COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have respiratory and immune system issues. Knowing my risk helps me make decisions about how to do things. And when or if to self isolate to reduce my risk.

My son has Sarcoidosis, which affects his lungs and other organs in his body, he is putting even more good hygiene practices in place and like me, he's hoping for the best. even though he has been ill a lot and his breathing/lung function always hit badly, he is also on the lower range of disability allowance, he works part-time, walks a lot and also does weights. He is being careful, but not isolating himself.
I keep my fingers crossed for him.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My local supermarket, very near to my home, was heaving today. Many shelves were empty, including the liquid soap aisle and no antibacterial hand gel, even though a sign said, only two per customer, sorry for the inconvenience.
Vitamin C tablets, empty too.
A lady from our local paper was at the Hand gel aisle and we spoke, she took a photo of us both in front of the empty soap/gel aisle and was asking me questions about my views on what was going on.
My wife just returned from Waitrose and said they had no toilet rolls, tissues, soap of any kind and of course no hand sanitizer - it's all getting very silly! Incidentally antibacterial gel is no use against a virus.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lucylocket61 does that mean you have no experience managing your asthma with a cold or influenza? And you don't know what medications and food you need to have on hand? And what actions to take if you have a cold or influenza and have an asthma attack on top of it?

I don't have asthma, nor am I knowledgeable about it. I only have lung damage.

This would be a good conversation to have with your doctor, or perhaps someone associated with a non-profit organization that serves those with asthma, or a support group, or an online forum.
Thank you, and others, for your help. I now have an asthma action plan, and sufficient meds for a month.

Reactions: HSSS

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife just returned from Waitrose and said they had no toilet rolls, tissues, soap of any kind and of course no hand sanitizer - it's all getting very silly! Incidentally antibacterial gel is no use against a virus.

If the anti-bac gel is a min of 60% alcohol, then it will work fine.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...h-more-effective-against-coronavirus-covid-19

But yes, I totally agree, it is getting VERY silly.
And the people who seem to be getting most stressed are the ones who have least to worry about (the young, the fit, and the ones without underlying health issues and co-morbidities).

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
it's all getting very silly! Incidentally antibacterial gel is no use against a virus.

I travel with children in a taxi twice a day. Tbh, if it helps someone feel as though they are keeping good hygiene practice and makes them feel just a little bit in control of the current situation, then use the gel, if soap and water are unavailable...............that is if anybody can actually find some hand gel :wideyed:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...h-more-effective-against-coronavirus-covid-19

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's similar to flu, gets a lot of press.
Can't think of the last time a country shut down over flu... And given the size of China and the risks involved in taking such drastic action to the ruling elite, I think it might be wise to look beyond what the MSM tells us. Good or bad.
I am not one to panic but this is what makes me feel a little nervous too!

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think of 50% of people having flu at the same time, maybe 5% of the population needing medical care while 40% of the NHS staff are off sick. If that happens then the next year it will be no different to normal flu as enough people will already have had it to prevent it spreading fast.

So getting it is like getting flu, but many more people could get it in the same year all within a few weeks of each other.
But they are currently testing to see if you can get it more than once! There was a case in China apparently where a woman has tested positive twice (and clear in between) - it is too new a virus to be sure of anything yet.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There have been a number of reports of negative tests being followed by positive, particularly with subjects who only had mild symptoms. I have seen a single unconfirmed report of a child who had no symptoms who has tested positive again two months after the original positive test. So the likelihood would seem to be reappearance in the test rather than reinfection.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been a number of reports of negative tests being followed by positive, particularly with subjects who only had mild symptoms. I have seen a single unconfirmed report of a child who had no symptoms who has tested positive again two months after the original positive test. So the likelihood would seem to be reappearance in the test rather than reinfection.

yes.
And some tests produce false positives and false negatives.
This happens in a number of different medical tests.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a side line, I keep seeing pictures of people wearing masks. Regardless of whether we think it’s appropriate where on earth are they getting them from? Even b & q have sold out of dust masks!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive just asked my friend , currently in hospital with confirmed covid 19, her experience. I know she returned from an area identified as high risk (just as she returned). She called 111 immediately but it took 48hrs to call her back. By then she had mild symptoms of a Slight fever cough, sore throat etc . She was taken for testing but returned home the same day into isolation. It was another 5 days before she was confirmed positive. I’ve no idea of further details but these delays seem.....concerning

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hospitals and GPs are giving out mask supplies to those at risk, such as supporting someone who is self-isolating.

