Type 1 Son has hearing loss

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Found out today my son aged 20 has bi-lateral mild to moderate hearing loss. I’m gutted as he’s planning to join the police ☹️ He’s not diabetic but I have had it 44 years and have read that maybe his hearing loss is connected? It’s his inner ear and he’s waiting for tests to look at the structure. I’m so upset as he’s really healthy and I was so proud to produce a perfect baby, despite pre eclampsia all those years ago. Anyone on here who’s ever had children will know that hurdle of trying so hard to get it right for 9 months X

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A difficult adjustment in coming to terms with this, however, depending on the level of hearing loss and whether hearing aids compensate this would not automatically bar him from serving as a police officer. The Home Office guidance is that there is a requirement for an individual assessment by one of their doctors.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Found out today my son aged 20 has bi-lateral mild to moderate hearing loss. I’m gutted as he’s planning to join the police ☹️ He’s not diabetic but I have had it 44 years and have read that maybe his hearing loss is connected? It’s his inner ear and he’s waiting for tests to look at the structure. I’m so upset as he’s really healthy and I was so proud to produce a perfect baby, despite pre eclampsia all those years ago. Anyone on here who’s ever had children will know that hurdle of trying so hard to get it right for 9 months
emoji4.png
X

Hi @conniecar ,

I'm sorry to read your son has a hearing impairment.

I'm not a parent, but I am a T1 son. I know my mother was always just happy I was content doing what I do. & that I made the right choices for me.
We don't all grow up in a sterile labortitory glass environment & sometimes it's the luck of the draw..
Looking at your profile you & I are approximately a similar age..
My mum these days has Alzheimers. my sister & I afford the same dignity in return as carers..

Best wishes to your son on his tests. & his future plans.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you - yesterday I was just upset, today I’ve got it in perspective. The police do do independent testing and I also have a mother in law recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, so thank you both for your kind words

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Found out today my son aged 20 has bi-lateral mild to moderate hearing loss. I’m gutted as he’s planning to join the police ☹️ He’s not diabetic but I have had it 44 years and have read that maybe his hearing loss is connected? It’s his inner ear and he’s waiting for tests to look at the structure. I’m so upset as he’s really healthy and I was so proud to produce a perfect baby, despite pre eclampsia all those years ago. Anyone on here who’s ever had children will know that hurdle of trying so hard to get it right for 9 months X
I got diagnosed with middle ear deafness (it’s now about 50%) on one ear. Don’t think mines related to diabetes as I have another condition but how is deafness relegated to diabetes (I’m type 2 )

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son doesn’t have diabetes but I’ve been type 1 for a long time. I’ve had a hearing test this week and it’s 100%. I’ve read that genes can play a part if the mother has diabetes it can affect their children. This only applies to the mother genetically. Both parents can have a mutated gene that causes deafness. I’m interested in the diabetes and mother one. Thanks though. X