Very high hba1c level - 130mmol/mol. Help.

jackthelad69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have recorded the highest hba1c level that I have ever had - 130mmol/mol. I only discovered this today whilst checking the result on my surgery's patients internet account. Whilst I was there , I discovered that the diabetic nurse had arranged a phone appointment for 1925, but she did not call.

I suspect they may say that I have to go on insulin? Can they recommend anything else?

I was doing LCHF about a year ago, but fell of the wagon big time, although it had worked really well for me. I am now back on the wagon.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, if you test before and after meals there will be no shocks when you have your next HbA1c. You will know what to expect - and it will motivate you to stay on the wagon. I promise you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recorded the highest hba1c level that I have ever had - 130mmol/mol. I only discovered this today whilst checking the result on my surgery's patients internet account. Whilst I was there , I discovered that the diabetic nurse had arranged a phone appointment for 1925, but she did not call.

I suspect they may say that I have to go on insulin? Can they recommend anything else?

I was doing LCHF about a year ago, but fell of the wagon big time, although it had worked really well for me. I am now back on the wagon.

Nobody here can tell what your nurse might suggest, but I think it safe to suggest she'll want that HbA1c down somewhat. Those numbers won't be doing you any good.

Only you can gauge whether that seems like a "fair" number, based on how off-track you know you were for a while.

There are over 400 possible oral drug combinations available - not all single drugs, but single, plus combinations, prior to considering insulin, but it seems fair to assume your nurse will have concerns.

Get testing, get adjusting and see what she has to say.

Good luck with it all.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type 2 consider that adding more insulin to your very resistant body will, long term, make the situation worse even whilst it short term lowers blood glucose by forcing more of it in! Better to find ways of reducing the glucose and improving insulin sensitivity long term.

When discussing the relative merits and disadvantages of any proposed treatments also consider The risk of hypo and if it is suitable to being combined with low carb if that’s your intention for how to address it long term and only intending medications to be an interim measure.

Finally remember, they are there to advise and inform you of facts, choices and implications. You get to decide which path of those available to you.

jackthelad69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks HSSS. I have had an appointment with the Diabetic nurse and I am taking my bloods, as other type 2s do and recording the readings. No further medication, to see how that goes, on LCHF now and will discuss further with DN in 2 weeks. If coming down will have no additional meds and continue with LCHF.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of numbers are you seeing after meals? Are you back in the normal range? If so I think you are well placed to argue that your Hba1c must be dropping and you have no need of tablets to assist it.

jackthelad69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Still quite high - 15.1 at 1545. Still better than the 18.5 when seeing the DN, using a meter like mine. I just hope and believe that it will continue to drop.

Stevebas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nasty people
New to all these numbers and quite new to diabetes...my last HbA1c was 44 but that means nothing

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New to all these numbers and quite new to diabetes...my last HbA1c was 44 but that means nothing

Hi Steve, have a good look around this site for starters, you will find a wealth of information on hba1c. There's loads of info on line as well. x

Reactions: Stevebas

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.

That is a good reading, Stevebas. You should be pleased with that. :)

Jack the lad, you need to be very strict with your diet and avoid starchy carbs like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and other products that have flour as well as avoiding sugar where possible. A low carb diet need not be dull. I came across the website below a few weeks back and it has some lovely low carb and keto recipes. I love the mushroom, spinach and cauliflower rice. https://kalynskitchen.com/my-favorite-low-carb-recipes-with-cauliflower-rice/

I have been following the Newcastle diet for 5 weeks now as my last HbA1c was 59 and I was not happy with such a high number. My GP likes it to be no more than 50. I have lost 15lbs on the Newcastle diet but my weight loss has stalled and I am eating some snacks as I get very hungry. I am fed up with the diet and may go to a normal low carb one for four days and then go back to the Newcastle diet. My metre readings are a lot lower now and I am pleased that I have lost some weight but the incentive to stick to such a severe diet has gone.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost some weight but the incentive to stick to such a severe diet has gone.
Which is why many of us achieve similar results without the hunger or deprivation by doing low carb or even keto instead. We find it more sustainable

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still quite high - 15.1 at 1545. Still better than the 18.5 when seeing the DN, using a meter like mine. I just hope and believe that it will continue to drop.
This will be hugely effected by what you’ve eat/done before the test and whilst it is high in isolation doesn’t help form a plan. How are your numbers doing before and after meals?

Stevebas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nasty people
I don’t check my blood I was told by my doctor that being on metformin there is no need too.. I have changed my diet and I’m now eating things I never have before like Avocados...thank you all for your answers

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t check my blood I was told by my doctor that being on metformin there is no need too.. I have changed my diet and I’m now eating things I never have before like Avocados...thank you all for your answers
Your dr is wrong!

take a read of this thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-your-blood-sugars.66574/page-55#post-2225541

fundamentally- as the nhs don’t pay for type 2 to test - they cannot then advocate testing without maki g it look like they should be paying for it.

additionally lots of drs have no idea how to use testing for type 2. They see it purely as a means to avoid hypo and adjust insulin doses which aren’t relevant to most type 2.

What is being missed it is that well timed testing can dramatically and definitively show what some foods do to your levels and can effect rapid and dramatic change as a result.

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
Which is why many of us achieve similar results without the hunger or deprivation by doing low carb or even keto instead. We find it more sustainable

I was on a low carb diet for six years but in October 2019, I felt deprived and started yearning for ice cream and cakes. I gave in and started eating them, so in January my HbA1c went up. I lost weight on low carb to begin with in 2014 but then my weight stayed the same. I wanted to try something that was different and see if I could get rid of my diabetes, hence the Newcastle diet. I felt very hungry for the first two days and then the hunger left me. However, it came back 3 or 4 days ago but I did go abut 4 weeks without being tempted and in that time went down from 14 stone 12 lbs to 13 stone 11 lbs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any reason you can't make yourself some low carb icecream?
I have an icecream maker, it has two freezing pails which live in the freezer, and a motor. pour in a custard of cream and eggs and leave it to set - icecream, of the original and proper sort.
Cakes made with low carb flours seem to work well enough, or there are loads of other low carb desserts to make, there is no need to feel in any way deprived eating low carb.