Bs gone up from breakfast in between not eaten nothing

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I had my breakfast early at 5.30 am before breakfast my bs was 6.5. I have just done my bs 6 hours later ready for lunch and its reading 8.1.......can anyone explain why it's gone up when I haven't eaten in between
Thankyou

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
What did you have for breakfast, what have you been doing in the last 6 hours ie. Gardening, work, exercise. We need more information to make any meaningful suggestions

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Well I dont exercise due to back problems ,,at 5.30 am I eat porridge I'm normally ok with porridge come down fairly kwok before lunch time

M

Member496333

Porridge is glucose in drag. You may normally be ok with it but that doesn’t necessarily mean that will always be the case, or that it’ll remain so forever.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Porridge is glucose in drag. You may normally be ok with it but that doesn’t necessarily mean that will always be the case, or that it’ll remain so forever.

and if you eat if with extra fat - butter, cream of full fat milk, there can be a delayed spike

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The best breakfast is eggs or bacon and eggs. Failing that a handful of berries with double cream or full fat greek yogurt.
I never has anything other than those after I went low carb and I didn't ever get more than a 0.5 spike from breakfast unless I did some intensive exercise (which often causes the liver to dump glucose).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed people are testing before meals, but not after, and some mention that they are instructed to do so - but I can't really see what benefit a type two would get from knowing their BG before eating but not at the set time afterwards.
At the two hour mark I could judge both how the meal had affected me, and if my ability to cope with carbs was improving, with the comparison with the before level.

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found porridge to be a slow release problem. I switched to NOat Porridge (greatApeCo). It is based on seeds and contains no oats. This helped to reduce the glucose drag for me.
Plus exercise and weight loss (8kg in 8 weeks)....my BG has improved massively. Yesterday I was 5.0 first thing in morning, which I haven't seen in ages.

Reactions: catinahat

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I had my breakfast early at 5.30 am before breakfast my bs was 6.5. I have just done my bs 6 hours later ready for lunch and its reading 8.1.......can anyone explain why it's gone up when I haven't eaten in between

That reading of 8.1 could actually be on the way down because porridge would send my BG through the roof.

A reading 2 hours after eating would be more useful a way of getting a handle on what your BG is really doing. Perhaps even 1 hr and 2 hrs. Between breakfast and 6 hours later your bg might have gone up to 13 and be on the way back down.

Reactions: plutoniumcard