Well that was an interesting week

Garetjax1212

Hi

Newly diagnosed as diabetic, type 2 score of 63 on my hba1c.

Same time I found out I had hypertension, suspected for a while but newly confirmed.

Also found out I had high cholesterol

Then found out I have a borderline under active thyroid

Then referred to hospital by opticians

Sometimes I wonder if I’d have been better off not knowing

Any way onwards and upwards.

Low carb diet has shifted 10lbs in 10 days and I see the diabetic nurse for first time on the 9th.

Anyway hello everyone, nice to meet you all

Barry

Reactions: Jollymon

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Garetjax1212, that certainly sounds like an eventful week! Had it been a while since you'd had blood tests done previously or did something happen to trigger those tests being needed? I'm sure lots of type 2s will be along soon (or maybe in the morning!) to welcome you and share useful information :)

Garetjax1212

I’d been diagnosed as pre diabetes a couple of years before after complaining of tiredness. Followed the blood sugar diet for a bit and thought I’d kicked it.
Obviously I was wrong as a follow up blood test two years later has diagnosed me as fully diabetic and now I’m taking my diet much more seriously than I was.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d been diagnosed as pre diabetes a couple of years before after complaining of tiredness. Followed the blood sugar diet for a bit and thought I’d kicked it.
Obviously I was wrong as a follow up blood test two years later has diagnosed me as fully diabetic and now I’m taking my diet much more seriously than I was.

Hi GaretJax - Welcome to the forum, and well done of striving to improve your health.

What are your team doing about your thyroid situation, because that can make you feel very tired and knock your metabolism for six.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Newly diagnosed as diabetic, type 2 score of 63 on my hba1c.

Same time I found out I had hypertension, suspected for a while but newly confirmed.

Also found out I had high cholesterol

Then found out I have a borderline under active thyroid

Then referred to hospital by opticians

Sometimes I wonder if I’d have been better off not knowing

Any way onwards and upwards.

Low carb diet has shifted 10lbs in 10 days and I see the diabetic nurse for first time on the 9th.

Anyway hello everyone, nice to meet you all

Barry
If you'd not known, you couldn't do anything about it. Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, they're all part of Metabolic Syndrome (Often together with morbid obesity, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease). If you get your blood sugars back down, your hypertension and high cholesterol are likely to come down as your blood sugars do. They're all connected, so if you do change your diet again, you'll likely notice improvements in the other areas too. (My blood pressure was normal, now it's low, but the morbid obesity, high cholesterol, NAFLD and high lood sugars all normalised.). Do take care of that thyroid, because it can affect your blood sugars as well.

Had you be better off not knowing? I think you'll be able to answer that yourself when you feel one heck of a lot better 6 months from now. I know I got my quality of life back.... Same will be true for you.

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- might help a little. :)
Good luck,
Jo

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You're better off knowing: no doubt about it.
I had pain in my hands and feet, and thought I had tongue cancer because my tongue used to split and bleed when I was sleeping.
If I'd known earlier, I could have headed it off at the pass. Your weight-loss bodes well: you seem like a sharp guy who can get this under control before it gets complicated: good luck to you!

Garetjax1212

Hi GaretJax - Welcome to the forum, and well done of striving to improve your health.

What are your team doing about your thyroid situation, because that can make you feel very tired and knock your metabolism for six.

Hi

Thyroid being checked again at my next blood tests in 3 months. So we’ll see after that.

Working 12hr shifts it doesn’t take much to knock my get up and go, always knackered

Garetjax1212

Your weight-loss bodes well: you seem like a sharp guy who can get this under control before it gets complicated: good luck to you!

Hi

Thanks, much appreciated

Never really much of a forumite, usually just a lurker, however think the forum interaction will be a massive benefit in this ongoing marathon

Jacqui T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Loud noise, bad manners, cruelty to any being, large crowds
It is always really stressful when a whole lot of diagnoses are thrown your way. But you got this! I have had low thyroid for 28 years, T1 diabetic for 25 and Sjogren's Syndrome (another weird auto immune disease) for 6 years. Knowing what you have going on arms you with ability to manage your conditions and change your life. Wishing you the best.