of massage drops my BG. Not sure if it is because injected insulin trapped in tissue is released or that the muscles are being worked = exercise = drop in BG. Hot tubs and saunas have the same effect. So maybe have glucose handy and check your readings often if you are doing any of those things.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My best advice is be extremely careful if getting a pedicure. Little nicks and cuts happen frequently and can lead to infection and further complications.

VivD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bigoted and selfish people, this Government, grey cold windy days
Didn't know any of this! But possibly explains why I felt desperately tired after my hot bath (extra hot with salts to relax leg muscles) It was mid evening so I just lay down and slept. Remember way back it going really low after a swim session - but could have been the sauna I guess. thanks folk.

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors

Isn't it is really curious how hot water affects our BG differently; I am (now) unmedicated lifestyle/diet controlled type 2 but have had some big spikes after baths in the past.... I have always preferred a cold swim than a very hot shower or bath but never used a sauna/spa so no experience to share there but maybe some of us are more cold stimulated than heat and that determines the BG spike or dip. Only the owner of the body will know???

Reactions: Marie 2

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Libre gets roughly 45 minutes a time in the pool and will stand that 6 times a fortnight with a tegaderm patch over it, I've only had the one sauna, the hotel I stayed in in Amsterdam had one and it didn't fall off and I was in a fair while, but again I always wear the Tegaderm patch on it.

Reactions: Marie 2 and porl69