The insulin/heart connection

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Going to sit back and relax with a cup of coffee and enjoy this horror movie when I get a chance.

I can't believe you put in a spoiler :D

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most interesting read, @HSSS
And makes good sense, too.

Important for those DX as T2D,
But I'd suggest even more important for those
Pre diabetic, and sadly those who haven't been DX'd yet.

Cheers for post

M

Member496333

The deeper I go down this rabbit hole of nutritional health and chronic, non-cumminacable disease, the more convinced I'm becoming that excessive circulating insulin is the root of all evil. As the venerable Timothy Noakes eloquently puts it; "It's the insulin resistance, stupid."

Reactions: ickihun and HSSS

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The deeper I go down this rabbit hole of nutritional health and chronic, non-cumminacable disease, the more convinced I'm becoming that excessive circulating insulin is the root of all evil. As the venerable Timothy Noakes eloquently puts it; "It's the insulin resistance, stupid."

That's where I'm at, at the moment. There just seems to be well and truly enough evidence to me that this is the cause of systemic chronic conditions. You have all these relationships between metabolic dysfunction and the liver, vascular, kidneys etc. There are other genetic reasons etc for bad outcomes in the organs, but throw uncontrolled insulin resistance, hyperglycemia into the picture and this puts these other key organs at risk of disease.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am with you. Insulin resistance ran over my dog and drank the beer from my fridge.

But seriously, I'm becoming increasingly convinced by the evidence, but I'm worried I'm seeking out information that agrees with my beliefs, so I need to be careful I don't become a conspiracy theorist.

Hotpepper20000

I agree that excess insulin is the root of many problems.
I am interested why this has become such a problem in modern times.
Diet is one aspect of it for sure, and treating it with low carb is a solution for many
I do think that it’s more then just what we eat. The pollutions and chemicals in our environment must have a influence as well.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Hotpepper20000 From the material I have been watching/reading, I suspect there are a lot of contributors to the insulin problem. Not a complete list, and in no particular order:
  • Sugar. Robert Lustig documents the contributions of sugar (HFCS and sucrose - aka fructose, to be precise) to obesity, diabetes and other metabolic ills. He makes a VERY compelling case.
  • Constant eating. Fung makes a good case that constant eating means we don't have periods of fasting that are long enough to allow insulin to drop. I've seen a number quoted for how long an average "westerner" goes without eating in an average day, and it's something like 10 hours. ie, we pretty much eat from waking to bed time now. Number is not accurate...it's from memory, but it's the trend that's important.
  • High carb diet. Over the last 50 years our diets have become increasingly carb focused, causing more insulin response.
  • Highly processed food. More quickly absorbed, causing higher and quicker spikes in glucose and insulin.

Basically putting the pieces together, if you wanted to make a plan to flood a human with as much endogenous insulin as possible, as often as possible, and for as long as possible, you probably couldn't come up with a plan significantly better than the Standard American Diet.

Hotpepper20000

@Hotpepper20000 From the material I have been watching/reading, I suspect there are a lot of contributors to the insulin problem. Not a complete list, and in no particular order:
  • Sugar. Robert Lustig documents the contributions of sugar (HFCS and sucrose - aka fructose, to be precise) to obesity, diabetes and other metabolic ills. He makes a VERY compelling case.
  • Constant eating. Fung makes a good case that constant eating means we don't have periods of fasting that are long enough to allow insulin to drop. I've seen a number quoted for how long an average "westerner" goes without eating in an average day, and it's something like 10 hours. ie, we pretty much eat from waking to bed time now. Number is not accurate...it's from memory, but it's the trend that's important.
  • High carb diet. Over the last 50 years our diets have become increasingly carb focused, causing more insulin response.
  • Highly processed food. More quickly absorbed, causing higher and quicker spikes in glucose and insulin.

Basically putting the pieces together, if you wanted to make a plan to flood a human with as much endogenous insulin as possible, as often as possible, and for as long as possible, you probably couldn't come up with a plan significantly better than the Standard American Diet.

I agree that these are all factors. But remember some people have Type 2 with out eating the standard America in diet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't forget toxic seed oils too..

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
https://apple.news/ATmBZU1j8T8KZTkramUBaww

How insulin resistant is the best and earliest marker for heart disease. Simple easy to understand read. Spoiler: lchf is the answer to resolve it
Not sure if insulin resistance is easy to measure other than by proxy measures such as gut width, blood pressure, high trigs and low hdl plus fatty liver? Apparently the fatty liver precedes all (long silent scream) but that needs a scan to check your foie gras status so not easy either.
I agree which leaves me thinking why do so many type 1s get heart disease too? We damage our arteries by having too much sugar around not to mention our eyes and kidneys but we have too little insulin not too much unless of course we're following the advice of our consultants to eat loads of healthy whole-grains and dose ourselves with as much insulin as we need to cover it...But that's okay because we can go low fat and take a statin.
Isn't resisting the resistance via lchf a double negative?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if insulin resistance is easy to measure other than by proxy measures such as gut width, blood pressure, high trigs and low hdl plus fatty liver?

There is a blood test. Unfortunately not offered by the NHS, but it is available via private testing from Medichecks, Thriva and others. It’s a calculation based on fasting insulin and fasting blood glucose. https://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-know/

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)