Nightshift HGV

Morning i Everyone

Tonight I start back at work as a HGV driver. for the first time since being insulin dependent. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep my sugar levels normal? Are there any specific rules around hgv driving while on insulin, for example I was told by another driver I wouldnt be allowed less than 11 daily rest.

Thanks
Martin

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don’t drive HGV but I do have a class 2 truck licence for ambulance driving. I also work shifts. I have to blood test two hours before driving and every two hours (at least), as per DVLA rules, even though I use a Dexcom CGM (I’m just a student paramedic so not yet blue light trained, but I’m doing the blood tests as if I am driving). We have to have 11.5 hours rest between shifts, but we don’t use a tacho, as the crews alternate driving and attending a patient - also there’s an exemption for emergency services.

As for nightshift blood sugars, I wonder what insulin regime you’re on? I’m assuming injections if you’ve just started insulin? I’m pumping with a DIY artificial pancreas system, so it handles things for me pretty well, I have an override setting for work which runs me a little higher than if I were at home; I aim to keep in the 5-6s rather than the 4-5s I do on rest days. I usually take 80-90% of my normal doses on a nightshift. I eat a low carb meal (usually some roasted veggies and some tofu or egg for protein) when we get a meal break, as I don’t need to take extra insulin for it, so I don’t have loads sloshing about when we go back out. And of course I carry dextrose tablets in the pockets of my trousers and jacket just in case. I set the low alarm on my watch (it’s all integrated in my pretend pancreas cyborg system) slightly higher to 5mmol, so I can head off even a marginal low before it happens. It’s usually set at 4.3mmol.

If you can get Libre sensors they’d help a lot - with a little add on transmitter you can turn into a constant glucose monitoring system complete with high & low alarms on your phone and even a smartwatch. DVLA don’t accept them for driving so you’d still have to test every two hours, but it would alert you to an issue before it becomes a problem.

Good luck with your first day back x

Reactions: Dearbhla
I don’t drive HGV but I do have a class 2 truck licence for ambulance driving. I also work shifts. I have to blood test two hours before driving and every two hours (at least), as per DVLA rules, even though I use a Dexcom CGM (I’m just a student paramedic so not yet blue light trained, but I’m doing the blood tests as if I am driving). We have to have 11.5 hours rest between shifts, but we don’t use a tacho, as the crews alternate driving and attending a patient - also there’s an exemption for emergency services.

As for nightshift blood sugars, I wonder what insulin regime you’re on? I’m assuming injections if you’ve just started insulin? I’m pumping with a DIY artificial pancreas system, so it handles things for me pretty well, I have an override setting for work which runs me a little higher than if I were at home; I aim to keep in the 5-6s rather than the 4-5s I do on rest days. I usually take 80-90% of my normal doses on a nightshift. I eat a low carb meal (usually some roasted veggies and some tofu or egg for protein) when we get a meal break, as I don’t need to take extra insulin for it, so I don’t have loads sloshing about when we go back out. And of course I carry dextrose tablets in the pockets of my trousers and jacket just in case. I set the low alarm on my watch (it’s all integrated in my pretend pancreas cyborg system) slightly higher to 5mmol, so I can head off even a marginal low before it happens. It’s usually set at 4.3mmol.

If you can get Libre sensors they’d help a lot - with a little add on transmitter you can turn into a constant glucose monitoring system complete with high & low alarms on your phone and even a smartwatch. DVLA don’t accept them for driving so you’d still have to test every two hours, but it would alert you to an issue before it becomes a problem.

Thank you for the long and detailed reply. I am only on injections at the moment. Might look into the pumps in the future and the libre.

Hopefully being on nightshift doesn't alter my readings too much x

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m not finding too much of a difference - my pump settings are the same pattern over the course of 24 hours. But I only do 2-3 nights max on the trot, we alternate days, lates and nights on a roughly four on/four off cycle. The most I have is three nights together. It’s usually two days, a late then a night.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I drive adr.. in artic mostly at night

There are no additions to hgv regulations above what any other hgv driver has

The only thing you have to do is ensure you test as detailed by the dvla when they reissue your license.. minimum 2 tests a day even on days off and every 2 hours when driving

I assume you told them you are on insulin and passed all the dvla medical check??

I drive adr.. in artic mostly at night

There are no additions to hgv regulations above what any other hgv driver has

The only thing you have to do is ensure you test as detailed by the dvla when they reissue your license.. minimum 2 tests a day even on days off and every 2 hours when driving

I assume you told them you are on insulin and passed all the dvla medical check??
Yes Searley I got the thumbs up this week and know about the testing. Does working nights make your sugar levels and different to normal?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No not really.. my only fear has been hypos so I've tended to allow my levels to run a little higher as hypos and hgv licenses don't mix well and the fact that I carry extremely hazardous chemicals

I'm 10 days into using a dexcom g6 cgm which allows me to happily run with lower glucose levels and I can keep a closer eye on them

Until 4 months ago a was doing days driving gas tankers and I've not see much difference between days and nights

I still happily work a 14 to 15 hour shift. 70/80 hours a week

I make sure I have dextrose tabs along with enough food incase..

I also carry some breakfast bars in my bag just incase I have a more active day than expected..

I've ensured my bosses are well aware of my medical status

No not really.. my only fear has been hypos so I've tended to allow my levels to run a little higher as hypos and hgv licenses don't mix well and the fact that I carry extremely hazardous chemicals

I'm 10 days into using a dexcom g6 cgm which allows me to happily run with lower glucose levels and I can keep a closer eye on them

Until 4 months ago a was doing days driving gas tankers and I've not see much difference between days and nights

I still happily work a 14 to 15 hour shift. 70/80 hours a week

I make sure I have dextrose tabs along with enough food incase..

