Why pay pump insurance?

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently using the Omnipod and paying £7.50 per month for insurance. Have had 2 issues with the PDM both have been when changing the battery... After changing the battery PDM didnt switch on... Blank screen... Just gave up the ghost. After phoning Insulett and giving the serial number of the PDM.. Was advised a new PDM would be sent out. Can't fault the customer service... On both occasions received the PDM the following day. I asked about returning the faulty ones and was advised to just bin them as they wouldn't be fixed or refurbished as it wouldn't be worthwhile. I am seriously thinking about cancelling my insurance as I can't see the point if the PDMs are of so little financial value and if they pack up will just be replaced. Any thoughts on this?

D

Deleted member 308541

I know nothing about pump insurance etc, but we were thinking of cancelling our home contents insurance of $35.00 a month which we had been paying for nearly 20 years that we have been living here without a claim.

A couple of weeks ago my nine year old beer fridge died, so I put a claim in on the insurance. I got a new fridge within days of the claim being processed. I had to pay $200.00 excess, and $100.00 was deducted for the amount of food that was spoilt so only paid $100.00

We are not cancelling the insurance now.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know nothing about pump insurance etc, but we were thinking of cancelling our home contents insurance of $35.00 a month which we had been paying for nearly 20 years that we have been living here without a claim.

A couple of weeks ago my nine year old beer fridge died, so I put a claim in on the insurance. I got a new fridge within days of the claim being processed. I had to pay $200.00 excess, and $100.00 was deducted for the amount of food that was spoilt so only paid $100.00

We are not cancelling the insurance now.

That must be one fancy fridge to have paid over AU$8000 for it. :wideyed:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess it depends on 2 things - the price of the pump/device and how quickly you want the replacement.
For instance I believe the pump I'm going to be getting costs about £3000 give or take, if I accidentally damage it that's going to hurt my bank account a lot!

Last edited:

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did not pay $8000.00 for it, you must have missed reading the $100.00 excess I mentioned. :meh:

No, I included it in the final figure.
((35x12)x19.5)+100 = AU$8290

Granted, you paid very slowly for it. :cool:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Currently using the Omnipod and paying £7.50 per month for insurance. Have had 2 issues with the PDM both have been when changing the battery... After changing the battery PDM didnt switch on... Blank screen... Just gave up the ghost. After phoning Insulett and giving the serial number of the PDM.. Was advised a new PDM would be sent out. Can't fault the customer service... On both occasions received the PDM the following day. I asked about returning the faulty ones and was advised to just bin them as they wouldn't be fixed or refurbished as it wouldn't be worthwhile. I am seriously thinking about cancelling my insurance as I can't see the point if the PDMs are of so little financial value and if they pack up will just be replaced. Any thoughts on this?
They cost several hundred pounds to replace - what if you lose it?

My insurance costs the same, and was a condition of my having a pump, it's standard at my clinic.

Reactions: Medusa41

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My pump is covered by my house insurance (Direct Line) with no extra charge. It even covers the pump when I'm on holiday.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't have pump insurance for a long while, but I am clumsy and my pump was forever falling from my waistband and whacking into various things, fortunately it's never been damaged enough to need replacing, but now I have insurance and I don't have to worry so much about breaking my pump. If I did break it and I didn't have insurance, I couldn't afford a replacement.
@Postleneo if you lost or damaged your PDM wouldn't you have to pay to replace it if you didn't have insurance?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My pump is covered by my house insurance (Direct Line) with no extra charge. It even covers the pump when I'm on holiday.

Your house insurance will take forever to get a new pump to you and will charge you an excess.

@Postleneo the PDM will cost a few hundred pounds to replace. If you loose it then Insulet will not replace it

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never had pump insurance in the 18 years I have had insulin pumps, have to say never been asked if I had insurance so I will have to ask if I need insurance, it may be different here in France, my pump supplier always gives me a spare pump for holidays and they gave me a new pump when my pump had break in the casing no cost to me

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never had pump insurance in the 18 years I have had insulin pumps, have to say never been asked if I had insurance so I will have to ask if I need insurance, it may be different here in France, my pump supplier always gives me a spare pump for holidays and they gave me a new pump when my pump had break in the casing no cost to me
Did you have to purchase your pump? In the UK we get some of them supplied free . This is a condition of contract as NHS could not afford this. Maybe this is why we need to have insurance?

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have now renewed my insurance separately to house insurance as covers immediate action / replacement etc directly with Omnipod / via NHS insurance company generally by the next day . Fee £6.95 pcm.

Last edited:

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you have to purchase your pump? In the UK we get some of them supplied free . This is a condition of contract as NHS could not afford this. Maybe this is why we need to have insurance?
No you do not have to pay for your pump in France, I was on the freestyle libre but just started using the minimed sensors again I do not have to pay, I have had to have my pump replaced because of cracks in the body but have not been asked to pay or for insurance, that's just me perhaps others in France have had a different experience

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That’s interesting thanks, I was told we’re not covered for accidental damage etc.Also with insurance they cover theft/ loss etc. But functional problems are covered by pump manufacturers. (Sorry to assume you may pay but difficult to know what happens in other countries.)

Last edited: