COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
jjraak that was the first article I've read from the perspective of someone who had the coronavirus. Knowing what to expect if infected demystified the condition for me. I don't feel as scared of it now. Spending time with you all here this week has also been very helpful too.

Reactions: Debandez
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning, I found these on my portal this morning, from one of the companies I work for., regarding the virus.

DSC_1931 (1) - Edited.jpg

scv20200307_074342 - Edited (1).jpg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak talking to son on phone this morning who said whatever quantity of vodka I put in my homemade gel its still only going to be 40% alcohol based but acknowledged thats all I can do atm. He didnt get his brains from his mum :D

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@jjraak talking to son on phone this morning who said whatever quantity of vodka I put in my homemade gel its still only going to be 40% alcohol based but acknowledged thats all I can do atm. He didnt get his brains from his mum :D

Respectfully point out that you can buy cask strength single malt at over 60% alcohol.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aberlour-ABunadh-Highland-Single-numbers/dp/B004CY91AA
However our bottle isn't going into hand gel!!!!

Noting that we didn't pay anywhere near that price.
It was on special offer at Waitrose a year or so back.

Edit: also noting that it would have to be used undiluted by any gel to keep the strength over 60%. So not much use as a hand gel component, but a very sophisticated antiseptic mouth wash.

Go gently if drinking cask strength single malt undiluted.
It may sterilise your mouth in a quite painful way.

Reactions: urbanracer

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isopropyl alcohol would work if you can get some.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://twitter.com/LizSpecht/status/1236095180459003909
This seems a reasonable discussion about what the numbers could mean.

Fantastic thread from Twitter

. Undeserved panic does no one any good. But neither does ill-informed complacency. It’s wrong to assuage the public by saying “only 2% will die.” People aren’t adequately grasping the national and global systemic burden wrought by this swift-moving of a disease. 23/n

Was were I got lit, as the kids say, bang on the money, and from there on in its like she read my mind... But in a much more mathematical, clear headed & coherent way. :wacky:

Top post by you and her.

Last edited:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
if we who have Diabetes and others with medical issues thta could be affected are at risk then why are we not being given masks etc to try and ward off the virus? will we receive any of these or not??

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if we who have Diabetes and others with medical issues thta could be affected are at risk then why are we not being given masks etc to try and ward off the virus? will we receive any of these or not??
Hi @PatsyB

i would say no.

for the reasons that the masks don't really do enough to protect if not used properly,
(but i am aware that many people will believe SOME protection is perhaps better then none )

The best use for masks in my eyes, is for those who DO have a colds or sniffles
if just a cold, the germs don't spread so easily so we are all protected a little better,
IF it is Covid-19, then that early prevention will make any further outbreak at a lower level, hopefully.

But the devil is getting people to
A. do it
B. putting on and off sensibly

It should all be about prevention, as in stopping it being GIVEN to other others rather then stopping OURSELVES getting it .
Could make a heck of a difference, allied to all the other preventative measures
that could give us the best chance to slow it down and delay it back towards the warmer months.
and nearer to a workable vaccine or successful drug regime.

There IS for anyone who fancies making their own an easy to follow method, that MAY offer some comfort and protection.
Kitchen roll, tissues, masking tape, elastic, hole punch...all still readily available, at the moment.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...se-full-on-chat.163627/page-1015#post-2226568

Apparetnly 80-90% effective so they say.

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best use for masks in my eyes, is for those who DO have a colds or sniffles
if just a cold, the germs don't spread so easily so we are all protected a little better,
IF it is Covid-19, then that early prevention will make any further outbreak at a lower level, hopefully.

But the devil is getting people to
A. do it
B. putting on and off sensibly
Agreed. But at this point the biggest factor is there are none available for these sick people to use! And as an aside what if they are contagious but not yet showing sufficient symptoms to be aware they are infected? Maybe this is why China is getting to grips with it now. With everyone wearing masks it’s not being spread or caught so easily

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I should point out that using alcohol of any kind will dry out your skin and cause soreness. Homemade sanitizer recipes seem to add Aloe Vera to counteract this, but I am sticking to washing and trying not to touch hard surfaces when I'm out.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wish they would do something about getting hand sanitiser widely available as a matter of urgency. There has been none in my wider area for at least 10 days. It is the single most helpful tool for people out and about without access to handwashing. Tbh I am only comfortable handwashing in my own house.
I have made my own sanitiser and though it isnt as potent due to using 40% vodka I feel it is better than nothing.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak