COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly, thanks for all the informative stuff folk are posting.
One thing that has occurred is the risk to all those people who are undiagnosed diabetics. I've read 1/2 million but I suspect it may be more.
The vast majority of us diagnosed, at least on here, are conscientious about our health and I suggest are giving ourselves the best chance of fighting anything we might catch, as Stuart says above.
Anyhow, best of luck.
Despite some research l haven't been able to find out why the virus might be of particular threat to diabetics in general. Type 1 is an autoimmune condition which might have a bearing and obviously anyone already suffering ill health from complications are in a more vulnerable situation, but are diabetics really a special case? Infections are known to raise blood glucose but the complications that causes are long term not the 2 weeks or so that COVID-19 lasts. I imagine that it would be more difficult for Type1's and others trying to control their bg with medication but the category is just "diabetics" with no qualification.

Reactions: DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Despite some research l haven't been able to find out why the virus might be of particular threat to diabetics in general. Type 1 is an autoimmune condition which might have a bearing and obviously anyone already suffering ill health from complications are in a more vulnerable situation, but are diabetics really a special case? Infections are known to raise blood glucose but the complications that causes are long term not the 2 weeks or so that COVID-19 lasts. I imagine that it would be more difficult for Type1's and others trying to control their bg with medication but the category is just "diabetics" with no qualification.
mmh..curious..agree it's bacteria we love the most, would it be to do with the impairment of the panceas and the beta cells i hear of..?

but you are right, it is pretty unspecific, considering we treat both so differently (in many cases )

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
  1. Posted at 16:0616:06
    Total number of UK virus cases 115
    The total number of UK coronavirus cases has now risen to 115 - an increase of 30 on yesterday - the UK's Department of Health and Social Care has said.

As of 09:00 GMT on 5 March, a total of 18,083 people have been tested in the UK, of which 17,968 were confirmed negative, it added.

Article share tools
      • Copy this link
  2. Posted at 16:0416:04

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
  1. Posted at 16:0616:06
    Total number of UK virus cases 115
    The total number of UK coronavirus cases has now risen to 115 - an increase of 30 on yesterday - the UK's Department of Health and Social Care has said.

As of 09:00 GMT on 5 March, a total of 18,083 people have been tested in the UK, of which 17,968 were confirmed negative, it added.

Article share tools
      • Copy this link
  2. Posted at 16:0416:04
13:44
China posthumously honours whistleblower doctor
913c0b7e-a60e-4b08-9490-2398a4c3cdfb.png

BBC Monitoring

The world through its media

AFPCopyright: AFP
Dr Li Wenliang had tried to raise the alarm about the coronavirus outbreakImage caption: Dr Li Wenliang had tried to raise the alarm about the coronavirus outbreak
Chinese authorities have posthumously honoured whistleblower Dr Li Wenliang, who had tried to give advance warning about the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, but was reprimanded by local police.

Dr Li is among 34 frontline medical staff posthumously honoured by China’s top health and human resources authorities, state newspaper Global Times reports.

The Chinese government came under intense criticism on social media following Dr Li’s death due to the coronavirus infection last month, with many demanding an apology from local authorities.

Article share tools

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Recent update :
  1. Posted at 16:3716:37
    'This is not a drill'
    AFPCopyright: AFP
    Dr Tedros warned countries that "this is not a time for excuses"Image caption: Dr Tedros warned countries that "this is not a time for excuses"
    In today's coronavirus briefing, World Health Organization head Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said countries needed to take an "all-government approach" to the virus, and not leave the response to their health ministries.

"This epidemic can be pushed back but only with a collective, co-ordinated and comprehensive approach that engages the entire machinery of government," he said.

"We're calling on every country to act with speed, scale and clear-minded determination."

He warned that countries needed to take the outbreak seriously, adding: "This is not a drill. This is not the time to give up. This is not a time for excuses. This is the time for pulling out all the stops.

"Countries have been planning for scenarios like this for decades. Now is the time to act on those plans."

Article share tools
  2. Posted at 16:3516:35

Reactions: jjraak and Bill_St

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's high or fluctuating glucose levels depressing the immune system and letting it take hold that I think is the issue.

When I get a cold it's a struggle to get my levels out of the teens and I've likely got some inbuilt immunity to most cold viruses.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know what the rate of mortalities is among diabetics with seasonal flu in recent years?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Does anyone know what the rate of mortalities is among diabetics with seasonal flu in recent years?

How many people have died from the flu in 2019?
So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.22 Feb 2020

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi @PenguinMum .

While I understand the question itself. is diebetics / flu mortality rates

I would caution that the figures, may offer a misleading picture.
if being used to compare to covid-19

The spread of flu is already worldwide
It's an established illness/ disease/ virus that the world is aware of and has some front line defences and protocols for.
and for Covid -19 we have nothing to treat or prevent

For covid-19, what figures would compare. ?
It hasn't run a full year, around 3 months in china, barely 6 weeks in europe
not embedded in every corner of the globe.
and to date no one has confirmed it is seasonal

on jan 31 the uk got it's first case

Where the FLU has a great track record, the New kid on the Block is barely out of the traps and has really only got decent form in China and even that is more specifically Hubei province, with Wuhan providing most of the impetus for the death rate.

A portion of one continent,
No Russia, India, or the Americas, Europe, Oceania OR Africa for example

And all under the auspices of what to many is a dictatorial regime, where they have, according to many, performed practices many other world governments would not get away with.

Are we ready to tackle it like china..NO
do we have to....?..Million dollar question at the moment.

Reactions: Debandez
D

Deleted member 308541

Fifteen emergency department staff from Brisbane's Mater Hospital are in home quarantine after treating a university student who later tested positive for the virus.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...ities-checking-coronavirus-readiness/12031844

Two more items have been crossed of my online grocery shopping order, normal blow ya snout tissues and paper towels have sold out.

Full email form Woolies CEO mentioned by the ABC.

UM7QPhnCcgOz_Q_T6M5Op7FSmcvzviXShINMxoPdcidOoWQ9z5keENZ72oP8wWBig6cYY5WAWmLdgf5BzpX_kjz4zUoI92i_91rvnHgFXCaRe1uTBPpxrny6Ub0WBgwlg0m8cboPhZFht88X9PDLdDx9-bez0ANcTFfkBdxNXwMGGg=s0-d-e1-ft

An important update on toilet paper and other essential items

Dear <<<insert name>>>,

I’d like to update you on the shortages we’re seeing in toilet paper and other essential items.

As you may have read, or seen for yourself, these are unusual and challenging times. We know it can be frustrating when we don’t have the products you need, or when delivery or Pick up windows are filled more than usual.

We’re working very closely with our suppliers to get products onto shelves as quickly as we can. The makers of Kleenex, Sorbent, Quilton and Woolworths own range of toilet paper have all increased their production to meet this very unusual demand.

For example, the makers of Kleenex are now manufacturing 24 hours, 7 days a week at their Millicent, SA factory, as are Sorbent in their NSW and Victorian facilities. And the makers of Quilton have tripled their normal production across their factories in Queensland, NSW and WA.

It’s worth noting that the vast majority of products aren’t affected and most stores aren’t seeing significant shortages. But to make sure everyone has access to essential items, we’ve introduced some common-sense limits to a few products.

We’ve limited toilet paper to 4 packs per transaction and large packs of rice (2kg and over) to 1 per transaction.

Where available, hand sanitiser is now at the Customer Service Desk and limited to 2 per transaction.

We’re constantly monitoring the situation and will do our best to keep all products freely available to everyone.

However, if we see new shortages, we may introduce other limits. We’ll only do this if we think it’s absolutely necessary and to help make sure all customers can access the products they need.

We’ll keep you updated in our stores and on our website as things change.

Our team members are doing the very best they can, so please support them, and each other.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this together.

Brad Banducci

CEO Woolworths Group

lindisfel

Expert
All flus are different and corona viruses are different, making comparison with flu not helpful.
Don't lets get panicky or delude ourselves, it's not a piece of cake for the sick and elderly!

It concerns me the death rate appears to be circa 2or 3% but the deaths may be amongst a vast number who have it superficially and don't know.

The only way to assess the death rate is to test a population sample and see how many have the virus in a given number.
If not many had it and deaths were rising it would look ominous, or if there were found a number of previously undisclosed cases and few later serious ones, it would look promising for a lower death rate.

It's no good extrapolating from too little information.
D.

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I woke up with a mild sore throat and slightly elevated temperature Sunday morning. I immediately began taking vitamin C throughout the day. I use sodium ascorbate in a chrystallline powder form. A quarter teaspoon is equal to 1112 mg of vitamin C. It's easy to use, I just measure, add it to a shot glass with an ounce of water, stir, and drink it down. If any remains, I just repeat with a more water. I don't taste it when I drink it but out of curiosity, I tasted it. Tastes like salt. One of the reasons I chose this vitamin C is because it's not acidic, which is important for me due to my ulcerative colitis.

I'm currently taking 1,112 mg six or so times throughout the day, along with my regular vitamins.

This is Day 5. Still have a mild sore throat and slightly elevated temperature, but it hasn't worsened. This has never happened to me before. Typically swallowing is painful and I'm miserable for days. I have no idea what I have. The nasal drip only lasted a few days. I'm mostly just hanging out on the computer, eating regular meals, and trying to get all the sleep I need each night.

Here's more information on vitamin C and a few reports on it's use for COVID-19 in China that I learned about this morning through Andrew Saul, a long time advocate of vitamin C. I hope you find it helpful...

Vitamin C Saves Wuhan Family from COVID-19 by Richard Cheng, M.D., Ph.D.
http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n17.shtml

There are more links to articles and videos in the above link. And here's more information about Dr. Cheng... http://www.drwlc.com/dr-richard-cheng.shtml

At the end of this article Andrew Saul lists the nutrients he suggests taking with the vitamin C. Many of which you're likely already taking - (magnesium, D3, zinc, selenium, B-complex, and A)...
Nutritional Treatment of Coronavirus by Andrew W. Saul, Editor
http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n06.shtml

Here's an excerpt from the above linked article on vitamin C and dosage...

What dosage?
Vitamin C fights all types of viruses. Although the dose should truly be high, even a low supplemental amount of vitamin C saves lives. This is very important for those with low incomes and few treatment options. For example, in one well-controlled, randomized study, just 200 mg/day vitamin C given to the elderly resulted in improvement in respiratory symptoms in the most severely ill, hospitalized patients. And there were 80% fewer deaths in the vitamin C group. [7]

But to best build up our immune systems, we need to employ large, orthomolecular doses of several vital nutrients. The physicians on the Orthomolecular Medicine News Service review board specifically recommend at least 3,000 milligrams (or more) of vitamin C daily, in divided doses. Vitamin C empowers the immune system and can directly denature many viruses. It can be taken as ascorbic acid (which is sour like vinegar), either in capsules or as crystals dissolved in water or juice. It can also be taken as sodium ascorbate, which is non-acidic. To be most effective, it should be taken to bowel tolerance. This means taking high doses several (or many) times each day. See the references below for more information.

Last edited:
Reactions: kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a registered trial for high dose Vitamin C treatment 140 participants...
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04264533
upload_2020-3-6_14-26-8.png

There are more links to articles and videos in the above link. And here's more information about Dr. Cheng... http://www.drwlc.com/dr-richard-cheng.shtml

At the end of this article Andrew Saul lists the nutrients he suggests taking with the vitamin C. Many of which you're likely already taking - (magnesium, D3, zinc, selenium, B-complex, and A)...

What dosage?
Vitamin C fights all types of viruses. Although the dose should truly be high, even a low supplemental amount of vitamin C saves lives. This is very important for those with low incomes and few treatment options. For example, in one well-controlled, randomized study, just 200 mg/day vitamin C given to the elderly resulted in improvement in respiratory symptoms in the most severely ill, hospitalized patients. And there were 80% fewer deaths in the vitamin C group. [7]

But to best build up our immune systems, we need to employ large, orthomolecular doses of several vital nutrients. The physicians on the Orthomolecular Medicine News Service review board specifically recommend at least 3,000 milligrams (or more) of vitamin C daily, in divided doses. Vitamin C empowers the immune system and can directly denature many viruses. It can be taken as ascorbic acid (which is sour like vinegar), either in capsules or as crystals dissolved in water or juice. It can also be taken as sodium ascorbate, which is non-acidic. To be most effective, it should be taken to bowel tolerance. This means taking high doses several (or many) times each day. See the references below for more information.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I woke up with a mild sore throat and slightly elevated temperature Sunday morning. I immediately began taking vitamin C throughout the day. I use sodium ascorbate in a chrystallline powder form. A quarter teaspoon is equal to 1112 mg of vitamin C. It's easy to use, I just measure, add it to a shot glass with an ounce of water, stir, and drink it down. If any remains, I just repeat with a more water. I don't taste it when I drink it but out of curiosity, I tasted it. Tastes like salt. One of the reasons I chose this vitamin C is because it's not acidic, which is important for me due to my ulcerative colitis.

