Newbie recovering from coma

Dave Wilde

Hi

Was diagnosed on my birthday last October when I went into hospital in a diabetic coma. Pretty traumatic - life support, kidney failure, couldn't walk or talk. It's a few months on now and I am getting back into life. People wouldn't know anything was wrong with me if they passed me on the street. I have come a long way but still fragile. I am finding my memory has been affected. There are many gaps from the last few years. I have some interviews coming up soon. I just feel so vulnerable because I am still finding out what my brain is capable of. I know there will be some questions I can't answer because I don't remember things. Am trying so hard to stick to a low carb diet to keep the pancreas function going. The kidneys are normal now. I feel like i have a cold all the time. I got labryinthtis last month which seems to be sticking around. It's been really difficult as I used to be fit and look after others in my job. I have had **** experiences - you really find out who you can rely on when the chips are down. The information on this forum has been brilliant. I am so grateful for all the experience shared. It's so good when someone else understands what you are going through. It is very tough.
I got TID after diabetic ketoacidosis with a blood sugar of 70. I was in a psychosis and coma. I’m still very depressed and feel very vulnerable. I thought it was only kids that got this. It all happened so fast. At times I’ve even felt suicidal. I was so fit and yet it still got me. I still struggle 9 months after being in ITU with the diagnosis. I have vitiligo which is linked and autoimmune disorders are rife in my family

Reactions: Waterfall 888

Swillbos

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh, Dave and Waterfall, you have both had shocking introductions to the LADA club! Such a close brush with death is bound to have a lasting impact while you deal with post traumatic stress and unwanted new realities. This year marks my 20th anniversary of ovarian cancer, which completely turned my life upside down. I now look back and it's almost as if it happened to another person, but it takes time to get perspective. I don't personally subscribe to the "best thing that ever happened" club, but, and without wanting to sound too morbid, I am profoundly grateful for knowledge of my own mortality. If you can get your head round it, it does help in difficult times. Hugs and the very best of luck x

Reactions: Waterfall 888

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Waterfall 888 and @Dave Wilde, your introductions to LADA/T1 sound horrific. I was lucky in that I knew enough about diabetes to suspect it was what was happening to me before I went to see my GP, so the diagnosis was no real surprise. What was a whole new scenario was managing T1 on top of having only moved in with my new partner 3 months earlier. I hope you both have people around you who are as supportive as he was as it really makes a difference.

35 years on, so much of it has become routine. There are undoubtedly still times when I resent it and want days off, and I think that applies to just about everyone. It's getting through all the adjustments and for you @Waterfall 888 coping with other consequences. As others have said, I'd be clear at interviews that you have memory gaps and why; I'd also be clear about whether your memory is working properly now, and it is purely the past which is affected. I think it's great that you're looking forward because we sure as heck can't go back. There's so much support available on here and you've had a lot of good advice already; nothing to add here except well done on getting to where you are and keep on going - good luck both of you!

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Waterfall - after all that you've been through an interview will be a doddle.
You should be really proud of yourself. What you’ve been through must have been incredibly tough and here you are - out the other side. Well done.
As someone said I’d be totally honest and up front about everything. Take a copy of your CV and anything else you have sent to the people doing the interviews and keep it handy, you could always enlarge it to make it easy for you to glance at if you need to.
Lucylemonpip’s menu suggestions look great so enjoy them.
Thank you. Amazing! Good advice much appreciated.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You are doing a great job. Keep the low carb diet going. I think you might try ramping up fat (mostly animal source fats + olive + flax seed and nuts) in your diet. You might want to know that we can regenerate brain cells and synaptic connections. Keep it up.
Good to know. Thank you so much. Appreciate the support.

Reactions: NéjiSaïdi

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Waterfall 888 and @Dave Wilde, your introductions to LADA/T1 sound horrific. I was lucky in that I knew enough about diabetes to suspect it was what was happening to me before I went to see my GP, so the diagnosis was no real surprise. What was a whole new scenario was managing T1 on top of having only moved in with my new partner 3 months earlier. I hope you both have people around you who are as supportive as he was as it really makes a difference.