D

Deleted member 308541

As a side line, I keep seeing pictures of people wearing masks. Regardless of whether we think it’s appropriate where on earth are they getting them from? Even b & q have sold out of dust masks!
I purchased two boxes of P2 masks last December from Amazon Au, when the bushfires were raging around Bundaberg.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I purchased two boxes of P2 masks last December from Amazon Au, when the bushfires were raging around Bundaberg.
So not so recently then! I doubt that most households around the world had them stockpiled.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hospitals and GPs are giving out mask supplies to those at risk, such as supporting someone who is self-isolating.
In which case it’s unlikely to be those walking around the streets being photographed?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know, the masks need to be reserved for healthcare professionals, first responders, people who have COVID-19 symptoms when they go in for a medical evaluation and testing, and people who are extremely vulnerable due to chronic health conditions.

Mask use for people who are not ill, who just need to pick up some groceries for example, may provide a sense of protection, but will the mask protect you?

The masks most people are buying and using do not seal so mouth and nose are not protected. And the masks don't protect the eyes.

The masks that do seal properly are only good for 4 hours, and have to be worn correctly, removed correctly, and disposed of correctly.

Our best strategies are washing hands often, cleaning/avoiding touching surfaces that other people are touching, maintaining distance from other people, etc...

Call me crazy, but the only thing I've bought in preparation for the coronavirus spread, is food, medication I need if I become ill, vitamin C and NAC. And if I can find some, more liquid dish washing detergent. That's it.

I'm investing my time and energy online here and elsewhere to stay up to date and to learn everything I can to protect myself, my family, my friends.

This virus is scary. And I'm not completely confident in the testing process in the US at the moment, but I know that process will be improved on an ongoing basis and we'll get there eventually. What helps me sleep at night is knowing there are a lot of very smart, determined people throughout the world doing everything they can to get us through this... I don't normally pray, but I'm praying for them.

D

Deleted member 308541

So not so recently then! I doubt that most households around the world had them stockpiled.
I have always had face masks for use out at our block of land, even have a couple in our bedroom just in case we have a fire in the unit.

I was talking to a firey about masks and he put me onto the P2 masks as they keep particulates out, whereas the other ones we had do not.

They are also useful when we have dust storms here...

Reactions: Debandez
D

Deleted member 308541

This virus is scary. And I'm not completely confident in the testing process in the US at the moment, but I know that process will be improved on an ongoing basis and we'll get there eventually.
So is your president's attitude towards the virus... :meh:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know, the masks need to be reserved for healthcare professionals, first responders, people who have COVID-19 symptoms when they go in for a medical evaluation and testing, and people who are extremely vulnerable due to chronic health conditions.

Mask use for people who are not ill, who just need to pick up some groceries for example, may provide a sense of protection, but will the mask protect you?

The masks most people are buying and using do not seal so mouth and nose are not protected. And the masks don't protect the eyes.

The masks that do seal properly are only good for 4 hours, and have to be worn correctly, removed correctly, and disposed of correctly.

My post wasn’t about the advisability just the availability.

Yes I know this is the advice re masks. Quite frankly I think that advice is based on the need to preserve them for health workers and those with symptoms (understandably) and to avoid panic (also understandably). I also realise that they are not failsafe or guaranteed. I understand there are risks regarding a false sense of security and touching the mask inappropriately.

But when a virus is predominantly spread by droplets then anything that reduces the amount of droplets coming into contact with your mucous membranes (goggles would be a factor here too) will help. Not guarantee but reduce the odds.

It is also a fact that government must maintain a sense of calm and find a way of preserving limited supplies for the most urgent of demands. They must also address the lowest common factor when giving advice - those that believe masks make you super heros whilst using them widely abusing and misusing them.

Reactions: Winnie53