Prediabetes, many questions about diet

Divia

I understand many people here have experience with low carb, even I have had blood sugar and other markers improved. I don't deny it neither I am saying that high carb would work for everyone. But my experience with low carb/high fat/high protien wasn't that great either.
I dropped so much weight that i nearly disappeared even when i was eating food amount of protien and fat. I was loosing muscle which is not good. I got some problem with pains in neck during exertions which was scary. I had to get checked with various cardiologist. It has resolved since going vegan/vegetarian.
Another reason is that in high fat diet sugars will always be consistent, but as soon as carbs are eaten my body would never handle it well.
I should clarify here that by high carb i don't mean eating flours, rice and potatoes. I myself eat beans, lentils, some low GI fruits, lots of green veggies and nuts and some yogurt sometimes.
I don't add oil in cooking and even on high carb diet I do IF.
Why I post about calories is because calories matter. Even on high fat diet you would do great till you don't gain weight. If you start gaining weight you blood sugars will creep up. Please look into this if you think calories doesn't matter.
High fat diet mask insulin resistance because you don't eat any carbs to show if you are still resistant or reversed. We develop diabetes or insulin resistance when we eat more then our body can store. Excess carbs convert to fat that's why high carb is shown as a problem, but when we eat fat we directly store fat and have more free fats flowing around.
Anyway i am still researching and others as well. Noone knows what is exact mechanism which cause diabetes and how to reverse it truly. I just wanted to share my experience with OP.
I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I've tested with food, now that I have a monitor.

After the lchf meals, my BG doesn't go up, or very little. I mean meals with less than 10g carbs.

Yesterday I had a spike up to 128.5 mg/dL after eating bad, high carb cheesecake with 46 g.

My BG between meals and upon waking up is low 90s, high 80s.

I don't know what to make of it, but what I do understand is that high BG like that is bad for us and it seems that if I avoid high carbs, I'll be below 100 mg/dL.

It's too soon to really conclude on anything, because I'm new to measuring BG and need to see if it's really a rule, instead of a particular bad day/good day thing.

I also understood you're talking about good carb foods, like lentils and oats, not bad carb food like a cake. I understood.

In a few meals, I'll try lentils and see how my BG reacts.

But I must say my body seems to agree with lchf. I've noticed improvements in other areas.

Perhaps I need a balance. Because before, my fat intake was very low and we need fats.

But I'm decided that the starting point will be lchf. Then I'll try a little higher carb foods and see what. Like a little lentil dish, if my body can deal with the carbs.

Yesterday, I went back to the gym and people noticed I had lost weight. They think I lost a lot of weight. I haven't! I found it interesting. Looking at myself in the mirror, I've seen what they saw. I looked slimmer. I can't explain. I lost only 1 kg (about 2 pounds).

I can still lose weight, because my BMI was above 23. I have to check where it is today, in view of the mirror thing. But I'll watch it to avoid going unhealthy thin.

Thank you for sharing!

Divia

Hi and welcome, and well done on being so proactive in trying to get advice before things get worse. I’m another for whom the ‘healthy’ diet of wholemeal bread, pasta and low fat yoghurts have lead to T2 diabetes.
I had a kidney removed in 2017 ( not diabetes related) which is what made me look into ways of controlling my diabetes - I didn’t want to cause harm to my 1 remaining kidney. I started with Michael Mosely’s Blood Sugar Diet and gradually progressed to lchf and now keto.
I agree that Jason Fung The Diabetes Code is a great book - if you want to see more by him look at https://www.dietdoctor.com it’s a great resource.
You say you are used to a lot of exercise, I wouldn’t change that, carry on as you are if you enjoy it.
Just for info my HbA1c, cholesterol and kidney function are all normal now and I’m off diabetes meds and statins. One other point of interest is that at my last post cancer scan ( I’m in remission) I mentioned I was on a ketogenic diet and the doctor said that was the best thing I could do - she had corresponded with Jason Fung personally and researched the topic widely. For me, keto is killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
Thank you for sharing!

Yay for your condition now! I'm very happy for you!

I've got the book and read it! Amazing info!

I've also got a meter and I'm lchf as we speak!

After being afraid of too intense exercise, I got the courage to go back to the gym. My BG after a vigorous cardio work out plus weight training was 90, so, it seems I can continue with it. I'm so happy. I'd miss it a lot, because my life revolves around exercise. It's my luxury item and leisure.

Reactions: DJC3

Divia

Sorry I don't have any book to suggest. I understand you are already plants based and OMAD. But you said you are overweight. Is it possible for you cut oil or reduce it and reduce the portion size of your meal? Also do you eat refined products?
When you loose weight you improve insulin resistance as well. I am not saying to never go low carb, i say it a try for 15 or 20 days.
If no improvement in blood sugar, I would go low carb.
Also cut refined products if you are eating, i find it is very easy to eat junk on vegetarian then on low carb. Because vegetarian junk is everywhere.
I wasn't overweight. My BMI is below 24, low 23, and in my whole life, it has been to a max of, say, 25.2 in two occasions which I dealt with immediately. Long ago.

I hear you.

I'll keep the lchf experiment. If I lose too much weight, or become I'll, I'll look for an alternative.

I'll test higher carbs like lentils and see what my BG does.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I've tested with food, now that I have a monitor.

After the lchf meals, my BG doesn't go up, or very little. I mean meals with less than 10g carbs.

Yesterday I had a spike up to 128.5 mg/dL after eating bad, high carb cheesecake with 46 g.

My BG between meals and upon waking up is low 90s, high 80s.

I don't know what to make of it, but what I do understand is that high BG like that is bad for us and it seems that if I avoid high carbs, I'll be below 100 mg/dL.

It's too soon to really conclude on anything, because I'm new to measuring BG and need to see if it's really a rule, instead of a particular bad day/good day thing.

I also understood you're talking about good carb foods, like lentils and oats, not bad carb food like a cake. I understood.

In a few meals, I'll try lentils and see how my BG reacts.

But I must say my body seems to agree with lchf. I've noticed improvements in other areas.

Perhaps I need a balance. Because before, my fat intake was very low and we need fats.

But I'm decided that the starting point will be lchf. Then I'll try a little higher carb foods and see what. Like a little lentil dish, if my body can deal with the carbs.

Yesterday, I went back to the gym and people noticed I had lost weight. They think I lost a lot of weight. I haven't! I found it interesting. Looking at myself in the mirror, I've seen what they saw. I looked slimmer. I can't explain. I lost only 1 kg (about 2 pounds).

I can still lose weight, because my BMI was above 23. I have to check where it is today, in view of the mirror thing. But I'll watch it to avoid going unhealthy thin.

Thank you for sharing!
Not surprised with your experience of low carb. BG's will be flat after such meals and you are just in very early stage of prediabetic. No carbs no sugar spike.
I am proponent of experiments az i did for myself and happy for you that low carb is making you feel good and you feeling great.
Just try not to mix carbs with fats. Atleast not saturated fat.