35 years on, so much of it has become routine. There are undoubtedly still times when I resent it and want days off, and I think that applies to just about everyone. It's getting through all the adjustments and for you @Waterfall 888 coping with other consequences. As others have said, I'd be clear at interviews that you have memory gaps and why; I'd also be clear about whether your memory is working properly now, and it is purely the past which is affected. I think it's great that you're looking forward because we sure as heck can't go back. There's so much support available on here and you've had a lot of good advice already; nothing to add here except well done on getting to where you are and keep on going - good luck both of you!
It's the years of experience that gives me hope. Thanks for sharing your support. It has been a,lonely journey but can only go upwards from here. I was very active climbing mountains before diagnosis and my mild symptoms were put down to early menopause. It is what is.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I got TID after diabetic ketoacidosis with a blood sugar of 70. I was in a psychosis and coma. I’m still very depressed and feel very vulnerable. I thought it was only kids that got this. It all happened so fast. At times I’ve even felt suicidal. I was so fit and yet it still got me. I still struggle 9 months after being in ITU with the diagnosis. I have vitiligo which is linked and autoimmune disorders are rife in my family
You are not alone. it is horrific. Same route as you. Finding the journey bringing other issues health, work, friendships making recovery so much harder. I take it day by day and on bad days meal by meal. I start the day with positive affirmations and end the day with gratitude. Music helps a lot and walking in the park even for 5 minutes. I tell myself I am amazing when I inject. Cheesy I know but it keeps me going. Even when done through gritted teeth. Good luck.

Waterfall 888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi od
Gosh, Dave and Waterfall, you have both had shocking introductions to the LADA club! Such a close brush with death is bound to have a lasting impact while you deal with post traumatic stress and unwanted new realities. This year marks my 20th anniversary of ovarian cancer, which completely turned my life upside down. I now look back and it's almost as if it happened to another person, but it takes time to get perspective. I don't personally subscribe to the "best thing that ever happened" club, but, and without wanting to sound too morbid, I am profoundly grateful for knowledge of my own mortality. If you can get your head round it, it does help in difficult times. Hugs and the very best of luck x
Thanks. Your positive message is so heartwarming and inspirational. It is good to hear!

Honeyend

I suffer from post illness, I do not how to discribe it really, I just not as sharpe as I was. I would like to go back to work but I know that at this point, as you say you look well on the outside, I am not back to normal.
I am volenteering in charity shop, just a couple of hours at a time, I sleep two hours when I get home, just to get in to the habit of driving to work, doing something, and coming home. It gives you something to put on our CV.
I became ill suddenly like you, and it really knocks your confidence, I worry about being ill again, but there is nothing to do but push on, and if its even just a little progress each day it all adds up. I eat a fair amount of protein, and I think this has helped with my recovery.
I do not know is I will ever go back to my profession, which after 40 years is hard, but I get lots of enjoyment out of life, and that really the main thing.

Laneysystem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Was diagnosed on my birthday last October when I went into hospital in a diabetic coma. Pretty traumatic - life support, kidney failure, couldn't walk or talk. It's a few months on now and I am getting back into life. People wouldn't know anything was wrong with me if they passed me on the street. I have come a long way but still fragile. I am finding my memory has been affected. There are many gaps from the last few years. I have some interviews coming up soon. I just feel so vulnerable because I am still finding out what my brain is capable of. I know there will be some questions I can't answer because I don't remember things. Am trying so hard to stick to a low carb diet to keep the pancreas function going. The kidneys are normal now. I feel like i have a cold all the time. I got labryinthtis last month which seems to be sticking around. It's been really difficult as I used to be fit and look after others in my job. I have had **** experiences - you really find out who you can rely on when the chips are down. The information on this forum has been brilliant. I am so grateful for all the experience shared. It's so good when someone else understands what you are going through. It is very tough.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hi

Wow you were hit hard!
Well done for picking up the pieces and trying to get them back together again.
Really really well done.
Art gets you through with me it's my hobby of creating sounds and then trying to make tunes from those sounds and a little more conventional too ... whatever gets you through the night .....
Keep on looking the world in the eye and moving on .... you're an inspiration.
Do you upload your art?