And so it begins: Eat less meat or we’ll make you.

Huygens

BANNED
So there you go. Stop worrying about meat. It isn’t the route cause of climate change.Stay cool, don’t worry. A meat levy isn’t going to happen.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So there you go. Stop worrying about meat. It isn’t the route cause of climate change.Stay cool, don’t worry. A meat levy isn’t going to happen.
Hmmmm......first post is in here, with no information in profile? Excuse me if I do not share your confidence.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
What was that we were saying about choice? Looks like we’re edging one step closer to the removal of it.

People should cut the amount of beef, lamb and dairy produce they eat by a fifth to combat climate change, a report says. It says public bodies should lead the way by offering plant-based options with all meals. But it says if people don’t cut consumption willingly, taxes on meat and dairy might be needed. The report comes from the government’s official advisers, the Committee on Climate Change (CCC).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51210622

Maybe people will need to band together somehow and start a commune where multiple parties can live off the land and produce their own meat privately...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe people will need to band together somehow and start a commune where multiple parties can live off the land and produce their own meat privately...
This isn't possible as flocks of more than 5 sheep (I think) have to be registered with the government and come under general regulations. Same for cows.

Edited to add: all flocks have legal requirements, even just one cow and a couple of sheep. So the government rules on getting rid of meat will still apply.

M

Member496333

We live in Europe, though. Taking a poo in the morning has to meet certain legislative criteria. If I started slaughtering lambs in my back garden I'd have SWAT helicopters circling over head within minutes. Rest assured any legislation surrounding the production of meat will be equally applied to citizens.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday the EU passed legislation in the form of the Climate Bill which is now mandated on the 27 nations, and the UK but only till next year when we transition out finally.

https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/eu-climate-action_en

A quick read tbrough shows this is the high level document, and does not go into detail about specific measures. The main targets it sets is Zero Nett Carbon by 2050, and a 40% reduction in GHG emissions by 2030. It encloses the Kyoto Agreement and the Paris Accord thus formalising those Directives into the legislation. The principal of Emissions Trading is established.

It leaves the implementation up to each national body to make. No specific mention of livestock as such.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jus found this learned treatise on meat reduction measures
https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...-on-meat-products-a-legal-perspective-div.pdf

The author is apparently a Swedish vegan activist. She features strongly in the Vegan Sexuality Forum.

https://www.academia.edu/6063943/Ve...ronormative_Masculinity_through_Meat-free_Sex
I was hoping to read about meat free sex although I have never been in the habit of mixing the two anyway. However the link seems to be about sustainability on campus. Do you have a link to an abstract?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read most of it and can't see what sexual behaviour or orientation has to do with diet?...
According to the forum that mentions this paper, vegans have the better sex lives because they are not eating meat. There is a survey published 6 days ago that proves this apparently, but the source is extremely dubious. However, there is also a survey that shows vegans are more infertile than meat eaters

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/act...Vegetarians-have-much-lower-sperm-counts.html

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Control what we eat where we go .... the truth about this climate crisis lie is coming to the fore .....

Reactions: Barb McD

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder how they quantify "better"
The Heteronormanty in the paper title refers to the way vegans class meat eaters as selfish and agressive because of the meat hormones. Vegan men are supposedly less aggressive , more caring, and not in a selfish rush if you get my drift, Vegan men last longer and are better in all respects. Remember the author of the paper is a feminist as well. (how do I know? By their use of a nonsensical term in the title to explain College food sustainability with sex). Personally I found a big confounder in their argument is alcohol use, which is a big leveller in the horizontal arena

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What they should be saying is 'eat locally produced food where possible'. Often grazing animals are on land that is not fit for arable farming, true they should reduce the amount of intensive farming and put animals outside to graze. But what is really generating global warming - too many people. Too many people living in a throw away society. Too many rich gits wanting more profits. Give people large enough gardens to grow some their own food instead of reducing not only the size of the size of gardens (if you are lucky enough to have any), but also reducing the size of the homes. If they simply banned people producing more kids for 20 yrs, or even 30 yrs, worldwide, the population would reduce somewhat without the need to starve people, or have wars

Post edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Earth’s population may start to fall from 2040. Does it matter?
Ireland had a birth rate of 1.92 in 2016 but inward migration is contributing to population growth.
“The world population will never reach nine billion people,” he now believes, “It will peak at eight billion in 2040 and then decline.” Similarly, Prof Wolfgang Lutz and his fellow demographers at Vienna’s International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis predict the human population will stabilise by mid-century and then start to go down.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sci...rt-to-fall-from-2040-does-it-matter-1.3808527

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
If you look at this nighttime view of earth you'll see it is mostly empty with little industrialisation.
Hardly any highways housing factories power plants.
nighttime view of earth.jpg

Reactions: Barb McD

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Well, I'm probably going to be very unpopular here, but I agree that climate change needs to be tackled. If this means a shift in the way that agricultural land is used (more crops and less livestock) then we will have to pay more (or reduce) our consumption of animal-based products.

Countries like Australia won't be able to raise any lifestock if climate change means permanent severe drought and fires.

https://www.ewg.org/meateatersguide...at-matters/climate-and-environmental-impacts/

OK, not sure how accurate the above is but it does compare greenhouse gas emissions for different food types : lamb, beef and cheese are 1,2,3 on the list. Maybe meat eaters should substitute chicken and pork for beef and lanb?

It is interesting that a lot of us on this site are T2D and it is on the increase and that the way we eat and the way we are sold food has contributed. Changing things, being more active and close to food production and even growing or rearing it ourselves may help the climate too.
Before we all declare that we are not going to do or do more of something we should look in our waste bins and see how much we throw away and maybe reduce the demand for food products by wasting less.
We could learn quite a lot about our true eating habits! There are so many people in the world and we are trying to share it in a way that is not going to permanently damage the earth or its inhabitants so we each need to make some changes. A little change by each of us first world humans to increase the land available for carbon dioxide absorbing plant growth would help. It would also help if we didn't send products the whole way round the world but ate them locally which could certainly be a problem for me with a nut rich low carb diet as not many almonds or brazil nuts or cashews grown in Scotland - plenty of oats though!! :)