Cold sweats T2 insulin newbie

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I've just come out of hospital, where I spent a week with high BS and a particularly nasty kidney infection. At point if entry my BS was at 20 and I'd been experiencing difficulty in getting my figures below 12-14 for some time and my kidneys are slightly damaged as a result. Upshot being hospital put me on insulin, Novomix 30 twice a day before eating. This is my 4th day and my first night home. I woke up twice absolutely wringing wet in a cold sweat. My question is: would insulin do this to me, or is it something else? Has anyone else had this unpleasant experience?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I woke up twice absolutely wringing wet in a cold sweat.
Did you check your bg at that point? Could have been hypo's, could have been false hypo's, could have been fever, could have been something else.

Wish you a good and uneventful recovery, sounds like you've had a bad week, being so ill.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Did you check your bg at that point? Could have been hypo's, could have been false hypo's, could have been fever, could have been something else.

Wish you a good and uneventful recovery, sounds like you've had a bad week, being so ill.
I didn't check bg as monitor downstairs and could not energy to get up for it. Felt so rough. My daughter suggested could be infection.

Should I nibble something like cheese before bed I wonder?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't check bg as monitor downstairs and could not energy to get up for it. Felt so rough. My daughter suggested could be infection.

Should I nibble something like cheese before bed I wonder?
You should keep your meter by your bed, and something sweet to treat a hypo with so you don't have to navigate the stairs if you do get a hypo.
You really don't have a way to know what's going on without checking your bg, and if your bg is fine, checking for fever.
Stay safe!

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
You should keep your meter by your bed, and something sweet to treat a hypo with so you don't have to navigate the stairs if you do get a hypo.
You really don't have a way to know what's going on without checking your bg, and if your bg is fine, checking for fever.
Stay safe!
I will - thanks. I got home late from hospital last night. Husband cannot help as he has declining Parkinsons.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will - thanks. I got home late from hospital last night. Husband cannot help as he has declining Parkinsons.
Let us know how it went tonight, I wish you a good night of uninterrupted sleep and sweet dreams!

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Night sweats stopped. Must have been infection.

Reactions: Antje77