I'm currently taking 1,112 mg six or so times throughout the day, along with my regular vitamins.

This is Day 5. Still have a mild sore throat and slightly elevated temperature, but it hasn't worsened. This has never happened to me before. Typically swallowing is painful and I'm miserable for days. I have no idea what I have. The nasal drip only lasted a few days. I'm mostly just hanging out on the computer, eating regular meals, and trying to get all the sleep I need each night.

Here's more information on vitamin C and a few reports on it's use for COVID-19 in China that I learned about this morning through Andrew Saul, a long time advocate of vitamin C. I hope you find it helpful...

What dosage?

As always @Winnie53 , a treasure trove of useful information.
Have checked Amazon, find it 1000g just under £20... Comments sound good.. Does sound bitter, one suggested baking powder*, I think to be added to flavor it up.?

Will be buying some, my lovely missus is washing her hands religiously, for me she says.. And it's making her hands sore
Did say in comments skin can improve, so it might be a win/win.... Cheers for the post and idea. ..:)

*EDIT: baking SODA

Last edited:
Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent find kokhongw. Thank you.

This excerpt from the Detailed Description is most encouraging!

Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, has antioxidant properties. When sepsis happens, the cytokine surge caused by sepsis is activated, and neutrophils in the lungs accumulate in the lungs, destroying alveolar capillaries. Early clinical studies have shown that vitamin C can effectively prevent this process. In addition, vitamin C can help to eliminate alveolar fluid by preventing the activation and accumulation of neutrophils, and reducing alveolar epithelial water channel damage. At the same time, vitamin C can prevent the formation of neutrophil extracellular traps, which is a biological event of vascular injury caused by neutrophil activation.
And this excerpt from the Global Sepsis Alliance is also encouraging...

To date, the most reliable information on the clinical syndrome resulting from COVID-19 comes from recently published data out of Wuhan, China and was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) on February 7, 2020. The most common symptoms attributed to COVID-19 infection requiring hospitalization were fever, fatigue, and a dry cough. A majority of cases also had low white blood cell counts and abnormal blood clotting parameters. Of patients hospitalized with COVID-19, 26% were sick enough to be treated in an intensive care unit (ICU) – of these, approximately 60% developed respiratory failure and 31% developed shock. Prolonged hospital courses were not uncommon. Fortunately, even among patients ill enough to be hospitalized with COVID-19 infection, only 4% died – meaning that even among hospitalized COVID-19 cases, nearly 96% have survived. Broader epidemiological data from both inside and outside China also support a case fatality rate of about 1%.

However, despite the attention being paid to COVID-19, it is important to realize that it is by no means the deadliest infection globally in 2020. It is not even the deadliest virus. Fewer than 3,200 deaths have been attributed in total to COVID-19. In comparison, the influenza virus has been responsible for at least 16,000 deaths in the United States alone so far in the 2019-2020 influenza season, with an in-hospital death rate near 5% – higher than the 4% in-hospital death rate seen with COVID-19 in China. As an additional frame of reference, recent estimates place the annual deaths due to sepsis worldwide in excess of 11 million.

https://www.global-sepsis-alliance....irus-disease-and-sepsis-cvd-novel-coronavirus

Reactions: kokhongw and jjraak

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
jjraak I'm doing same to protect my husband. My hands are dry too. Will have to go taste my baking soda now to see how it compares. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to go back through the Peter Osborne video and article I posted links to earlier and try to summarize the "what to do's". I'm interested in seeing how they compare to Andrew Saul's suggestions.

Reactions: Debandez

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I watched Question Time on Thursday night and our Health Secretary, Matt Hancock had me shouting at the television.

He was asked why the government hasn't stopped mass gatherings and he replied that the virus is an airborne disease and being out in the open air could be beneficial.

So firstly, in order to get to mass events, people are crammed in to a variety of taxis, buses, coaches and trains. Secondly, if the virus is airborne, then why are you telling me to wash my hands frequently - or is that just a distraction exercise?

All the events leading up to this point (including what happened in Wuhan province at the very beginning) indicate to me that stock markets are more important than people.