I also carry some breakfast bars in my bag just incase I have a more active day than expected..

I've ensured my bosses are well aware of my medical status
Searley thats good to know there isn't much difference. Maybe i'm worrying more than I need to , its just all new to me so still an unknown. Plus as you say, you don't want to be getting too low.

Thanks for all your help

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Searley thats good to know there isn't much difference. Maybe i'm worrying more than I need to , its just all new to me so still an unknown. Plus as you say, you don't want to be getting too low.

Thanks for all your help
Dvla should write to your gp to ensure you are given enough test strips to cover your driving

Also make sure you have a meter that will store 3 months worth if tests... if it doesn't you'll lose your license... also prior to next years medical be very careful not to miss a test.. if you do no renewal...

I use the contour next one meter as this store about 1000 readings certainly enough for 3 months... i get issues 150 stripe at a time but can order more than once a month

I did ask my doctor last time I was down to double my strips.

I use the Glucoman Areo 2K which seems to store a lot. I was told to have a separate meter for the truck, but I think I will just use the same one for all my testing. It stores a good amount of readings, more than 3 months I think.

Do you need to take time off work when it comes to renewal time . Or do they let you know in advance and you can just do it on a day off?

GAZZA2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning i Everyone

Tonight I start back at work as a HGV driver. for the first time since being insulin dependent. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep my sugar levels normal? Are there any specific rules around hgv driving while on insulin, for example I was told by another driver I wouldnt be allowed less than 11 daily rest.

Thanks
Martin

Hey Martin if I was you going back to hgv driving I'd ask your gp to get you onto the libre freestyle system for testing far more accurate and carry lucozade and couple of carbs in your cab case you get stuck in traffic and remember if you feel hypo or low pull over remove keys and move to passengers seat ! I know couple other diabetics who have suffered through DVLA by penalising them etc apart keep trucking my pals a driver for Tesco's and loves it gets to see loads of different roads and parts of the country the cab is your oyster awe the best xx

GAZZA2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Martin if I was you going back to hgv driving I'd ask your gp to get you onto the libre freestyle system for testing far more accurate and carry lucozade and couple of carbs in your cab case you get stuck in traffic and remember if you feel hypo or low pull over remove keys and move to passengers seat ! I know couple other diabetics who have suffered through DVLA by penalising them etc apart keep trucking my pals a driver for Tesco's and loves it gets to see loads of different roads and parts of the country the cab is your oyster awe the best xx
Oh and basically eat regularly little and often take yer breaks and keep plenty food stuffs and lucozade in yer truck and might take a wee while once you get back for your bloods to settle since you've been away from it etc but would definitely get signed up for the freestyle libre system DVLA like that because it's alot to test more accurate plus you can share your results with your doctor, endocrinologist and gp far easier I speak from experience that my old skool glucometer might had read 5.9 mmol and freestyle libre system had it at 4.1 mmol and that could have been the difference between hypo or not XX good luck and happy trucking good buddy ten four lol Sheriff Gazza T justice xx

Oh and basically eat regularly little and often take yer breaks and keep plenty food stuffs and lucozade in yer truck and might take a wee while once you get back for your bloods to settle since you've been away from it etc but would definitely get signed up for the freestyle libre system DVLA like that because it's alot to test more accurate plus you can share your results with your doctor, endocrinologist and gp far easier I speak from experience that my old skool glucometer might had read 5.9 mmol and freestyle libre system had it at 4.1 mmol and that could have been the difference between hypo or not XX good luck and happy trucking good buddy ten four lol Sheriff Gazza T justice xx
Hi Gazza

Thanks for all the advice. I shall definately look into the libre system. I've got a good wee meter but if the libre is more accurate i might try that instead . But I am only getting back so that will need to be done over time unfortunately.

I have a few bits and pieces in my bag like lucozade and food stuff. Time will tell, as you say it will settle after a while.

Keep er lit lol

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
my old skool glucometer might had read 5.9 mmol and freestyle libre system had it at 4.1 mmol
I've got a good wee meter but if the libre is more accurate i might try that instead .

Libre tends to read low - a glucometer is still the gold standard for knowing what your glucose level is. That's why DVLA don't accept Libre for larger vehicles. Libre is not more accurate than blood; it lags behind by about 15 minutes because it measures the fluid between your cells rather than blood.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The exact number is a little irrelevant so long as its in the right ballpark.. its useful as you can see the trend which is more important... you still need to do the blood tests aswell

If you get the libre consider one of the bluetooth transmitters so you can use it like a cgm. If used with xdrip you can calibrate it to be more accurate

I use the dexcom g6 cgm for the allerts

Reactions: Janslv

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The exact number is a little irrelevant so long as its in the right ballpark..
Not as far as DVLA are concerned. If you drop below 4mmol on blood, saying you had a Libre reading above that is irrelevant. That’s why they insist on 2-hourly blood for driving large vehicles. We can use sensors for guidance and early warnings, but blood is the only acceptable measure for lorries and buses.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not as far as DVLA are concerned. If you drop below 4mmol on blood, saying you had a Libre reading above that is irrelevant. That’s why they insist on 2-hourly blood for driving large vehicles. We can use sensors for guidance and early warnings, but blood is the only acceptable measure for lorries and buses.

Incorrect as they now accept libre for car no blood test required

HGV is different and actual blood tests required

You can not be done for having a BG below 4 whilst driving.. you only ever be prosecuted if showing physical/mental affects of being hypo

So again the exact number is a little irrelevant is how you feel/ac

Also bear in mind some people especially those new to insulin can have false hypo’s with much higher bg’s would still be illegal to drive like that even though a meter shows you to be ok

So again my original statement stands

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77